Archery:draw length (Read 2151 times)
johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Archery:draw length
Aug 15th, 2016 at 3:54pm

is there a best way to draw a bow or a slingshot?
i ve seen on different sites these 3 ways to draw a bow(picture below)

#1 shoulders and front elbow are on the same line,
"back tension" (68cm)

#2 a typical way i see most people draw a bow (76cm)

#3 using this method: http://www.atarn.org/korean/IA_kr_1.htm
"The hand with which you hold the bow should be like pushing a high mountain; the string hand should be like pulling a tiger’s tail."
at which there is a different anchor point, the draw hand is somewhere in front of my shoulder and at shoulder level (80cm)

which should i prefer and why?

draw.jpg (41 KB | 106 )
draw.jpg

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Re: Archery:draw length
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 6:34pm

While I'm not 100% sure how to interpret the diagram you drew, I can say your shoulders, should form a straight line, and your hand drawing back the string and your elbow should be at the same level as the drawing shoulder. A lot of archers I know use the corner of their mouth as the anchor point, so if your head is pointing towards the target, likely your hand is going to be slightly in front of your rear shoulder. The front elbow can be dropped slightly, because you probably don't want to fully lock your wrist during the draw, but I wouldn't drop your elbow too much, if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 3:22am

MammotHunter wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 6:34pm:
While I'm not 100% sure how to interpret the diagram you drew

it's like looking from above
the black line is the arrow,
and red lines are arms and torso
small circles are the elbows and shoulders
big circle is the head.

MammotHunter wrote on Aug 17th, 2016 at 6:34pm:
your elbow should be at the same level as the drawing shoulder.

if i understand well what you say is just like #3 , the thing i dont like is that the anchor point is very low and not easily repeatable (in front of rear shoulder ) in comparison to having an anchor point somewhere on the head(mouth,chin,ear)

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2016 at 8:42pm

Well,here goes.

#1 looks like European/N American with an anchor point somewhere on the face.

#2 looks Central Asian or English long bow style, with the anchor point the corner of the jaw to the base of the ear.

#3 looks Mongolian or Japanese with a "floating" anchor past the ear.  The last one is usually used with a thumb draw and your release point is when your elbow is fully compressed.

All three worked.  I don't think I am understanding the question.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 3:28am

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 8:42pm:
All three worked.  I don't think I am understanding the question.

the question really is if there is one of them which is biomechanicaly better or better for accuracy

since all work ok , i am gonna prefer the #3 because of the longer draw length, but :

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 18th, 2016 at 8:42pm:
#3 looks Mongolian or Japanese with a "floating" anchor past the ear.

how how do i use  a "floating" anchor with the same cosistency as an anchor point on the face?
if its floating then wouldn't it be incosistent?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 11:31am

The first two require you to touch the same part of your body to insure that you are drawing to the exact same length from shot to shot.  The first two are seen in Olympic shooting with all the gizmos on the bow.  They can also be used "traditional" without sights and can be very accurate with practice.

The third requires you to stretch out your bow arm and fully bend your drawing arm, You won't be able to stretch out your arm any more or bend your drawing arm inward or compress your shoulders any more, so while it looks like it is "floating", it really isn't.  This is the form used from horseback by both the Japanese and Mongols. 

Look at some of the YouTube videos of Japanese archers to get an idea of how it should be done.  It also requires a bow that will withstand a very long draw.  And it's also the most difficult to master if you don't have a teacher who knows how to do it.

And lastly, note that the Japanese take their clothes off their upper body so the string doesn't get caught.  This is a form of meditation.  You can shoot with clothes on your upper body, you will rake the string across your chest, you will catch loose clothing with the string until you learn to hold the bow and your body correctly.  I suggest putting some tape over your left nipple, it really smarts when the string rakes it, even through clothes. 

And all three forms require pretty constant practice. 

And I didn't mention it but your strength should come from your back muscles and core, not your arms. The third form in particular, if you don't feel stress on your short ribs, you are drawing with your arms only.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 2:02pm

hmmm...    thanks for the info Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:23pm

One last thing.  Even though I am right handed and right eye dominate, when I shoot with a thumb release, I shoot left handed.  My right hand holds the bow and I draw with my left.  This is because when you hold the bow right handed,  the bow will block the right eye.  So, you hold the bow in the opposite hand that you are eye dominate.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 4:46am

Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 11:23pm:
  Even though I am right handed and right eye dominate, when I shoot with a thumb release, I shoot left handed.  My right hand holds the bow and I draw with my left.  This is because when you hold the bow right handed,  the bow will block the right eye.  So, you hold the bow in the opposite hand that you are eye dominate.

i dont know why but this way seems natural when holding a slingshot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)