Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
my penobscot stick sling/atl atl (Read 4517 times)
jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
my penobscot stick sling/atl atl
Sep 10th, 2016 at 11:54pm

i had made a atl atl a while back and have used it a good bit it was never as much fun as the sling for me as its easier to get to use the sling since ammo is everywhere and the sling can just go in my pocket my atl atl hasn't been used as much but i recently heard about the penobscot stick sling so i decided to put the sling part on the handle side of my atl atl so its a more versatile weapon run out of darts flip it around and is a sling i used twine to make it and i did a normal four strand braid when i reached the length i wanted i split off to make a split pouch for the loop that the rock goes in so i can throw a wider variety of stones than i could have if i tried to have it just a single strip (or thats the idea anyway) i havent had a chance to throw with it any but i am excited to give her a shot and ill post some time as a comment to this if it ended up working and what i got from it if anyone on here knows much about this id love to hear any tips and tricks to it i assume to just treat it like any other stick or staff sling so ill start there and if it dont work ill monkey with it a bit

IMG_3255__1_.JPG (1383 KB | 287 )
IMG_3255__1_.JPG

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Re: my penobscot stick sling/atl atl
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 9:10pm

it didnt work for me i saw a video on youtube about it and thought id give it a shot but what i made didnt work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCVkrVSWwPs that was the video

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 8:34am

The design in the video looks odd, it has no real release. The ammo just falls out of the pouch at some point during the throw.

I would try a conventional staff sling with a carved release hook,  they work very well.

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 10:25pm

yeah after i tried to throw with it and actually thought about the sling it didnt make sense and it was a bit frustrating because i saw it work for him and i was doing the same thing as him and nothing happened

IP Logged

coyoteslinger
Novicius

SW Slinger

AZ
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 3:17pm

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay, I'm not on here very often.

For my stick sling to work, I really learned the technique of a quick whip motion. When doing this, it releases similarly to a staff sling. I know the video is only a couple minutes long of me slinging, but I spent most of the morning getting the technique down.

Also, it's super picky with ammo type. Think pebbles, not rocks. Smaller seems to work better, but not too small of course. Thumbish size or a bit bigger works best I found.

Hope that helps!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 5:03pm

Very interesting device. Those Penobscots were sure innovative. I have to agree with some of the other posts though it seems like even if one gets the throw down to correctly release, I'm having trouble figuring out how one times it precisely enough to release and hit a given target. But hey if it works it works, got to give them credit.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:11am

Nice I love such weapons will try it out soon.the,throwing style reminds me a lot of a arrow whip

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 8:11pm

Saw this video today , think I'm gonna go for a bush walk and find a nice stick.
Try make a staff or stick sling maybe.

Any tips??

Looks like fun.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 5:29pm

Very inspiring!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man)