Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging in the Tain Bo Cuaigne (Read 2781 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Slinging in the Tain Bo Cuaigne
Sep 23rd, 2016 at 6:29am

After the whole affair of the cattle raid, Queen Maeve returns home to Connacht. There, she daily took a bath in a well on the shore of Lough Ri.
Furbaide was the son of Conchober, who had been killed by Maeve.  It was his custom to set up a stake and place an apple on it, and practice slinging at it.  One day, he spotted Maeve taking her bath, and not waiting to find a stone, launched a piece of cheese at her. It  hit her in the head, killing her.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Slinging in the Tain Bo Cuaigne
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 7:05am

well a good hard parmesan would do some damage.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 12:00pm

Almost exactly two years ago, I gathered some references to slings in Old Irish literature

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1411174021

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 9:36pm

thats a little funny in a dark sorta way i wouldn't have thought "hey lets hit her with cheese"

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 8:54am

It's interesting as slings seem to have much higher status in ancient ireland than elsewhere in the world.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 8:10pm

There was a type of cheese in Ireland, called tanach, that so dense and hard,supposedly it could be used as a weapon. Of course if that's the case, how the heck do you eat it?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 11:04pm

cutting it into thinner slices i guess or breaking it into small bitts

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2016 at 6:56am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 24th, 2016 at 8:54am:
It's interesting as slings seem to have much higher status in ancient ireland than elsewhere in the world.

Because for some reason, the bow never seemed to present in ancient Ireland. The Anglo Normans seemed to introduce it. So, you needed other ways of taking out the enemy at a long distance. Slings and javelins.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)