Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alone again (Read 4880 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Alone again
Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 4:35pm

Pay the fee but set it up so that if she quits, the reimbursed monies are sent to you and she can't get them.

If she has returned to being an addict, she will milk everyone who cares for her for as much as she can.

You can care for her and provide what moral support you can but ultimately, she has to fix herself. 

A cheering section can help, she knows that some one cares about her and that may be the spark she needs.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:25pm

It seems that you have experience with such matters, Bill.  You are exactly right. Much to my surprise she moved back in yesterday.  She went back to dancing so at least she has her own money now.  I went to see her last week.  She is actually very talented... the best dancer there.  She still has her issues.  She talks about going on methadone.  I will gently prod her in that direction by all means at my disposal.  If I had it to do over again I would avoid her like the plague.  Lovers of addicts end up as collateral damage.  Obviously I'm in this way too deeply to do anything but ride it out at this point. Hopefully she'll really join the methadone clinic soon. Like Bill said, she has to fix herself.  Pray for us.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 4:25pm

The Marine Corps spent a rather lot of money to send me to Drug and Alcohol counseling schools.  I was told I was pretty good at it but I hated the job with a passion. 

AA has the best average for long term.  It's a 10% success rate.  Everybody else is way lower.  That means, from my point of view, I was going to fail at helping at least 90% of the people that came to me.

And the people that are sent, that have no desire to be there, are almost 100% failure.

And in the case of substance abuse, that usually means dead.  Sooner or later, usually sooner.  And a lot of them manage to destroy everyone that cares for them in the process.

I hated my job.  It was easier to face machine gun fire and mortars.

Keep prodding, some do make it.  And a cheering section is usually the deciding factor.  They have to know that somewhere, someone cares for them, in spite of themselves and all the stuff they do.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 3:43pm

I've decided to give Chrissie the boot forever for too many reasons to mention here. Time to find me a nice, calm senior like myself.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #19 - Apr 11th, 2017 at 10:21pm

I'm sorry, RM. I know what it's like to love a person broken and addicted.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #20 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:47am

We have a major opiate problem in Western New York. People die every day. I really think that one of the problems is people don't want to deal with it. They don't see the addicts as people, but as sub human.
A new clinic to treat addicts is opening in a wealthy suburb near me, and people are up in arms over it. They don't want criminals, prostitutes, and inner city people ruining their way of life. They don't see that the problem is in their area as well. "It doesn't happen in our town, so why should we deal with the human garbage." was one of the comments.
Addiction comes in all forms, alcohol, cigarettes,ignorance. 

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #21 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:22am

Thanks, Mas. I did all I could and that's the truth. I can't help her and I'm not going down with her. I had hoped for a different outcome. Slingbadger, I don't think a lot of people  realize how prevalent it is. If they had any idea of how many people they know personally are directly effected by this they'd be more sympathetic. Your neighbors, cousins, daughters, coworkers, young and old, rich ir poor, all races...  WE are all effected by this. There is no them.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #22 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:40am

I loss my younger brother to an OD almost 2 years ago. He left behind 4 children.  He was 8 kont g s clean. In rehab, then one day walked out.3 months later he was gone. He wasn't ready to get the help he needed, he was in because of court order. If you want to.ever hang out, I usually go to red bank battlefield to sling in tge river

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:08pm

I'm sorry.  You tried.  Ultimately, she has to want to get better.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #24 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:16pm

Thankfully, my love is seeking help and trying very hard to avoid bad influences. It's hard, though, when your life and location are filled with the people that enable you and the triggers that pushed you into addiction in the first place. For now, I'm just trying to be an encouraging presence. There's a lot of fear involved with loving someone that has been through addiction, something that is hard to understand on the outside. The fear that I won't be strong enough to walk away, to love tough, if she relapses. The fear that trying to support them will lead you to become another enabler, or worse. Someone that they use. The fear that they've come into or are staying in your life because of their the trauma and addiction, that you're not actually helping but in fact hurting their recovery. I have to believe that we're all worthy of being loved in our brokenness, and I do believe we're all broken in a way. So far, I haven't had to deal much with what I'd do if she falters. It's also complicated by the fact that it's almost never just drug addiction. I'm trying to navigate how to love a woman with a sex and love addiction. How can you not be an enabler of that? It's so hard, loving someone, wanting them to change for the better, and yet also not wanting to change them or make them into a different person, regardless. Good Lord do I understand where you've been, RM. You and Chrissy have my thoughts and prayers. There's nothing easy about any of this.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2017 at 12:04am by Masiakasaurus »  

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #25 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 5:00pm

I agree with Mas. We are all broken one way or another. Powerful stuff Mas. Ive been both the addict and the one trying to help another. Thankfully never got into the hard stuff. Just another soul looking for a quick way out but it sure made a mess of things for awhile. You've already done more than most. You cared enough to try. I believe some day she will see that and once she is through the worst, it will help her see there is still plenty of good in the world that exists outside of addiction.
I still look back on those people that helped me through my pain with a love for them that they probably will never know or understand.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #26 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 4:11am

Well, RM, looks like you and I are both alone in this, together.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:15pm

I'm sorry , Mas.

Mas and RatMan, all you can do is keep on keeping on.  Right now, just keep working on one day at a time. 

I know it hurts but eventually you cope and start living again.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #28 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 11:58pm

I don't know about RM, but I don't feel like I've stopped living. Don't get me wrong, I love this woman as much now as I did before she hurt me. I love her as much as or more than I've ever loved my immediate family. She is in my tribe and I would drop anything to rescue her. But my wellbeing is not and never will depend on someone else. I'm leaning on friends and family for help and I'm definitely not able to "move on" this quickly, but my past has taught me how to steer into the skid.

My mantra is: Regret nothing, feel everything, and let it all wash over you without trying to fight or cling to anything. So far it seems to be helping. Smiley

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #29 - May 5th, 2017 at 11:45am

Well said, Mas.  After almost two years of fits and starts I am almost accustomed to being collateral damage.  In a few weeks Chrissie's dad, with my blessings, is going to take her away from New Jersey, where all of her contacts and druggie friends are.  He's taking her down to Florida for long term rehab.  I hate to say this but I have been conditioned to expect failure at this point. I hope for the best and would never say anything to dash their hopes but if she can't do rehab in New Jersey I don't see how moving to Florida is going to make a big difference.  One can't run from who or what one is. I've seen people try to do it before. There is lots of dope in Florida too.  If she wants it, and she will, she will easily find it.  But as I said, their hopes are high so I'm going with it.  At this point I am out of tricks. I even gave up my legal pain pills a month ago (Oxycontin)  after 23 years to show her that cold turkey withdraw can be done. No effect.  Like it or not, despite my best intentions,  I've become her enabler.   I can't help her.  It seems funny now... my thoughts going into this.  I was so sure and pompous. I have known Chrissie since she was little. I was certain I could get her clean.  Not so... there are things stronger and tougher than me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)