Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
recent site blockage. (Read 14642 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: recent site blockage.
Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 8:51am

probably.
What's the difference ?
I don't usually mess with server side software.

Usually when i do websites I use proper website software and upload via ftp.
That way I've got complete control can change thing quickly and simply and don't have to piss about with online software - which I dislike intensely. 

It's quick, simple and has the advantage that a poxy virus on old online software can't shutdown your website.
Why chris or matthias chose to go with cms and have every bloody thing online, I don't know. Unfortunately i didn't have any say back then Sad

I do have a complete backup of website & forum from when I had to update the forum software.
Contemplating shoving the cms part of that back on the server to get m,e back control and the website and then do the updates before the server people notice lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - Sep 25th, 2016 at 4:34pm

Main difference: if you have a shell and you have root privileges you can do pretty much whatever you fancy!
Just an admin webpanel is (usually) much more restrictive. I won't get into php shells...

If you have command line access and appropriate privileges then if every step of updating is known to you AND you know how to check that nothing is broken you could use the following setup:

-write a script that checks for updates, put it into the user running the website's cron.

-either install updates directly then have the script email you the result of the tests (quite simple, those would just be akin to "try and retrieve this webpage, click on that link, login as this name)

-or keep a vm running on the server where the site is hosted, said vm would be a mirror of the site but only reachable from the server itself (ssh tunelling of http would allow you to consult it from your browser) this vm would get all the updates before the main site would that way if any update breaks something then you'll be aware of it. Once it's installed on the vm I reckon it'd be trivial to update the main website (either downloading the updates from the vm or directly from the update servers).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #17 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 6:20am

you lost me at 'write a script that checks for updates.'

I have root access to the server space, but no longer have any access to the cms control panel.
One of the reasons I've been putting it off. If I update with a newer clean version of cms, do i lose my existing username and pasword access ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 10:44am

This is disturbing,  is it a result of the break in? Updating should not change the database content so neither your credentials nor anyone else's should change.  To be sure you should keep a full backup (website and database) handy.   first you have to determine what database the forum is using (you should find this information in either yabb documentation or in your cms configuration files) if you want to make a backup.

If you ever decide to completely rewrite the site you'd still be able to use the same database mind you.

What I'm trying to say here is that the update should boil down to changing existing files and/or creating new ones. Those things are easy to automate  since they are easy to do from the command line.  What you can do is:

-jot down every step of updating (such as navigate to t this.url download from this link, unzip in this location)

-write all the commands in a file.  Make it executable

-crontab -e  and add the newly created program  so it runs at regular intervals.

If like me you have issues with bash syntax then I'd advise using perl (or python  or ruby).

English is not my first language so if I fail at getting my point across please tell me so I can reword/clarify and learn more in the process.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 5:07pm

lmao - your english is absolutely perfect.

It's my knowlege of in depth server management that's practically non-existent.

As far as coding goes, I use openscad for all my 3d printing design - but I definitely don't write my scripts anything lik e a programmer.  I always find the scripts written by programmers to be totally impossible to make any sense of.

I'm seriously considering hassling chris to do it - he does understand programming and all the onsite stuff.
Plus it's his fault in the first place for using cms instead of something sensible.
So he's a professor at carnegie mellon these days - don't mean i can't nag him till he gives in Smiley 

Me I just build and fix computers - I don't write the software Smiley 

IP Logged

ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 1:22pm

Well, that's an impressive skill. During my internship I had to do some ram swapping on a server (to find a couple that would actually work) I was so worried I'd break something I could not help but feel relieved once I closed the case. And don't get me started on setting up a CPU on a motherboard. Things might have changed but I still have that (semi)irrational fear of breaking the legs of such a costly item. Or simply fry it while pulling it out of the anti static bag...

On the topic of writing scripts if you can use the command line you can write scripts Wink thing is bash scripts can be really hard to understand. That's why I started using perl and never looked back. If you can't be bothered with the learning curve you can have a look at python (there are more projects on raspberry pi using python than you can shake a stick at, and those can be a real fun way to learn. Desktop trebuchet anyone?).

Since you already have some experience at website administration you already qualify as a power user and should be able to avoid the most obvious snags while getting started with a scripting language. There also are some great communities out there with many helpful members. These days you can't throw a rock without hitting a couple of pythonista so if you're having a hard time you'll always have someone to ask for help.

Sorry if that sound like proselytism... Ok I might be trying to convert you, is it that obvious? Cheesy

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #21 - Sep 29th, 2016 at 4:34pm

ForgottenBeast wrote on Sep 29th, 2016 at 1:22pm:
Sorry if that sound like proselytism... Ok I might be trying to convert you, is it that obvious?

He'ssss almossssst convinssssssd!

(Sorry, a rock hit my tail and I couldn't resist anymore.  Wink )

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 7:47am

lol
lost count of the number of cpu pins I've had to straighten over the years. Mostly they get bent when you take them out in a hurry.

I do have a raspberry pi model b. Alas it won't display a picture on any of my workshop monitors - even got an hdmi to vga adaptor - that doesn't work either.

So that's still in the box lol

Given how many projects you can make with one and a 3d printer I really ought to try again.
Got a newer monitor in the corner that might work.
thing is my workshop monitors are always things that people were about to throw away Smiley

I will make an effort to get the website back up.

IP Logged

ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #23 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 5:53pm

I had an issue with the hdmi vga thingie too. Basically it boiled down to making a lot of adaptations to the files that defined the behavior of the screen output. Trial and error for a day or two but then I got it to work. Before frying it a week or so later by overclocking without giving a proverbial flying one about cooling.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 7:18am

I'm actually going to get a bbc mini computer thing. Was hoping david morningstar - who was/is on the development team might be able to 'borrow' one for me. But alas no.

It's seriously tiny, will run on a 3 volt coincell and has a built in accelerometer. I want to make a sling pouch it fits in so I can actually measure the pouch speed on release.

It will talk wirelessly to an android tablet (I think).

It's on The List, lol

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 10:49am

Hey, the site let me log in again and stay logged in today.

Normally, it lets me in as a guest, I click home and the site then recognizes me.  And it says I am logged in.  And won't let me log in.  As soon as I leave, when I return, I have to go through the same rigimarole. 

Today, when I tried to log in, the site let me.  Happy Happy, Joy Joy. 

Any idea what happened?

BTW, do you think the mini computer thingy will survive more than one throw?  And it will answer, once and for all, just how fast a projectile is coming out of a sling. 

whistleUnless you get a bad throw...

IP Logged

ForgottenBeast
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 11:13am

I think it would stay in the pouch but correct me if I'm wrong.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #27 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 3:31pm

yep the idea is to measure the speed of the pouch not the missile. So it would be held in a little pouch below the actual sling pouch.
The size of the device is described as half the size of a credit card, Measuring 43 x 52 mm

it also has a built in led array which could be programmed to display the speed in numbers - probably Smiley
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBC-MB80-micro-bit/dp/B01G8WUGWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

Bill Skinner wrote on Oct 10th, 2016 at 10:49am:
Hey, the site let me log in again and stay logged in today.

Normally, it lets me in as a guest, I click home and the site then recognizes me.  And it says I am logged in.  And won't let me log in.  As soon as I leave, when I return, I have to go through the same rigimarole. 

Today, when I tried to log in, the site let me.  Happy Happy, Joy Joy. 

Any idea what happened?

BTW, do you think the mini computer thingy will survive more than one throw?  And it will answer, once and for all, just how fast a projectile is coming out of a sling. 

whistleUnless you get a bad throw...   

did your browser update, or maybe java update ?

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #28 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 9:30pm

im not able to view the member map or the hall of fame section

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #29 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 6:49am

yep, all part of the main website.

I am working on it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)