Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Were lead glandes blunt or edged? (Read 2997 times)
Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Were lead glandes blunt or edged?
Nov 14th, 2016 at 9:31pm

Most glandes you see are blunt, but from a video I watched, some people think they became blunt through the years of deterioration, and originally were sharp. So... which?

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: Were lead glandes blunt or edged?
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 10:03am

not sure but i think they would use the most aerodynamic shape, simple and also easy to make .

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 11:34am

depends on how sophisticated the casting was.
often there would be ledge of lead and general all roung rough edges.

Given that glandes drill their way through things, then pointy ends and rough casting would actually increase the damge done, while not effecting flight performance all that much.

Rough edges would also increase flight noise. So would be psychologically advantageous.
Rough edges would also give better purchase on a sling pouch and impart greater spin to the missile.

So a rough and ready casting would actually be better in many ways than a really clean smooth one.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 9:08pm

I've handled ancient Greek sling bullets which were as pointy as knitting needles. Also noticed on limestone moulds file marks where the business ends were accentuated. But I've also seen other which were blunt

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2016 at 11:37pm

It's reasonable to guess that people used various methods based on their own experience, preferences, traditions, and applications. Particularly when there are advantages to either blunt and smooth vs. sharp and rough.

I wonder how much skill would be required to throw bullets so that they consistently stick pointy ended in?  Undecided

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 11:43pm

I'd say that it wouldn't be too difficult to release with point first. What the ancient Greek lead bullets all are is quite smooth (with some surface degradation due to age)-- to the point that they shine.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 7:10am

what the picture doesn't show is the fact that they were slightly flattened, which helps drill.

The whole point of a glande shape is that as long as it spins along the central/long axis it will self orient in flight to travel point first.  Imparting spin is important.

It's to do with either centripetal or centrifugal force of some kind - depending on which pedant you ask whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 9:36am

@curious_aardvark it's the rotational inertia that keeps it stabilised.

i can't see a point making them more flat, it could be aesthetics , terminal ballistics,maybe the sound they make travelling through air,or has something to do with drag,
but it doesnt seem it would add stability (note: i've only thrown round lead glandes)

edit: this is my 250th post !!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2016 at 3:23pm by johan »  

IP Logged

Drakolith
Funditor

U.S.
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 6:50pm

This is the video I'm talking about. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpu-BCSfJ2c

“When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.”

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 8:26am

Those guys really don't know what they are talking about.

Roll Eyes

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 1:42am

I gave measures on this site once, at least for the Greek ones I knew and had handled. Basically a it longer than 3cm, a bit less than 1.5 cm high, and say 1.2cm thick-- i.e the section was ellipsoid rather than flat. There are spanish lead projectiles that are quite flat.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:46am

Having used plenty of almond cross-sectioned glandes I don't see the appeal over round.  If there was a lot of them out there, there was obviously some advantage. If nothing else maybe it was easier to manufacture.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 5:01am

Maybe there was also different types of ammo depending on the mission/engagement.

A skilled slinger would be familiar with the characteristics of different projectiles. For a long range bombardment I would prefer a biconical with distance characteristics. We all know what those are if you've ever slung lead. If you trained every day, you would also know how far a 1oz, 2oz and 3oz projectile would go.

If my slinging was going to be 100m or less, I might want a flatter, sharper or perhaps longer projectile that would buzz, rip out chunks of skin and scare people.

Perhaps a well stocked armoury contained a few different variations to choose from.

I'm guessing this variation has more to do with the mission, lead being so easy to cast I'm sure you could probably tell them how many/what type of bullets you would need.

I'd love to go back in time and see how much we've gotten wrong when it comes to slinging.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 7:56am

@Mark-Harrop
for close distances i would prefer heavy stones that make openings at shield formations so arrows may enter
but if  there was no armor or shield i would use what you said

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 6:02pm

Most sling bullets weigh around 30-40g; but there are a good number of very heavy slugs which clock in at 100+g. They're immediately noticeable in museum collections. If these were indeed for slings, and not e.g. catapults, then I supposed they were special ammo (distance or impact ?)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker)