Going to Scotland (Read 1766 times)
Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Going to Scotland
May 2nd, 2016 at 10:36am

Scotland ! It's beaches of fine white sand, the endless tundra where herds of tigers graze upon strawberries trees...
That my destination for summer holidays, from around the 25th of july to the 6th of august with SheWhoRules and our 2yo daughter.

Do you have any suggestions ? We will not be overly nomads, with the little one being car sick. We would prefer country side.

Thanks Smiley

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Re: Going to Scotland
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:47pm

Not exactly Scotland but a little bit south: Lake District, especially Keswick. Easily accessible by bus or car from Manchester (don't forget to stop and have a look at the Lahun/Kahun sling on display and drink a beer with David), on the countryside with good hicking routes around (e.g. the Skiddaw) and a little lake with shallow shore (and pebble beach Wink ). Beware of the mosquitos.
If you want, I can give you the adress of a good bed and breakfast. I promise, you will go home with more fat on your ribs than you came with Wink

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2016 at 2:58pm

However, I'm a bit amazed that a french guy takes his family to the country of the special coats, renowned for its haute cuisine  Tongue  Wink
Enjoy it and don't forget to always order "your favourite ale" in the pubs!

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2016 at 3:00pm

You mean Tennent's, I guess?

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2016 at 3:22pm

Mauro Fiorentini wrote on May 2nd, 2016 at 3:00pm:
You mean Tennent's, I guess?

Not specifically. You'll always get something different. Especially if you travel a bit. And it's always good.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2016 at 3:40pm

take a lot of wet weather gear - particularly in summer it's wet.

They do say that if you can't see more than 10 metres it's raining and if you can see more than ten metres then it's about to start raining Smiley

Now I'd personally recommend coming down to the midlands. Better weather, better food and slinging Smiley

I suppose i could make it up to the industrial wasteland of manchester if you could only get that far south.

But seriously a 2 year old around scotland in the rainy season (scotland has two seasons: rainy and snowy Smiley

Rather you than me Smiley

I mean basically scotland has 2 cities and a lot of sheep. Sure the countryside if pretty, when it's not raining.
But as a holiday destination - nah, lol   

Oh yeah nearly forgot. If you're planning on going anywhere near a loch, get some serious heavy duty insect repellant.
The scottish midges are like tiny flying piranha !
Evil nasty bloody things.

Not quite as bad as the blackfly in ontario, but that's not saying much.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2016 at 7:45pm

Teg wrote on May 2nd, 2016 at 3:22pm:
Not specifically. You'll always get something different. Especially if you travel a bit. And it's always good.

Do it. Enjoy it.
But never dare to drink Tsingtao beer!!!

[email]https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/8/005/082/2b6/2488b9a.jpg[/email]

Joking.  Smiley It was first-choice beer for us crewmen when we were cruising around the Southern China Sea and the islands. More or less like Saku beer they make in Estonia.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2016 at 6:34am

One place I would recommend is Stirling Castle. Not only is it famous from Braveheart, it's where the original Unicorn Tapestries were made. They are being remade in medieval fashion. When I was there, they were restoring a hall in hand made period fashion. A piece of William Wallace was supposed to have been buried under there.
  Also, the castle was used as the the model for Hogwarts.
But then, Scottish are known for storytelling.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2016 at 7:58am

oh yeah lots of castles. Thumbs Up 

I'm serious about the insect repellant. Do not go anywhere near a loch without applying a layer at least a centimetre thick.
The bloody things get in your ears, in your hair up your nose.

With luck you'll be there for the 14 days or so a year when it isn't raining Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - May 10th, 2016 at 4:46pm

I am very envious. I would love to see Scotland. Have a safe trip and post lots of pictures please.

IP Logged

blackfur2
Descens

May your rocks always
roll................

Scotland
Reply #10 - May 13th, 2016 at 10:27am

Hey I would suggest going to isle of sky on the west coast I used to go to a place called glenelg witch is not far from sky it's amazing if the weathers nice if not get plenty of whiskey.

I stay in Fife in Scotland just over the bridge from Edinburgh it's a nice place to and not to meny midgys if your near by give me a shout and I will tell you of sum nice places to visit

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - May 14th, 2016 at 7:29am

weirdly somewhere in scotland ws the hottest place in the country one of the days last week.

So looks like you missed summer whistle

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)