Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Crossbows (Read 12476 times)
Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Crossbows
May 3rd, 2016 at 5:47pm

Here are some x-bows and a handbow that i made some time ago, making and shooting crossbows is one of my greatest passion.

DSC_0250.JPG (597 KB | 297 )
DSC_0250.JPG
DSC_0276.JPG (1730 KB | 247 )
DSC_0276.JPG
DSC_0331.JPG (553 KB | 222 )
DSC_0331.JPG
DSC_0341.JPG (984 KB | 210 )
DSC_0341.JPG
DSC_0437.JPG (441 KB | 173 )
DSC_0437.JPG
DSC_0439.JPG (1060 KB | 263 )
DSC_0439.JPG
DSC_0505.JPG (782 KB | 279 )
DSC_0505.JPG
DSC_0533.JPG (781 KB | 254 )
DSC_0533.JPG
DSC_0524.JPG (1772 KB | 285 )
DSC_0524.JPG

IP Logged

manu3259
Tiro

memento finis

France
Re: Crossbows
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2016 at 2:47pm

Great pieces of work ! One day I will take time to try to make one.

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2016 at 10:17pm

Hey thanks Manu, you know, that is almost exactly what i said right before i started to build that last crossbow with the steel prod and bronze nut, "One day il go for it" i think, that weekend i stumbled upon a leaf spring that i bought for 2 dollars and the rest is history.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2016 at 11:55pm

Those are some nice crossbows.  And a pretty neat bow, too.  It the bow cable backed?  It looked like at least one of the prods on the crossbows was backed, too.

BTW, what is the draw weight on the one with the leaf spring?

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2016 at 5:18pm

Hey thanks Bill, indeed the Handbow is cable backed and the all wooden x-bow has a fiberglass backing, i was originally going for an all primitive wooden crossbow without artificial parts but fiberglass makes wood extremely resistant, and as it is the steel crossbow has a draw of about 150# pounds with a 7.5" inch draw.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2016 at 12:36pm

very nice work!
i ve gathered materials for a crossbow and now i need to work but i have other things to bother right now.

my prod is 5cm wide 7mm thick and 79cm long pre-bent can you guesstimate the draw length and the draw weigth? since i have almost zero experience with crossbows. I had made only one with pine and fiberglass backing but broke at a missfire.
the mechanism was wooden nut since it had low poundage. more a toy than a weapon....

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2016 at 7:33pm

Hey thanks Parmenion, seems like you have a perfect size prod for a crossbow, i don't know to much about centimeters but i would leave it as it is, 31" inches is perfect for a first time steel crossbow, 7mm i think is a bit more than 1/4 of an inch, thicker than my x-bow, i also don't know how pre-bent your prod is, but regardless of its size or draw weight, a medieval crossbow is pretty much always strung at 4 or 5 inches and they need to be strung that way because the crossbow is canted upwards a little bit, the power stroke of a medieval crossbows also varies from 5 to 7 inches. If you are using spring steel you should have no problem choosing your own brace height and power stroke(so long as it stays within this parameters), modern spring steel is way better than what they had back then. A more general rule for crossbows is that they can safely be braced at 1/10 their size and then be drawn 1/3 their size, so your bow would have a 3 inch brace with a 7 inch powerstroke, you have a lot of options to adjust your crossbow to your needs, also if it pulls more than 150 pounds you will need to reinforce your nut, just epoxy a tiny steel square to the bottom of the nut. if you have more questions ill be happy to help.

nut.jpg (44 KB | 188 )
nut.jpg

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2016 at 12:02pm

@Onager Lovac thancks for the tips
the bent of the prod gives 8cm(3.22") of brace height with a loose string, so i need to brace it more maybe 10cm(4")
7 inch powerstroke seems low to me,because i read somewhere 11-15" power stroke for steel crossbow. Huhthats what i was aiming for...

the prod is from a car, no idea what car.
i can move the tips of the crossbow less than 2cm (0,78") with my weight 150lbs ... Cool
the nut material i have is steel , what's the material of the nut in the picture you uploaded?

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2016 at 7:10pm

Parmenion, a powerstroke of 15'' with 4'' brace is 19'' draw waaay to hi for a 31'' prod, handbow aren't under as much stress, my recurve bow is 60'' braced at 7'' with a powerstroke of 21'', thats less stress than your crossbow, also remember that a crossbow needs to be more relaxed at all times than a regular bow since it can remain cocked several hours, unlike a bow that is drawn and shot in a couple of seconds,... that being said however and since your prod is already pre-bent and kinda large a 4'' brace with a something like a 11'' or 12'' powerstroke seems reasonable enough (i would't go higher than that tho) so yeah go for it man  Smiley, an yeah steel is the perfect nut material, i don't know what material the nut in the picture is made of, i just borrowed that picture from another guy in another forum to show how to make a simple nut, and from what you say about your prod i would gesstimate that i would pull a good 300# or 400# with that setup.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2016 at 5:21am

Thanks!
300#? i hope it won't bent the cocking mechanism !
i'll post when i make any progress. but this will take months  Sad 

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #10 - May 21st, 2016 at 9:04am

This reminds me of my first only attempt in making a crossbow... it looked like the one in your fourth picture:

here with a friend of mine.

It was nothing more than a rattan bow stuck on a second-choice wood handle, the trigger was a simple wood cylinder moved upward by an iron lever... simple and effective  Smiley

But despite the fact that Italian urban militia were renowed in the Middle Age for being skilled crossbowmen, my favorite ranged weapon is still the bow!

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #11 - May 26th, 2016 at 8:07pm

@ Onager Lovac & Mauro:
Looks good!

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 9:07pm

So, a while ago someone sent me a message asking for pics of my crossbow trigger, dude if your reading this, im sorry i took so fricking long to reply, i got a wicked stomach infection and stayed in bed for a whole week and after i got better i kinda forgot.., anyways, i tried to send you a PM but i couldn't figure out how to attach the pictures, so im doing this.
In the first picture you can see my trigger before i put it on my crossbow, and in the second a pic i found online of how it alings., in the third and forth ones you can see some examples of a "skane lock" trigger, sometimes called a "hole and peg" trigger and also 3 more pics of skane lock crossbows(including my red one with a pic of my steel prod)., i would highly recommend you start with one of this design since its one of the easiest type of crossbows to make, it can be made entirely out of wood and it doesn't look half bad (my first crossbow was a skane lock), and it works very well with prods(bows) under 150 pounds., and some bonus pics, the last 2 crossbows are some examples of the only "dark age" crossbow ever found (one is made by Todd Todeschini probably the most famous crossbow maker in the world) notice the very simple pivot trigger/lock,.
So yeah, sorry again dude, hope this helps.

5_001.jpg (107 KB | 207 )
5_001.jpg
nut_001.jpg (5 KB | 116 )
nut_001.jpg
Skane_lock.jpg (5 KB | 122 )
Skane_lock.jpg
skane_lock2.jpg (34 KB | 145 )
skane_lock2.jpg
crossbow.jpg (60 KB | 143 )
crossbow.jpg
skane4.jpg (42 KB | 136 )
skane4.jpg
1_012.jpg (96 KB | 147 )
1_012.jpg
Darkage.jpg (18 KB | 140 )
Darkage.jpg
Darkage2.jpg (8 KB | 135 )
Darkage2.jpg

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 6:07am

Onager Lovac wrote on Jun 6th, 2016 at 9:07pm:
In the first picture you can see my trigger

i have steel trigger material like yours but straight. how did you bend it? oxyacetylene?

since i dont have such tool i'm probably gonna cut it and then electroweld into the right shape

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 4:12pm

Hey Parmenion, i just heated it with one of those 20 dollar "Bernzomatic" blowtorches till it got a bit red and then hit it with a hammer over an anvil, very simple.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)