Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bought 5m of seatbelt material to make 20 slings as gifts, help please! (Read 7253 times)
Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Bought 5m of seatbelt material to make 20 slings as gifts, help please!
Apr 24th, 2016 at 7:14pm

Hi guys, I finally got ahold of some seatbelt material to make sling pouches. I have yet to try making the first one, but I have used the M fold with leather pouches before, and learned basic whipping. I am a very novice sling maker but have been successful a few times with the most basic of builds.

Most of these will be gifts so I want to do a good job on them. I know there are a couple threads regarding the seatbelt sling, but I was hoping this forums knowledge could come together with your expert tips from making them yourselves and what you've learned over the years or months creating slightly different designs or lengths, etc, each time.

I plan to make large quantities of these if the first batch turns out well, and I desperately wish to learn how to attach and create a whip cracker on the end of the release cord of these seatbelt slings for the loud POP. Tips on this much appreciated, or reasons why this is a good or bad idea, or alternative ideas.

I hope to use these for golf balls, rocks, tennis balls, snowballs, and water balloons.

Currently my materials consist of:
120ft of 550 black paracord
Gorilla glue and elmers all purpose glue for whipping
A roll of Jute and twine
15ft of black seatbelt material 2 inch wide, quite thin
A 1x1ft sheet of untanned leather using sparingly
Glow in the dark spray paint in a can for ammo or pouch
Heavy black roll of duct tape.
Scotch tape

I need to buy #18 Mason's line for making whip crackers I think, anything else you all would recommend?

Any help or guidance would be truly a blessing, thanks! I will probably update this thread with pictures of my work over the next week or two.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Re: Bought 5m of seatbelt material to make 20 slings as gifts, help please!
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 7:41pm

I make a bunch of the seatbelt slings for people.  I keep it simple. I go to a junkyard  cut out my own seatbelts. Super cheap almost free.then I omly use paracordfor the cords. I.cut out about 3 feet of the paracord innards.  I use that as the whip stitching. I kerp em simple don't do the whip cracker.   Don't use glue, but melt the ends of the paracord innards on the whip stitching, acts as the glue.
Ryan

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 7:56pm

Would it be better to keep the paracord pure, purely from a performance standpoint? Or is performance improving by emptying the paracord, making the release and retention cords lighter and thinner (but flimsy I imagine from a hollow core...?) Why not just use a thinner rope instead of paracord and twine for whipping (assuming your reason isn't entirely for budget and ease of gathering materials)

All about performance here personally...

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2016 at 9:28pm

Xenovora, I cut the seat belt or leather 6 1/4", use a double overhand knot on the pouch end of pcord, use common whipping with immitation sinew (no glue), & double perfection finger loop. Love it!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 12:23am

Thanks Walter! I will definitely make at least a few with that pouch length for my first attempts as a standard if you recommend it. Is 6.25in. long enough for tennis balls?

Also I am slightly concerned about smooth stones and slick golf balls staying in the slippery belt pouch especially after not seeing very much curve in the outer edges of your sling pouch in the pic above.

I'll also YouTube that knot loop style for consideration, thanks!

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 8:47am

Yes, my seat belt sling is actually six inches overall. Whipping is 3/4". Golf balls, tballs, round stones...  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 6:56pm

Made three today!! All different lengths, gave the short one away as a gift, tested one, works wonderfully. The pouch really grips ammo like its nothing! Very happy with these so far. Each one takes about 15 minutes (excluding the time it takes for super gorilla glue to dry) Pouch is heavy enough to hurl smaller light ammo good distances.

That big roll of black duct tape seems useless for sling making now that I have experienced a few decent seatbelt slings. Probably throw it in the bug out bag instead.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 7:13pm

Pics please Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 8:19pm

image_005.jpeg (1957 KB | 161 )
image_005.jpeg

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 8:38pm

Looking good Xenovora  Thumbs Up

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2016 at 8:59pm

Thanks walter, fortunately for me, it couldn't be much easier to make lol. I'll probably stick with this design forever quite literally, except I'll add a whip cracker on the release cord as soon as I figure out how...

IP Logged

timothy42b

Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 3:50pm

Just don't do what I did.

I saw a bag of seat belt material in a thrift shop for $3.

I grabbed it quick before anybody else could see it.  It looked like 30 - 50 feet of it.

When I got home, I discovered it was all stitched together.

Yup, it wasn't seat belt at all.  It was a bowhunter's climbing harness.  I didn't have the heart to cut it.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2016 at 4:23pm

timothy42b wrote on Apr 26th, 2016 at 3:50pm:
Just don't do what I did.

I saw a bag of seat belt material in a thrift shop for $3.

I grabbed it quick before anybody else could see it.  It looked like 30 - 50 feet of it.

When I got home, I discovered it was all stitched together.

Yup, it wasn't seat belt at all.  It was a bowhunter's climbing harness.  I didn't have the heart to cut it.

Do what I did. Go to a U PULL IT junkyard.  I was able to pick up about 5lbs of seatbelts.  I even bought some I had made,  and gave em to the junkyard guys there. They were having a blast with them.  And let me take as uch as I want. Only for a few bucks.
Ryan

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 8:07am

They look perfect Xenovora, my current fave sling is pretty much the same except it has a split leather pouch.
One thing I do different, I put a single layer of hockey tape on the whipping at the release end of the pouch. I find it's always that first inch of transition into the cord that gets beat up and the hockey tape conforms well and wears well and is easier to redo than the whipping. I sling mostly on the railroad tracks and the rocks are hard on a sling

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 4:16pm

If you are too lazy to wait for the glue to dry, you can try zip ties, that's what I use on mine

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)