All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Question to older members
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 6:32pm

If you were born in 1991 or later, the Doomsday Clock has been inching closer to midnight for your entire life. I'm personally less afraid now than I was 15 years ago, but I can't think of a time that I've been alive when global politics was less stable.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 6:34am

When I was in the Navy, I was stationed less than 50 miles from Lockerbie when the plane explosion happened in 88. Things were pretty tense there for a while. Rumors flew everywhere. Everybody had their own theories. There was a lot of confusion.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 10:11am

I've only been around for less than 30 years but in my lifetime this is as bad as I can remember.

However. It is worth remembering that things were really bad further back. The 60's tend to be conceived of with big rose colored glasses (fighting oppression and racism and conquering with love, YEAH!). Yeah. Not that simple. There were nationwide riots. Think about that. Major cities all across the US with out of control riots. Police hunkering down when not outright retreating.

And the fifties we had real issues with rule of law. Think stripping citizens of rights based on suspicion was just post 9-11? Or restriction of free speech based on national security? Read history a little deeper it just might surprise you.

That said, my European friends, I'm really glad I don't share your continent right now.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2016 at 11:04am

All the mass media have a simple formula.  "If it bleeds, it leads."  Accent the negative, down play the positives.  That way, people keep coming back to the news to keep up with the latest disaster.  And they use all that return views to charge high rates for advertising.

And this is aided and abetted by politicians all over the planet, people tend to not change politicians in stressful situations.  Ever wonder how the same do nothing politicians keep getting reelected?

Why do you think Time Warner is one of the largest and richest corps on the planet?

Quite simply, all media outlets manipulate you.

That's not saying things are not tense in a lot of places but it does mean that you have to take every media report with a large dose of salt.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 6:58pm

Being uneasy in an uneasy world makes sense.
Denying the obvious does not.
Question every thing, study history, make your own path and follow no one that does not exhibit warmth and light.
There is much to be uneasy about and no promise of safety in these days of flux.
However there is also much beauty and joy and love as well, treasure these thing and do what good you can.
Question ,study, understand, practice and courage; never stop.

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 10:41am

lol - nah this is pretty much par for the course: SNAFU (Situation Normal All F****d Up)

put it this way, when i was growing up and living in germany, we had the baader meinhof blowing things up and shooting people and armed police all over the place.

While in the uk we had the ira blowing things up and killing people all over the shop.
Not to mention the cold war, the cod war, the falklands war and the balkans wars.

The difference at the moment is that the current mess seems to be based on religious grounds rather than political or national.

Personally, i feel a lot safer than I did growing up.

At least these muslims tend towards suicide and stupidity. One ira bomber could set multiple bombs and frequently did.

Today those same murdering scum are now sein fein politicians.
One of the many sins committed by tony blair was pardoning the ira killers.   

So no, current situation seems normal to me.

As far as shootings in the states goes - well you have that many firearms in a population then people will get shot.

One statistic I'd like to see is how many Non-black people were shot by the us police last year. Seems to me that only the occasional black shooting makes the news. Given how trigger happy those cops are - there must be  a lot more non-black shootings we never hear anything about. 

From a purely subjective point of view I'd like to see the statistics of ALL cop shootings in the usa for the last 12 months.

I think all shootings are bad, it just seems to me that the reporting of them is seriously skewed.

Mankind is clinically insane. An evolutionary behaviour that allowed us to clear an area of potential predators so that were could raise herd beasts.
Not for man sharing a water hole with a sated lion. Kill it and it won't eat you when it's hungry. This behaviour is unique to man.   

When there are no natural predators left, we turned on ourselves and have kept that behaviour up ever since. 

Throw religion and politics into the mix and you've got a an ongoing situation that won't die until the human race does.

And no it doesn't depress me. There's nothing I can personally do about it, so no point worrying about a situation I can't change.

Pretty much my only concerns are Vladimir Putin and Donald trump.
Both men are  scary and completely unpredictable.

Putin worries me more than donald trump becoming president of the us. And that's pretty damn worrying in it's own right.

At least trump seems to be for total isolationalism where putin wants to recreate the glory days of the soviet empire. And given the military situation in europe - if he wanted to wage a land war - I don't think anyone could stop him.

But again - nothing I can personally do until russian troops land in england. So no point worrying about it until I have to form a local militia of sling grenadiers Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 7:15pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 10:41am:
One statistic I'd like to see is how many Non-black people were shot by the us police last year. Seems to me that only the occasional black shooting makes the news. Given how trigger happy those cops are - there must be  a lot more non-black shootings we never hear anything about. 

From a purely subjective point of view I'd like to see the statistics of ALL cop shootings in the usa for the last 12 months.

I think all shootings are bad, it just seems to me that the reporting of them is seriously skewed.

I can give you the numbers for all of 2015, but not specifically the last 12 months.

In 2015:

990 total

942 men
48 women

494 White
258 Black
172 Nonwhite Hispanic
38 Other
28 Race unknown

782 armed with a deadly weapon
54 using a vehicle as a weapon
34 holding a toy weapon
93 unarmed
27 unknown

250 exhibiting signs of mental illness
740 unknown or not showing symptoms of mental illness

18 below the age of 18
330 ages 18 through 29
353 ages 30 through 44
277 ages 45 and over
12 age unknown

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 10:54pm

I disagree that Putin is unpredictable. He's eminently predictable. Just pretend he's a 19th century European.

No seriously. Americans are quick to forget how bloody Europe was. The invention of the Maxim gun (so the story goes) was that Maxim wanted to make money and someone told him to "give the Europeans a more efficient way to slit each other's neck and you'll make a mint". So he did. And he did.

After WWI, and WWII, and the butcher's bill being beyond the pale (and your militaries being laughable compared to the USSR) the Europeans turned away from the hard thinking that had so long been their forte. Yay cooperation and all that. However, Putin uses that kind of hard thinking. He looked, saw that none of us would be willing to go to war over crimea, so he took it. We all clucked and tutted and said "We'll make more money when we grow up!" and tried not to think about the victory that Putin pulled off. But he's not irrational or unpredictable. We've just gotten soft. He would be quite at home with 19th century Europeans.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 6:02pm

Americans also forget that the crimea has been Russian territory for over six hundred years, the majority are russian, speak russian and voted to stay russian.
The Ukraine and Russia have a long history together, the Ukrainien capital Keiv was also at one time the Russian capital.
We outsiders should stay the hell out.

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

-
Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 10:23am

-
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2017 at 3:58pm by AncientCraftwork »  

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 1:05pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 10:41am:

I can give you the numbers for all of 2015, but not specifically the last 12 months.

In 2015:

990 total

942 men
48 women

494 White
258 Black
172 Nonwhite Hispanic
38 Other
28 Race unknown

782 armed with a deadly weapon
54 using a vehicle as a weapon
34 holding a toy weapon
93 unarmed
27 unknown

250 exhibiting signs of mental illness
740 unknown or not showing symptoms of mental illness

18 below the age of 18
330 ages 18 through 29
353 ages 30 through 44
277 ages 45 and over
12 age unknown

sigh, so I'm right.  the press just don't seem to bother with white or hispanic shootings anywhere near as much as black shootings.
Almost as if theyWANT to promote inter racial violence.

The 93 unarmed statistic is bad.

To be fair it's pretty bad any way you look at it.

As far as the ukraine goes - it's just the first step to recreating the old soviet union.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 6:37pm

I'm not going to touch your conclusion, but for comparison sake, the overall rate works out to be a little over 0.000306% of the US population dying in police custody or in confrontation with police in 2015. In the UK in 2014, it was about 0.000350% of the population. The difference is within the margin of error.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2016 at 9:22am

Past times have definitely been at least as tense as now and often more so. There are countless examples of this, both internationally and domestically. I've found that if you study history, any period of time has its own Damoclese. There really is nothing unique about now. Mankind seems to always be sitting on the brink.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)