Send Topic Print
Your Slinging Haven (Read 3538 times)
Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
Your Slinging Haven
Oct 30th, 2016 at 3:35pm

Today i spent roughly 3 hours peacefully slinging besides (and sometimes in  Tongue) a river next to vast farming land on both sides. It was really great, there were nearly no people around (so noone possibly endangered and noone being nosy) i had unlimited ammo lying around everywhere and the weather was playing itīs part.
It was also my first time really trying to improve and test my aim. Before i simply tried out different styles and was looking how far i could sling. (Today i measured about 75 meters with a rock which i think is okay!)
I didn`t score a lot of hits in the time i was there by the river, but everytime i managed to hit the rock i was aiming at, it was a boost.
All in all it was simply a great day. Slinging in that kind of environment really clears my mind and lets me relax.
I canīt wait to go there again. Next time i want to take some kind of portable target with me. A wooden pole with a metal plate that i can carry and jam into the ground or something.

Now, tell me of your "slinging havens" and where and how you practice slinging and wether it has the same effect on you.
Pictures of these places would of course be superb!
I will make sure to take some next time i got there.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Your Slinging Haven
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 5:18pm

My girlfriend's parents have a summer cottage next to a lake (in Finland EVERYONE has a summer cottage next to a lake) and it's right out in the middle of the forest. It has a fair few other cottages around it but there are so many trees it's easy to forget about them. I've spent hours just constantly slinging down by the lakeside and whenever I'm called back up to the cottage for food or for something else I'm always saying "Just one more good hit and then I'll go up... Well that one wasn't quite perfect so maybe one more...". I've easily spent 4 or 5 hours in a day just slinging. To be honest though it's more than just my slinging haven it's my haven in general. There is no place in the world I've found so far that makes me feel as calm and relaxed as there. I would live there 365 days a year if I could but what with the winters you can get over here making the roads (read "dirt tracks") impossible to use (and other little distractions like life) it's not possible. If I could though I would be there now. I would be freezing cold but I would be there now.

I think the only picture I have is of my targets which I posted elsewhere but I'll throw it up. It's basically what I'm staring at for most of the time I'm there Smiley

P.S. I also really want a good long lasting portable target. Good idea with the pole and metal sheet.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 7:15pm

looks suspiciously like where timpa hangs out.
if you see a man in a balaclava, with a loaded nail axe over one shoulder, crossed bandoliers of throwing nails, a sling bag full of ball bearings and half  a telephone book in one hand.
Well it's too late, you should have started running before you saw him Smiley

Slinging havens. Don't get to them very often - but you can't beat a pebble beach.
Unlimited ammo, a target nobody can miss (the sea) - awesome.
http://www.chesilbeach.org/chesil/
Chesil Beach
18 miles and 180 billion pebbles

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 9:39pm

well i have a few places i throw my uncle owns a marina on lake jordan in alabama and i go up there and throw a good bit we have a small bit of land fairly close to the marina i throw at then i have the farm we go to and then the woods and field up by my house so i have lots of places my only problem is ammo i usually have to make my own with the rusty balls at the marina i can find some rocks that are big enough

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 9:40pm

big lakes and stuff are excellent to see how far you are throwing especially when its really calm you make excellent splashes haha

IP Logged

Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 4:30pm

Just wanted to share a picture (sadly canīt attach more than one picture) of my above mentioned slinging have.

The wooden block in the middle was my target.

Been there today - was great

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 8:42pm

That looks really peaceful!

I have a bunch of spots but haven't had an opportunity to get out there recently. When I do, I'll snap some pics and post them up for ya'll.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2016 at 7:17pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 30th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
looks suspiciously like where timpa hangs out.
if you see a man in a balaclava, with a loaded nail axe over one shoulder, crossed bandoliers of throwing nails, a sling bag full of ball bearings and half  a telephone book in one hand.
Well it's too late, you should have started running before you saw him Smiley

Yes, the best to be on the alert. Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 9:38am

I go to the railroad tracks. I have an old road sign with a pink yoga mat circle glued to the middle of it that I nailed to an electricity pole. There are blackberry and raspberry bushes at hand as well as a crab apple tree for explosive ammo. If I go a bit further up the tracks, there's a large pond I can sling across or skip rocks on.
There's the odd passerby but they're usually friendly or indifferent:)

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2016 at 1:48pm

This is one of my humble spots. I like it because it's not too windy, and is relatively easy to get to in varying weather conditions. Not bad fishing either.

20160607_175620.jpg (31 KB | 84 )
20160607_175620.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 5:06pm

My slinging havens used to be just about anywhere I walked my last two Huskies. I would find targets of opportunity anywhere I walked with Kali and Odin. The woods, empty school yards, parks which are mostly abandoned in the colder months, lakes, athletic fields, etc.. I don't get to sling much at all these days. My current Little Devils, Pandora and Max, are still too unruly to sling with or even walk together. I'm not concerned. They are only two. By the time they're four I'll have a couple of good slinging buddies again and I'll be able to get back into it.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 5:17pm

@ratman  I spend alot of time down at red bank battlefield into the river.  Plenty of rocks, never an issue with people.  Most like to sit and watch.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 6:18am

Mein kleines Slinger Paradies. Einmal hatte ich Besuch.  Drei Wölfe standen oberhalb der Diane.  Sie schauten mir zu. Nur selten kommen Menschen.

20161128_133129.jpg (1532 KB | 69 )
20161128_133129.jpg

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

okapimike
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 5:16am

At 0:50 is mine. There's a horse riding path in, and they expose fresh stones.

My dog too, my deepest sympathies to you Ratman. I was reminded how sad I was when Mauro's dog Tito died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGt6uwv6PFU

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 8:36pm

I don't have one anymore. Used to have 2. My ideal spot would have both perfect stones and clay  with some sort of cliff edge to help catch errant shots.  Also, a beach and a lake and one of those women like in a boxing match that carries around the Round 2 signs, for each round of slinging.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, vetryan15)