Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bolas target (Read 2226 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Bolas target
Oct 24th, 2016 at 12:20pm

Anyone watching this Other Primitive Weapons board will know I've posting about the bolas recently and one of the big problems I have now that winter is coming round (and coming round hard right now let me tell you) is that I now don't have the opportunity to go out to the Summer cottage (I am in Finland after all) and practice slinging and using the bolas. I went and scouted out some local fields which worked out great for the sling with a cardboard box target but I now wanted to take the bolas but I don't have a good target for it and wasn't completely sure where I would be able to find a good sizable stick. Also trying to stick anything into the ground is only going to get harder as it gets colder. So this is my solution. A metal pipe (which I think is from some piece of discarded furniture) and a bit of fairly thin wire passed through some pre-drilled holes to hold it up.Should be sturdy enough and will basically never break or wear out. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet but I can see some potential problems.

1. It might be very loud hitting it with metal lug nuts and a metal washer
2. It might b a bit too slippy to get a proper wrap around.

Hopefully these won't be too bad but I'll see when I get out there Cheesy

Also I updated my bolas to have a new more secure knot and changed out the lug nut on the long cord with a lighter washer to help with the wrapping.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Bolas target
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 3:35pm

wrap some tape round your nuts (okay that's just funny) if you want a quieter impact sound.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 3:58pm

I do have quite a bit of spare leather so I might try that. Hopefully it won't affect how it flies too much.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 3:17pm

Kick wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 12:20pm:
I am in Finland after all

Cheesy

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 4:22pm

Have you considered rubberizing the bolts/lugs using a rubber spray or dip? Might help to keep the noise levels down.

If the pipe is too smooth, you could file it a bit.

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 4:41pm

If only I had the money... I didn't even buy the lug nuts I found then discarded on a building site Cheesy

Because of the terrible weather recently I haven't had a chance to try out the target but I do have sandpaper so roughing it up could work.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 9:25pm

Drill some holes in the pipe and put a stick or dowel through to give the cords something to wrap around.  Just like your stand but much shorter and at right angles.

Glue some old carpet or some thick cloth on to the pipe.  That will deaden the noise, help protect the pipe and add some friction so the bolas doesn't slip off too easily.

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 9:47pm

and if you filled the pipe with something pretty dense itd probably help deaden the sound and add weight

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 6:00am

Thanks for all the great suggestions. It's snowing currently so looks like I might have to try all these out at a later time Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)