Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slingers at the Battle of Hastings 2016 (Read 4795 times)
Godwin_Ardenson
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

York
Slingers at the Battle of Hastings 2016
Oct 28th, 2016 at 8:02am

I thought you'd all be interested in seeing The Vikings reenactment group slinger division attending the Battle of Hastings 950th anniversary reenactment this year. I've attached a couple of pictures of us in action, walking onto the field and skirmishing the Normans. Although we numbered only seven out of an estimated 1200 combatants on the field I thought we had a really positive effect on the battle and looked really excellent. In the first picture I am the slinger at the front in the white kyrtle.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Slingers at the Battle of Hastings 2016
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 10:52am

Do you actually have a rock in the first picture?  Are you trying to make the reenactment as realistic as possible?  Grin

It looks like in the second picture that everyone is starting to get hit by archers?

IP Logged

Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 1:32pm

Wow - looks really impressive. Awesome idea for Reenactment as well, i bet there´s not too many slingers in the Reenactment scene.
The Photo also looks very professional.

How did you go about the Battle? What were you doing with that heavy Rock?  Grin
And what did you and the other slingers do after you hat depleted your Rocks/ the Melee began?

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 1:33pm

nice photos
have you ever larped with a sling?
also i have to ask, what is that huge arrow in the background of the first picture?

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 4:06pm

Those pics look great. Thanks for sharing

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 9:02am

did you come to the recent missile training day in tamworth ?
I'd be lying If I said I recognised you, but that doesn't mean anything  lol
Surprised only 7 of you at hastings, I got the impression that most of the guys at tamworth were going.

Did you get any of the volley slinging done ?

I did get asked to go to hastings, just couldn't fit it in.

Looked like fun though Smiley 

Oh yeah, nice hat Thumbs Up

Not a rock. They use beanbags wrapped in ducttape - silver ducttape looks remarkably rocklike Smiley

I do recognise the guy in the second picture in the: 'come and have a go if you think you're hard enough' posture Smiley
Good bloke. I'm no good with names, but he did make me a cup of coffee Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Godwin_Ardenson
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

York
Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 11:09am

Wow, lot's of questions! Glad you liked the pictures and I'll try and answer as fully as possible.

Bill Skinner: As Curious_Aardvark said it's not in fact a rock but a 3 ounce bag of dried peas wrapped in duct tape, which looks surprisingly rock like from a distance but slings well and won't injure someone. In the second picture the Saxon line is indeed about to receive a Norman archery bombardment, with the slingers moving forward to skirmish the archers.

Alex.Ost: As I said they're not rocks but essentially duct tape beanbags. I didn't actually run out of shots in the battle (I bought 110 bullets onto the field and used about 80), however it did involve a lot of the slingers running forward to scavenge shots back when the armies broke up.

Parmenion: I've never larped with a sling, since I've never really found any systems that are friendly to it, but I'd be interested to hear if you know any? And yes, it is a sculpture of a giant arrow. Not sure why English heritage thought that was a good idea.

Curious_Aardvark: I was at Tamworth, and I took my original sling test there. We did meet, as I still have your business card, but I don't blame you for not remembering me  Tongue. Hastings was great fun, and we did get some good volleys onto the Norman line. The guy in the second picture is Taran, one of the Viking's best slingers and a sling thegn.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 5:35am

Godwin_Ardenson wrote on Oct 29th, 2016 at 11:09am:
I've never larped with a sling, since I've never really found any systems that are friendly to it, but I'd be interested to hear if you know any?

i've never larped but if you did i was wondering what the rules would be and what projectiles you would throw ...

slinging ,larping, reenactment,airsoft, are some things i first met on the internet and are very rare in my country

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 8:15am

Ah the you were the chap who turned up late - decent fig 8 as i recall, it was the costume that confused me Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 9:45pm

looks great and like alot of fun

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)