Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling Hunting (short story) (Read 4351 times)
Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Sling Hunting (short story)
Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:03pm

So yesterday i was talking to the groundskeeper at my school, hes an old man and he has some pretty amazing stories about hunting and hunting methods, so i mentioned that i was going to shoot some birds with my shotgun now that bird season got started, he told me he doesn't care for shooting pigeons, so we got to talking when suddenly he mentioned that he likes to use his sling to scare away the crows that gather around his house, i asked him were he got his sling and he told me it was a gift from his native american friends in california, he told me also that they used to hunt quail with them, i though that was pretty interesting.

IP Logged

Disciple
Tiro

1 Samuel 17

California
Re: Sling Hunting (short story)
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 12:58am

That is pretty interesting. Did he happen to name what tribe his native Americans friends are from? I live in California right next to the Morongo Indian tribe. Also, what type of hunting do you like to do? Opening season for dove just started here.  Smiley

Timothy Paxson
God Bless!

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 1:31am

that sounds like fun hunting quail with a sling that would take some skill i can kill a rabbit when its sitting still and thats not even a sure hit for me it may take 2 or 3 shots to get on him but a quail in mid flight that is a good shot

IP Logged

Whipartist
Past Moderator

Stone Slinger/Stick Thrower

Sand Creek, CA
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 3:03am

That's a neat contact to make!  Sling hunting would be really difficult so they must have had some real skill.  The windup takes long, even on a one spin throw, and the game can startle before the shot makes it to the target.  Slings seem best suited for pest control and animal herding but if you can hunt with one successfully, you're awesome!   

For primitive hunting of small game S. California Indians such as the Hopi would often use a basic rabbit stick.  Quail and dove stick together in one place and the stick makes odds of a hit high by acting like the shotgun.  If brush is thick then a bow would be my choice.   

Has anyone practiced sling hunting that can tell what techniques were the best for them?

Ben

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 4:25am

Schauen sie flying sling Target

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Disciple
Tiro

1 Samuel 17

California
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 4:18pm

I saw your YouTube video on flying targets Jaegoor, you've got skill! A ton a practice!

Timothy Paxson
God Bless!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 5:12pm

Thanks. Training is vital. Luckily I have a few good friends. They support me. Meanwhile I also meet a flying bottle...

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Disciple
Tiro

1 Samuel 17

California
Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 5:56pm

That's great you have the support of your friends. What type of sling do you use?  Huh

Timothy Paxson
God Bless!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 6:39pm

Balearic Modell

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 10:36pm

Disciple, he did mention the name of the tribe but i donīt remember it, iīll make sure to ask later, and as for what type of hunting i like?,  i like to hunt birds more than anything, dove, duck, quail and pheasant, also aquirrels, its way more fun than deer hunting, i mostly like to use primitive weapons like bows, crossbows, blowguns and slings but lately ive taken a liking to the shotgun  Roll Eyes, altho hunting quail isnīt that hard around here, i can reliably get close enough to shoot at a covey with my recurve and i sometimes get them on the wing, in fact, i actually think it would be easier to hunt them with a sling because i donīt need to retrieve my ammo, but i would only do wingshots because if you are close enough they will always fly as soon as you start your windup, like Whipartist said, i had that happen to me once, i got about ten yards from a covey but as soon as i started my windup they flew away, never used my sling to try to hunt quail, been meaning to tho. A friend of mine hunts quail with a stick like the hoppi natives, he gets them on the fly to, i dont know how the hoppis hunt rabit with a stick tho, its way to slow, they always bolt as soon as they see me do the motion or the stick going towards them.

IP Logged

Disciple
Tiro

1 Samuel 17

California
Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 2:45pm

Do you make your own slings, Jaegoor? Onager Lovac, cool deal, we hunt the same birds.  That's awesome you use primitive weapons though,I only hunt using shot guns. Yeah if you could let me know what type of native American Indians his friends are,I'm curious.   Smiley

Timothy Paxson
God Bless!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 3:16pm

I make my Slings myself. Here a small choice

http://fundamittere.jimdo.com/schleudergalerie/schleudern-von-jaegoor/

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Disciple
Tiro

1 Samuel 17

California
Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:38pm

Those slings look great, Jaegoor! Very impressive!

Timothy Paxson
God Bless!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:44pm

Thanks  Roll Eyes Wink Grin

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Disciple
Tiro

1 Samuel 17

California
Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 8:16pm

Welcome!

Timothy Paxson
God Bless!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)