Send Topic Print
Who Would You Choose? (Read 3591 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Who Would You Choose?
Aug 19th, 2016 at 4:33am

You are going to be stuck in an elevator with a famous rock star. Who would it be? There are two parts to this question. You pick one live rock star and you get to bring one back from the dead. Who would you choose?
   My dead star would be Jimi Hendrix with Johnny Cash running a close second. You might not consider Johnny Cash a rock star but he is in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    My live rock star would be Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin fame. Who would you choose?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Who Would You Choose?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:02am

Buddy Holley and.....wow, I wouldn't want to be around most of the living ones.  Tom Petty? 

Pink or Katie Perry? 

(They're both hot, what's not to like about getting stuck in an elevator with a hot chick?) 

((Yes, I know that's sexist.  Grin ))

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 12:33pm

lol well robert plant if this were the star you most wanted to bludgeon and time travel was involved so i could stop led zeppelin from ever being formed. But then you might lose all the GOOD bands they supposedly influenced. (say how about we DON'T play or sound like led zeppelin Smiley.

Hmm, Well dead it would have to be scott columbus the deceased drummer from manowar. Sooo many untold stories and we could talk trash about joey de maio Smiley

The lyrics are surprisingly accurate. When i went to see manowar in denmark - someone did give me a beer Thumbs Up

Live one, Hmmm. 

maybe mick box - uriah heep, the only surviving original member. Nice guy and pretty much been there and done that, or maybe billy gibbons for the same reasons (and you have to know who billy gibbons is), or maybe sammy hagar and we could talk bbq as well as music Thumbs Up

Or if you just wanted to listen to stories and not worry about getting a word in edgewise - rick wakeman Smiley

If it were a fantasy lift then maybe taylor momson from the pretty reckless, you just know she would whistle

Can i draw your attention to 2:07 nuff said Wink

lzzy hale could be fun and if you're stuck in a lift with a bar pink would probably know the most drinking games. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 7:52am

thought of another one: Robert Johnson.
I mean come on, who doesn't want to know what really happened at the crossroads Smiley

And if you're too young tyo know what I;m talking about, then you're old enough to look it up Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 10:15am

Everybody in the South KNOWS what happened...

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 1:37pm

Stuck on an elevator with a dead rock star? Sounds a bit rank.  Reanimated sounds even worse. Grin

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 7:56am

we'll assume they've been deodorised Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 5:31pm

Dave Grohl is my living rock star and I'd bring Natasha Schneider back from the dead.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 12:31am

c_a's hatred of Led Zeppelin, one of the most beloved rock bands ever, and the performers of the best rock concert I've ever seen,  has always fascinated me, particularly since he's a Brit. Is it just their sound that you don't like or is your dislike based on something more profound? Hey, everyone has different taste in music. I don't care for Bruce Springsteen or Elvis which often gets me in trouble.

IP Logged

Disciple
Tiro

1 Samuel 17

California
Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 11:27pm

Haha although it would be interesting talking to Robert Johnson about the crossroads, I'd have to say I'd want to Bring back Bob Marley. I know he's a reggae star, but he seems like he would be a really cool guy to hang with. As for a living rock star, I'd choose John Popper. He is amazing at the harmonica and could teach me a thing or two about playing, he's also as cool as the other side of the pillow   Cool

Timothy Paxson
God Bless!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 7:07am

unless you're REALLY into ganja, being trapped in a lift with bob marley, could be unpleasant.
Would kill an asthma sufferer Smiley

The led zeppelin thing. It started with robert plant's voice - though weirdly some of the stuff he did with alison krauss is bearable.

But the more led zeppelin they play on planet rock, the more I realise I can't stand ANY aspect of their music. From the lyrics, through the off kilter tunes, through the horrible guitar playing and topped off with the really unpleasant whine of robert plant's voice.
If I turn the radio on and LZ are playing I can spot any of their songs in a few seconds. There's just an overwhelming unpleasantness about it.
Can't really say more than that.

I like stairway to heaven and black dog - and that's it. Everything else has me immediately reaching for the channel change button.
There's just something fundamentally WRONG with their music.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2016 at 3:20pm

Living rock star:
Mr. Lordi (Tomi Putaansuu)

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 6:50pm

Hansi from Blind Guardian would be my choice for live rock star. Who else could take a 17th century propaganda tract and make it a great song in the 21st century? Or write a 15 min song that tells the story of the Trojan war, from the Point of view of the city of Troy?

For a dead rock star, I think I have to go with RatMan, I'd love to talk with Johnny Cash.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 4:32pm

Quote:
Or write a 15 min song that tells the story of the Trojan war, from the Point of view of the city of Troy?

manowar Smiley
From both angles as I remember - haven't played that track for a while.
Quote:
"Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts" is the longest (28 minutes and 38 seconds) and most complex Manowar song, and probably an anticipation of a concept album that was never accomplished. Because of its Homeric content, "Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts" has recently attracted the attention of a group of scholars at Bologna University in Italy. Mrs. Eleonora Cavallini, Professor in Classics, has written about this song:

"Joey DeMaio’s lyrics imply a careful and scrupulous reading of the Iliad. The songwriter has focused his attention essentially on the crucial fight between Hector and Achilles, has paraphrased some passages of the poem adapting them to the melodic structure with a certain fluency and partly reinterpreting them, but never altering or upsetting Homer’s storyline. The purpose of the lyrics (and of the music as well) is to evoke some characteristic Homeric sceneries: the raging storm of the battle, the barbaric, ferocious exultance of the winner, the grief and anguish of the warrior who feels death impending over him. The whole action hinges upon Hector and Achilles, who are represented as specular characters, divided by an irreducible hatred and yet destined to share a similar destiny. Both are caught in the moment of the greatest exaltation, as they savagely rejoice for the blood of their killed enemies, but also in the one of the extreme pain, when the daemon of war finally pounces on them. Furthermore, differently than in the irreverent and iconoclastic movie Troy, in "Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy in Eight Parts", the divine is a constant and ineluctable presence, determining human destinies with inscrutable and steely will, and, despite the generic reference to 'the gods', the real master of human lives is Zeus, the only God to whom both Hector and Achilles address their prayers"[2]

and as far as 16/17th century stuff goes (i'd have to look coleridge up) : you listened to iron maidens :Rime of the ancient mariner.
At one point in my life I intended to memorise the entire rime of the ancient mariner.
I got to about verse three and gave up lol
I'm golden right up to the point the wedding guest starts to listen and then: nothing ever stuck beyond random quotes and verses used by as quotes in films and books.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 6:00pm

heh. I have never made it through that track but I believe you. I love me some manowar but I've tended more towards Blind Guardian as I've gotten older.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)