Send Topic Print
ADZE HEADS!! (Read 1282 times)
chatty
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Florida/guam
ADZE HEADS!!
Aug 10th, 2016 at 10:39pm

Does anyone on this forum make stone tools such as an adze head. I'm trying to make a replica and don't have the skills or resources to make the actual blade from stone. And would love to get some tips or possibly trade for one. I tried using the search but any keywords I type in come up with nothing.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: ADZE HEADS!!
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 10:37am

I've been know to make them.  I don't sell them though.  Easiest way to make one is to go to a knap in and buy a fairly thick slab of non heat treated stone.  Then get some quartz sand like the stuff they sell to mix in concrete.  Beach sand won't work.  Find a slab of concrete that doesn't have all the small rocks in it, the larger the better.

Put down a layer of sand, some water to keep the dust down and to keep your sand in place and start grinding.  The longer the power stroke, the faster (HAHAHAHAHAHA, gasp, HAHAHAHAHA) you'll finish.  If you find a slab where you can get a meter+ power stroke, 4-6 hours per day for a couple, three, four days should do it.

Larry Kinsella used to have a web site where he shows how to do pecking and grinding.  I haven't looked at it in years, I don't know if it is still up.  Paleoplanet also has several how to videos or pictorials on how to make both axes and adzes.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 12:34pm

or you could use an angle grinder and just tell everybody you did it by hand whistle

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 10:57am

Angle grinder gets too hot and the rock cracks.  Ask me how I know that one....

You can use a belt grinder if you keep wetting the stone to keep it cool.

If you do use power tools, watch out for the dust.  It can cause silconitis or "Black Lung" and will kill you.  It's why hard rock miners wear special respirators.  And a normal dust mask won't do, the silicon fragments goes right through.  Think fine broken glass.  In your lungs....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)