Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Other materials for slings (Read 1083 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Other materials for slings
Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:19pm

I think one of the really interesting things with slings is how many different materials they can be made out of so I wanted to ask a general and a way more specific question.

The more specific one: Has anyone used waxed string to make a braided sling and if they have how did it turn out? I've seen it's really cheap off the internet and might give it a try.

The more general question: What are some of the more unusual materials you've seen used? This is just from pure curiosity Smiley

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: Other materials for slings
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 5:03pm

Kick wrote on Oct 26th, 2016 at 2:19pm:
Has anyone used waxed string to make a braided sling and if they have how did it turn out?

i once made a waxed linen braided one. i didn't like it, it was sticky and heavier than normal .

one of my first slings had a pouch made out of medical mask.
made some slings with a pouch of cotton cloth and jeans.
i ve made some split pouches with a combination of linen/cotton and nylon cords in the braid
i've never ever used leather on a sling

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 5:55pm

Ah shame. I still want to try and make a natural fibre sling at some point. I've seen plenty of videos using grass and the like so that would be interesting to try out.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 11:23pm

I've waxed hemp and jute with bees wax after the slings were braided. I've also used jojoba oil on commrtcial sisal and wild crafted yucca. Dogbane is excellent for whipping and constrictor knots Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2016 at 7:37am

materials used to make slings:
ducttape - actually found one I made years ago when recently clearing my desk: pouch and whole sling
medical tape - pouch
plastic shopping bags: shredded and braided.
leather - both fully leather braided (got 2, I think) and just for pouch usage. My first sling had leather shoelace cords and I think a single layer denim pouch - not recommended unless it's braided leather - they snapped in use.

Denim - both single and double
Alligator hide - pouch
3D printed Flexible Polylactic Acid - currently that one's just me Smiley  used for Pouches and finger loops.
All manner of natural fibres and animal hair & wool
manmade cord of all sizes and descriptions

And that lot's just the ones I've got or have made.

You can make a sling out of just about anything.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2016 at 2:05pm by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 6:37pm

Fire hose. (Was not good.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)