Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood vs metal vs modern prods? (Read 2795 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Wood vs metal vs modern prods?
Jun 12th, 2016 at 9:33am

The recent thread on crossbows reminded me of my desire to make one of those. I had recently read "crossbows" by Frank Bilson, writing back in the 70s/80s trying to get crossbows as a sport in America. It includes instructions and templates to make low powered crossbows and only used wood. I'll happily make one of those to toy with but I'd like one with deer taking power. If you look at a sports store you can spend thousands of dollars on a modern crossbow.

I've looked and I can't find much info on what the ceiling of a wood prod would be. Any sources or info?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Wood vs metal vs modern prods?
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 12:21pm

Guess it would depend on the length of the actual bow part.

But given that 150lb pull on  a long bow usually needs 6 foot plus of seasoned yew.

I doubt you'd get a helluva lot from a three foot length of bow on a crossbow.

Given how easy leaf springs are to get, why risk it, just go with metal.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2016 at 9:40pm

You could get into some pretty serious draw weights if you used Osage and backed the bow.  Especially if you backed it with sinew.

Second, the string on medieval crossbows stretched.  That's why a lot of them were as thick as your thumb.  They took advantage of that.

But I think C_A is right, why use wood when you can get a steel prod so easily.

I would think pretty seriously about building one of the lower powered wooden crossbows first to see what sort of problems I could run into.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2016 at 6:06am

As they said above  if you want power go for metal crossbow. spent your sinew on backing bows.
recently i fixed my toy crossbow ,very low draw weight , it has spruce fir(!) wood with fiberglass backing.

you can also read this : http://www.atarn.org/chinese/yn_xbow/yn_xbow.htm

i think it says they used mulberry, but i don't think they are good enough for deer hunting...

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2016 at 10:11pm

Perpetualstudent, yeah there is next to no infromation on wooden prods, when i try to make a wood prod, i make it as if it were a small bow and then reduce the stress on it, example: if its supposed to be 36" long with a 4" brace height  and a 14''  draw, i make it 38" long with a 3'' brace and a 12" draw., the most powerfull wooden bow i have pulls 90 pounds with a 11 inch powerstroke, i made it from the best red oak board i could find and glued 3 layers of fiberglass on the back of it, feels barely powerfull enough to take deer tho,. You could also just buy the prods and be done with that part at least, you can buy some 150 pound fiberglass prods on Amazon for about 20 dollars, the one i have on my red crossbow cost me 12 dollars, or you could buy a steel one with for about 65 dollars plus shipping, you can buy one from Alcheminc.com or slowbows in whatever poundage you like, those steel prods are expensive but will last several generations, they're also quite heavy,. Alternatively you could make a steel prod out of a leaf spring, its much cheaper once you have the tools, all you need is an angle grinder(or a hacksaw if you're harcore) a steel vice and 1 or 2 steel files.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 9:35am

Onager Lovac wrote on Jun 13th, 2016 at 10:11pm:
hacksaw if you're harcore

lol! not recommended  Tongue
your time is more valuable than a grinder and a couple of discs

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 6:24pm

Parmenion, i was just pondering about how i would use a hacksaw to shape a leaf spring, i think i would draw my design and start to work on it on the weekend, i would probably start one saturday in the morning, find a nice spot in the shade under a tree in my backyard, grab a beer, maybe put on the lord of the rings or something to get motivated between rests and take my time, and by the second day i would probably switch to my angle grinder because  if i had to continue to use a hacksaw i would probably loose my mind,. Anyway here is a PDF of an article on crossbow making by "Popular Mechanics" (in it you can read about using a hacksaw to shape a leaf spring).

crossbow-leaf-spring.pdf (1218 KB | 102 )

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 3:34am

@ onager lovac     nice article.
when i first thought of making a metal prod crossbow i thought i would use a hacksaw .
at our university they made us cut a small piece of iron/steel to make a little hammer just to understand the difference between theory and design vs practice and production . after that i thought i would be able to cut a prod with a hacksaw, but didn't think of the difference in material... then i bought a grinder  Tongue

which is very useful to make the other parts also

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 3:43pm

I assumed the price for the prods would be much higher. What you say tempts me very much Onager lovac. Although I think my wife might kill me if I don't finish a project or two before I start one of that magnitude.

I had been leery of working with steel prods. Theoretically of course spring steel, so long as it is not taxed beyond it's rated ability, can handle an indefinite number of compression/release cycles. But theory and practice tend to diverge and the idea of a shattered steel prod makes me far more leery than shattered wood.

That said I just found this https://youtu.be/JPc1tAUo01E
and that makes me want to toy with this idea more.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2016 at 5:35pm

Hey Perpetualstudent, i just checked Alcheminc.com prices for steel prods, they cost 65$ with free shipping in the U.S. up to 225 pounds i think, or 60$ plus shipping if you're from outside the U.S.., just letting you know.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)