Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from California (Read 1896 times)
Cyrus
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Hello from California
Jun 9th, 2016 at 8:43pm

New slinger, here - just last week I made my first paracord sling (it was a bit long - now I have made two :p), and so far it's been a blast practicing basic technique. I'm based in the Bay Area, so if there are other enthusiasts nearby, I could be interested in meeting up to get some pointers and generally talk about slings, ammo, or whatever else. I've been reading through forum posts on my phone when between things and this community seems pretty great - so glad to learn that there's such a supportive community built around this interesting and ancient martial art. Looking forward to learning more from and with all of you.  Smiley

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Hello from California
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2016 at 9:08pm

Welcome from NJ

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2016 at 9:22pm

Welcome Cyrus! Would like to see your pcord slings Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Jareth_Atian

Slinging Rocks!

San Jose, CA
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 9:51pm

Greetings, and welcome to the forum!

I live in the bay area (Santa Clara) and would definitely be interested in meeting up some time. I do a lot of braiding/sling construction, but I haven't had much opportunity to meet with other slingers in person.

- Jareth
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BayAreaSlings

IP Logged

Cyrus
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2016 at 2:47pm

Hadn't checked the thread over the weekend - cool to see some replies. Smiley

Walter - I'll try to take some pictures tonight (at work just now). They are white 550 paracord, very "no frills." The pouches are quite small, I have come to realize. I was envisioning a sort of 1" lead bullet or fishing weight, and I believe that would be the ideal ammo for my current slings, but I have no crafted ammo kust yet, and larger stones often fall out during windup...

Jareth - meeting up sometime sounds great. I'm in the north bay (Pinole/Richmond area), so there's a bit of a distance to cover - a little over an hour drive according to Google. Maybe we could meet somewhere in between? I'm sure that having another slinger observe technique in real time would be a big help (at least for me  Tongue)... And of course it would just be fun to meet up with another slinger and sling some stones.  Grin

IP Logged

Cyrus
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 12:56am

Here you are, Walter; my current pair of Paracord slings. The shorter one gets more use, currently. It's just about the right size for me, I think - hangs just above the ground with my arm at rest. The cords are about he length of my extended arm (shoulder to wrist) - In fact, I fiddled with it before actually cutting so that when I was holding the knot and had the loop around my middle finger, this would be the case. The cords on it's bigger brother (you can see the family resemblance, eh?) are at least a meter (where is my measuring tape?  Huh ).

Slings_1_.jpg (1070 KB | 77 )
Slings_1_.jpg

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2016 at 5:37pm

Think you have the length just right for accuracy. Twenty seven to 28" works best for me Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Pither
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 12:28pm

Also new here.  I got my first introduction to a sling back when I was a kid, backpacking with my family in the Sieras.  We were camped at a lake and I heard this wizzing sound coming from one side of the lake followed by a plunk in the water near the opposite side.  I was wondering what was going on when a father and his son eventually wandered by with a sling.  I've been interested in them ever since.
  Stumbled onto this site last night.  Glad I did!

-Mark...

IP Logged

Cyrus
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 4:49pm

Oh, hi Mark. Where do you live and sling? Wondering if it's CA as well, maybe the three of us could do a get together at some point.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)