All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: How long will the internet last?
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2016 at 6:59pm

It's new, but it's fast becoming the primary way the people consume content with: Internet news, video streaming, social media, music libraries in the cloud, etc. I think it's likely to stay as long as there's electricity available. As for censorship, it's inevitable.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 10:02am

given the number of ways it's connected nowadays - as masi says as long as it can be powered it'll be around.

It's also constantly evolving.

Won't be too long before large chunks of it are just a distributed network using small chunks of temporary storage on mobile devices.

I didn't grow up with it. hell I didn't even grow up with telly or phones, mobile or otherwise.

Got our first telly when I was about 8 and first telephone when I was 11.
They were around, we just didn't have them Smiley

This could be why I really dislike telephones and can happily go days without turning the telly on Smiley
And most likely why I just don't see the point of social media.

Unless forums count as social media - hmm, dunno about that one.

I love forums Smiley   

And yes i remember bulletin boards.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2016 at 9:54pm

Considering it is rapidly growing and expanding, it may not be exactly what we consider "the internet" in 20 years, but it will still be around in the same way the early BBS systems evolved into the forums we have now.
It may be slightly less open though.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2016 at 6:29am

WE ARE THE BORG.

borg_cube.png (1120 KB | 68 )
borg_cube.png

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:14am

The internet will probably be around for a long time to come but its importance will diminish greatly, probably in a decade or two, when it is displaced by some superior and inevitable technological advancement that we can't begin to imagine at this time.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 12:03pm

you mean distributed telepathic inter neural networking ?

Hell 20 years ago nobody could have predicted the way mobile phones have become as essential to most people as their own internal organs.

Or that anyone buying a single share in microsoft's initial launch would now be a multi millionaire.

Or that you could have your own personal desktop manufacturing plant for bugger all money. One of mine's currently making a little add in for my mates car so he doesn't break his mp3 memory stick.

The things that have changed - so far - in my lifetime suggest that the next 20 years or so will be well worth living through Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 5:32am

Indeed. I can remember a time when it seemed that vinyl records would be the only thing forever and EVERYONE had a massive collection of them. Or there were just three commercial channels on TV and VCRs were unimaginable. All TVs were black and white and used tubes so they had to warm up before they came on. Everyone had just one phone, it was black, had a rotary dialer, and it sat in one spot forever. No one even had answering machines. If you wanted to record any type of sound at all it was via a big reel to reel tape recorder. Home video cameras were huge,  clunky things that also uses reels of film. You needed a separate projector to view the films. You had to show them on a big portable screen that everyone had. Unless you spent a fortune for very expensive Polaroid film you had to send all of your camera pictures away to be developed. There were NO computers, home or otherwise, and no such things as video games. There was no satellite communication because there were NO satellites.  I could go on. The rate of technological advancement keeps snowballing. I keep waiting for it to level off but that hasn't happened. I agree with c_a. Amazing things are just on the horizon.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2016 at 10:20pm

BTW, there was on audio with the home movies that you took and you had to send the reels of film away to be developed. A cell phone like the Galaxy S-7 I carry around would have seemed literally like magic back then.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)