Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best sling for heavy (Balearic sized) rocks (in your opinion) (Read 5109 times)
Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Best sling for heavy (Balearic sized) rocks (in your opinion)
May 22nd, 2016 at 10:04pm

Hey guys, I just been starting to want to get into firing some Heavy rocks Balearic style. So I was wondering what, in your guys opinion is the best sling for Balearic style with large rocks. I have a sling from Luis Livermore and I love it, but I don't want to use it too much (I wanna keep it in good condition) and I want a way to make my own using synthetic string and such. Thoughts? Opinions? Randoms? Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Re: Best sling for heavy (Balearic sized) rocks (in your opinion)
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:48am

A short sling, 24-26 inches with a thick release cord so you can really hold on with the large stones. Balearic split pouches accommodate the larger stones much better then a fixed solid pouch. Balearic slings, as you already know use natural grass fibers. However, the problem here is you want to make a synthetic split pouch. This is difficult to achieve because to create a proper split pouch you must add as many fibers as are in your retention cord before you start the split pouch, that way the two sides of your split pouch are even.

When adding synthetic fibers they don't lock into place like natural grass fibers so it will come apart. To conquer this obstacle you must use the 5 weave twist that Luis Livermore uses and seal the synthetic with Aleene's Flexible glue. I know this is achievable because this is how I incorporate my dacron fishing line whips into the end of my natural grass fiber balearic slings.

This is a great deal of work and requires lots of skill, so my recommendation would be to learn to make a natural grass fiber sling like the one Luis made for you.

Alternatively, you can forgo adding any fibers when making your synthetic. This would result in two skinny sides of your split pouch. If covered with leather I don't see why this wouldn't work. This would be a much easier option.

Good luck man

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2016 at 9:43am

I've been experimenting with this a bit lately too. I started off with the LaMancha sling tutorial and adapted it to work better with the slings I've been making most often - Rockman style made from jute.

My initial sling was 8 strings of jute braided into a 4 strand round Where it separated into the split pouch was a four, single strand flat braid each side and back into four strand round (if doing it this way I'd just use a four strand round, the flat braid didn't work so well), dropping two strands as it went to taper into the release cord.

In use I quickly found that a finger loop retention cord is no good for big rocks - about the size of a russet potato. I tied a longer cord on the retention end and wrapped it like a constrictor knot around my hand, the line coming out at the crook of the first knuckle.

My current sling is as described above but with a longer retention cord from the get-go, and the pouch is a straight up Rockman style. To make from paracord I'd use four strand round, and at the split pouch I'd use a simple over/under weave on two strands or maybe a simple alternating half hitch chain. Drop one strand (maybe) halfway up the release cord to get a bit of a taper.

So for me, and being far from an expert, the biggest difference aside from scaling up the entire sling was to make the retention cord end with a few turns around the hand rather than a loop. With a smaller sling to get a feel for this, just use a hawser type hitch on the finger loop and don't tie it too tight. The existing sling will be unmodified and you get a quick feel for this sort of retention scheme.

The interesting thing about these larger slings is that I can still use them pretty accurately with a tennis ball - I assumed the added mass of the release cord would make it tough for the tennis ball to break away but not really.

I need to do a lot more practice wit the heavier shot, but it seems to be not possible to get a high velocity cast like with a smaller shot. The stone just has too much mass and the set-up spin needs to be faster than the usual, so the rapid acceleration prior to release is not as pronounced. Then again, it is a whopping heavy shot carrying a lot of energy, so not sure how it translates to the energy load of smaller shot at higher velocity, especially without a chronograph or scale.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:09am

I agree that a split pouch holds the big rocks as long as you have a big pouch.

I have used braided nylon curtain cord.  It's 3mm or 1/8 inch, I have found it marked both ways.

Start with three pieces 12 feet or four meters long.  Also, have two pieces slightly longer than twice as long as you plan your pouch to be.  Start braiding a three braid in the middle, just a little off center, until you get a piece braided long enough to make a finger loop.  Then pair up your cords and start a flat three braid until you get about a palms' length from where the pouch is going to be.  Then add two strands to two of the three.    When you get to where the pouch is going to be, split the line with two.  Start two separate three strand braids, one will have two lines to thicken the pouch.  Braid to length, then combine again in a flat three three strand.  About the width of three fingers, cut off both extra pieces.  Then, as you braid the retention cord, cut off on of each pair at about one palms' length apart.  This will taper your release cord and make it open much better.

You can wrap the pocket with leather but I haven't found it necessary to prevent wear.  And the sling is pretty stiff as it is, so it shouldn't need the extra stiffness to open properly.

I have also found that if I make the retention cord longer, to go from my ring finger along the back of my hand and wrap around the edge of my palm, it doesn't rub my finger raw when throwing heavy rocks.

And I haven't had good luck with a wrist loop, it always pinches the nerve junctions at the base of my hand.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:13am

first of all i've never made or handled a balearic sling

HuntsmanSling wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:48am:
When adding synthetic fibers they don't lock into place like natural grass fibers so it will come apart. To conquer this obstacle you must use the 5 weave twist that Luis Livermore uses and seal the synthetic with Aleene's Flexible glue.

when material comes apart instead of glue i just sew things tight

i use/make simple split pouch slings w/ linen
sling has no problem with big rocks  .
but how much heavy is "heavy (Balearic sized) rocks"?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:54pm

solid leather pouch.
And keep the sling fairly short.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2016 at 1:41pm

I'd go for heavy dense cords. You could easily make an Apache Style sling using paracord and it would be quite hefty ID you use 6 strands. At that point you can decide whether to make it a split pouch or solid or kind of in between. I really do prefer a longer sling but that's just cause you get more leverage. Keep us informed

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2016 at 1:42pm

Fist sized rocks are about average in the balearics

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2016 at 1:46pm

Ok thanks guys, all the opinions and experience are really helpful. Smiley That brings on my next question: if i am able to use synthetic cordage for the sling what should i do with the release cord ending? i have tried with no avail to get a synthetic release cord ending that doesnt burn and fall apart when using heavier ammo. i know that sisal is incredibly wear resistant and stiff so that solves the ending issue with natural cordage slings but with synthetic cordage i have no clue. thoughts?

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2016 at 2:12pm

Put a wrap on it and change it out as it disintegrates.

If you're talking about the very end at the release knot, I have yet to come up with a solution other than make a new one.

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2016 at 2:26pm

Here's the latest, I haven't tried out out yet. About 24" from release knot to center of the pouch. The mug is for scale.

Like the LaMancha, the retention cord is much longer than the release, an extra 24".

The paracord tassel is a four strand round braid compared to the eight strand made with 5 ply jute.

This thread has me interested in making one from paracord, would be nice way to pass a rainy day if out camping.

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/Millermeter_2010/media/Sling_Mug_zpslnoo5v3s.jp...

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:37pm

Blowgunman123 wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 1:46pm:
my next question: if i am able to use synthetic cordage for the sling what should i do with the release cord ending? i have tried with no avail to get a synthetic release cord ending that doesn't burn and fall apart when using heavier ammo. i know that sisal is incredibly wear resistant and stiff so that solves the ending issue with natural cordage slings but with synthetic cordage i have no clue. thoughts?

Sisal actually breaks apart as well. I used to weave in dacron into the last 3 inches of my natural sisal slings but even that will break apart after a year, so I've upgraded to using Kevlar threading into the last 3 inches of my sisal slings and I like the results.

The problem here is combining synthetic like you want (I'm guessing some sort of paracord) with the kevlar threading (synthetic to synthetic). I suppose this is possible but for it to work the paracord must be broken down into threading. Paracord is usually made of multiple interior cords surrounded by a synthetic jacket. The jacket must be skinned away leaving the smaller interior cords to twist into the very fine Kevlar threading. In this scenario you really do need to us Aleene's flexible glue to seal it all off or it will come apart.

Or you could weave it into your synthetic much further up the release cord and simply do a knoted release, leaving the kevlar threads dangling out for your whip. However by doing this, you sacrifice accuracy with a bulbous release knot rather then a clean flat release which Balearic slings are known for.

Lots of scenarios here and hypothetical opinions so I guess you just have to experiment.

I've never had much success combining synthetic to synthetic but I gave up early because I realized natural combined with synthetic was the way to go. I know much more now than I did when I gave up the synthetic to synthetic challenge, so at this point I believe it is still possible.

Below is an attached image of an all natural sisal sling dyed green with kevlar threading, added in the last 3 inches of the release cord.

After_001.JPG (978 KB | 131 )
After_001.JPG

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2016 at 9:03pm

My advice would be (based on experience shooting "heavies" or fist-sized smashers) to go for something pretty big-- 1+m long, and big pouch-- something like the Palestinian slings. The reason is that you need the extra power to get the stone flying fast enough to overcome drag. Once you hit that sweet spot, the stone retains energy. And you want the sling to do the work, not your elbow. So big sling AND really good form, too, i.e. no slack (because the big sling is a bit trickier to get right).

EDIT: I mean 1m or bit more folded.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2016 at 2:09am by Thearos »  

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #13 - May 25th, 2016 at 7:43am

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 23rd, 2016 at 12:54pm:
solid leather pouch.
And keep the sling fairly short.

Sacrilege!

Shocked

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy)