Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hello from Finland! (Read 2713 times)
Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Hello from Finland!
Oct 14th, 2016 at 7:34am

Hi! I'm a long time stalker of the forum and only now got around to getting a log in. I've been slinging now for two years (about) and made quite a few slings along the way. It's so great that for such a "niche" hobby the community is wide and has such great resources. Can't wait to help contribute what little I can Smiley

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Re: Hello from Finland!
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 11:42am

welcome from Alabama in the USA

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 8:55pm

And another welcome from the US.

I believe Timpa is also from Finland.  Whether or not you are close to each other is another story. Grin

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 6:29am

I've watched a lot of his videos and they're really great but yeah I think he's further North than I am Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 11:25am

Kick wrote on Oct 15th, 2016 at 6:29am:
I've watched a lot of his videos and they're really great but yeah I think he's further North than I am Cheesy

I bet that is a relief Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 11:19pm

Hello and welcome aboard!!! It has been a coons age since I've logged onto this site. Happy to see another Finn has taken up this hobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife is Finn!!!!! I'm probably the only American member that understands "SISU"! Maybe we can meet during Vaapu?

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 9:47am

Well I suppose I should come clean. I'm actually English but I'm living in Finland and my girlfriend is Finnish and I've been visiting Finland since I was a baby. Lots of open space, forests, lakes, saunas, summer cottages... I may not have been born here but it's definitely home Cheesy

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 11:16am

Wait a minute! I was slinging for two years before joining the forum!? OK. So I've been slinging now for almost 7 years now. Why wasn't I better by the time I joined and why aren't I better now? Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 11:18am

You’re a big contributor now!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 11:19am

Some would say I contribute too much Cheesy Edging ever closer to 3000 posts.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 1:06pm

Kick wrote on Jul 4th, 2020 at 11:16am:
Wait a minute! I was slinging for two years before joining the forum!? OK. So I've been slinging now for almost 7 years now. Why wasn't I better by the time I joined and why aren't I better now? Cheesy

On a serious note, many here have this problem including me
We call ourselves slingers of 5 years, 10 years or 20 years, but tis meaningless.
Our actual skill level is determined by how much we train consistently according to a fixed protocol
Having fun with a sling once a week at a park for a lifetime isn't going to make a good slinger

You need consistent practice and method like Jaegoor.
The problem is that we lack time/space and good teachers.
I think give Jaegoor a pupil with time and he could train a slinger in a month that is better than most of us

Many of us suck because we don't take the hobby seriously enough, I hadn't until recently

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 2:34pm

Very true. Just the short time talking with him and getting pointers during the International was invaluable. I really think meeting other slingers in person is so useful which makes being in Finland, with no other slingers but Timpa up north who I've yet to meet, a little sucky.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 5:10am

Well the global environment might just make my plans for Mallorca fall through again Angry Angry Angry

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2020 at 6:57am

There's still time. A lot can change in just, a few months. I guess that also means it could get worse...

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 7:21pm

Kick wrote on Jul 15th, 2020 at 6:57am:
There's still time. A lot can change in just, a few months. I guess that also means it could get worse...

When is the international competition usually?

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)