Send Topic Print
question on poisons (Read 3863 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
question on poisons
May 24th, 2016 at 6:35am

Does anyone have any information on poisons used with slings? Celsus in his book De Medicina stated that glandes were even more lethal when dipped in poison.
  What would have been available  and how would it have been done? This is just out of curiosity, I don't plan on trying it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: question on poisons
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:00am

never though of that - but yeah makes sense.

I guess belladonna was an easy to make and popular poison at the time.
Still is come to that.

There are plants that locals know in just about every country that could easily be used.
Also in coastal areas there is usually toxic sealife that can be used for poisons.

No idea how you'd find out specifics though.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:28pm

I seem to remember a theory about the holes in some lead bullets being made for poison pellets (rather unlikely).

Could I ask the reference for the Celsus, please ?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2016 at 12:34pm

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2016 at 6:13pm

There's a lively and excellent book on the topic by the Classical scholar, cryptozoologist and folkorist Adrienne Mayor, of Stanford:

http://web.stanford.edu/dept/HPS/GreekFire.pdf

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2016 at 4:37am

Conium maculatum
is common in Greece .don't know how it could be used exactly on a projectile(seed dust/a solution/... ) . but eating it kills.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2016 at 6:40am

Found an interesting list of poisonous plants that were used by the Greeks and Romans They were used on arrows, but I imagine could work if smeared on a glande.
Hellebore family.
Monkshood.
Nightshade.
Henbane.
Hemlock.
Rhododendron

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

kentuckythrower
Descens

Illegitimi non carborundum

Kentucky, U.S.A.
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 12:52am

I've never heard of this, but it'd be a great idea. There's a plant over here that's been used. I think in Europe its name is Hellebore An extract of this plant can be rendered and used to tip arrows or quarrels to take down deer. From what I've been told it's highly effective and extremely potent. All it takes is a prick of the skin...if the prey bleeds, it dies. It appears what happens is the poison attacks the respiratory system. The prey (deer) begins to wheeze, then falls flat...all it takes from there is a whack in the skull with a hatchet to finish it off. Such is life in Appalachia during the 21st century. Folks are literally turning to subsistence survival out here.

IP Logged

jeffbonds
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Alabama
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 8:43pm

yeah there was a group of people who had a special glue they used to help making arrows and the glue caused nasty infections it was hide glue mixed with copper oxide i think they hung sheets of copper over red wine barrels and scraped the green flim off mixing it with the glue to keep bugs from eating the glue and it also just happened to cause the infection often times being the thing that killed the ones who were shot

IP Logged

yonderstone

The valiant never taste
of death but once.

Oregon
Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 4:55pm

Cyanide was a roman favorite and may have been useful in artillery warfare.

One thing I'm not keen to try is hunting an animal with poison. For starters, in the amount of time it might take an animal to die or stop running, it would be relatively easy to lose track of where it bolted off to. The other thing is that I might be going to all of that trouble just to end up with poisoned meat.

My old man used to refer to someone being shot to death as death by lead "poisoning". Smiley

My friend who is a geologist once called an enormous boulder, that's above and a bit too close to a road we drive on, a poisonous rock. When I asked why the rock was poisonous, he said that just one drop would kill me.

IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2016 at 7:32am

As far as poisons go you could go with something transdermal so it would be dangerous topically  but that just makes it dangerous for the chucker to touch it to load it in the sling. That help any?

Loki  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)