Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Escrima Sticks? (Read 2131 times)
Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Escrima Sticks?
May 10th, 2016 at 4:37pm

Hey guys, i'm just starting to get into Escrima sticks and i was wondering if anybody had any advice, thoughts, or suggestions on the subject. Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Escrima Sticks?
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2016 at 10:42am

I can only offer failures of experience  Grin

I tried using tightly rolled paper as a cheap stick and that broke really quickly. Then I tried PVC and that also broke. I think a lot of my problem was I doing strong strikes on a post (6x6) and the target was too strong.

For sparring purposes most schools will require you to buy through them. But if you are working with friends at home simple boffer weapons with generous padding will probably suffice.

For work on inanimate objects, try to soften the blows. Tires are popular targets in that you can't destroy it with a stick and it has some give so won't destroy your stick too fast. Experiment with padding your sticks and some sort of softer target unless you're just doing targeting drills.

Find out where your local SCA guys get their Rattan. See about getting some of that to practice with. It's fairly sturdy and, if wrapped with duct tape, won't produce dangerous splinters when you break it.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2016 at 11:35am

Thanks for the advice, after reading it i was thinking about using a punching bag and these escrima sticks: http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91E/ESCRIMA_STICK.aspx from what i've heard they are practically indestructible so hopefully that'll solve the breaking problem and the punching bag will also soften the blows. Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2016 at 5:26pm

Sounds good. I might still wrap the heavy bag in something to protect it.

It's a funny ol' world. To practice using a weapon, we have to protect the target from the weapon and the weapon from the target.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2016 at 10:53pm

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 2:43pm

I own what Thearos posted. They are on the long side for Escrima and you wouldn't need the hand guards, we use them for light sabre practice and for single stick. Purpleheart is a wonderful company, I can't say enough good stuff about them.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2016 at 9:35pm

Oak dowels from the hardware store make okay practice sticks.  I had a set from an unusually good quality dowel that lasted a pretty long time.  I haven't practiced any Arnis in years though, I have no good advice beyond that.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)