Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lengths of a sling? (Read 5935 times)
Jason
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Lengths of a sling?
Apr 20th, 2016 at 5:48pm

Hi all, this I think is my first post. I did a search and no results were found.

So I've been looking at making a sling and chosen the Rockman Sling - Bruno Tosso for my first one.
Yes i know slings can be of different lengths, but is there a good rule of thumb? Finger to centre of chest perhaps? Would this be too long or to short particularly for a first sling?

What would slingers recommend for a first and best on average? And potentially longest and shortest?

Thanks in advance  Smiley

IP Logged

Jareth_Atian

Slinging Rocks!

San Jose, CA
Re: Lengths of a sling?
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 7:26pm

I am NOT an expert, but I do steal shamelessly from experts whenever I can. In the 'Slinger's Guide Accuracy Chapter' thread, Morphy suggested that folks start with slings that are half their height, less 20-35%. This translates to multiplying one's height by 0.325 to 0.4 to get the beginning range.

For example...for a 5'10" (70") tall person:
70" * 0.325 = 22.75"
70" * 0.4 = 28"

So...a good beginning sling length for a 5'10" slinger might be  somewhere between 22.75" and 28" long, measured from the center of the pouch to the end of the finger loop.

I often hear that an ideal sling length for a more experienced slinger is 1/2 the slinger's height. I guess that I'm not experienced enough, yet. Heh.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 9:14pm

I' m six feet tall and like slings 27 to 28 inches measured from pouch ctr to release knot. For me, a 30 inch sling is too long for accuracy.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Onager Lovac
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 9:46pm

i remember reading somewere that if you are standing straight your sling should be barely touching the ground or a few centimeters above it.

IP Logged

Jason
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 3:52am

Thank you Jareth and Walter. I'll start with that formula, which also worked out for Walter whether he knew it or not. Lol. Your length fits right in those measurements. I'm 5'6 , so basically 21" - 26.5", so somewhere about 24" i think.

Not sure why I couldn't quote, just wasn't working for me on ipad

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 4:00am

my best slings for regular use (form,accuracy,power training, not range) are made with 6 strands of linen with length of my arm span, little longer than my height, so the ending sling length is less than the half of my height(i use "3 strand braid",something like this http://slinging.org/index.php?page=making-a-braided-sling-an-illustrated-guide ). this way i make 62 cm slings.i am 165 cm .
i wouldnt use less than 50cm or more than 110cm regularly unless you do pirouette or range throwing.

i'm not sure anymore if there is an ideal length for body structure or it is just muscle memory and training.
so try everything.

what i consider as short and long:
short sling     below 65cm
medium        65-85cm
long              over 85cm
its not a rule....

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 5:41pm

My general "rule" is fingertip to mid-bicep for accuracy, fingertip to shoulder for general slinging, and fingertip to mid-chest for distance/power.

when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

IP Logged

Jason
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 11:00pm

Thank you everyone. Great advice, given me plenty to go from.
Parmenion your link is very similar to one I'm working off. I'm close to finishing it off now, it's around 24" will know exactly when complete. I'm using paracord instead of other materials.

3 strand braid for the loop, then instead of doubling up on 3 strand braid with 2 per braid. I'm using a 6 strand round braid. I think it looks nicer. I have no idea if it will effect the performance.

IP Logged

Milky
Novicius

Tryin!

Santa Barbara, California USA
Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:15am

I used my first sling today. I did the method of - arm at side, forearm level to ground, pouch hovering off the ground. This means that I have a 43" sling pouch to loop, and I'm 6' tall.

I didn't feel my accuracy was terrible considering I had never done it before. They all went in the direction I was pointing and I got a few good hits. I definitely felt like I NEEDED heavier rocks to be close to my targets though.

I guess I'm off to make some more slings!

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 5:46am

Jason wrote on Apr 21st, 2016 at 11:00pm:
I'm using a 6 strand round braid. I think it looks nicer.

i use the 3 strand braid just to make slings faster...
i dont make the loop with 3 strands, when i finish the sling i sew the end of the cord on the cord making a loop. so it is a loop of 6 strands not 3 like in the tutorial.

Milky wrote on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:15am:
I got a few good hits

Cheesy just started and you are accurate?!
the first thing i did with sling was to throw for range , maybe it was a mistake

IP Logged

Milky
Novicius

Tryin!

Santa Barbara, California USA
Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 3:55pm

uhh... well I thew probably close to 150 rocks... so a few out of that many is not what I would call accurate. But also only a few wild ones. Most were in the general area I was aiming for. I definitely thew some as far as I could off a cliff. I had a big heavy rock that I hit a fence post with at about 30 yards, that was a satisfying sound.

Last night I made some shorter slings, a 23", a 29" and a 36". My bicep is a bit sore so I just thew a tennis ball for my dog a bit and I noticed the 23 and 29" definitely seemed easier than my first 43". The speed difference is also very noticeable however. With the 43" it was so long that I felt I could see it's trajectory better as it spun around my head.. I was hoping to practice a lot this weekend but didn't realize how sore my muscles would be.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2016 at 6:50pm

I feel it's more important to judge a sling's length from the perspective of the slinger using it. Results can differ greatly if you only go by raw measurements from someone a good deal shorter or taller than you. Smiley
I like to use slings between 28" and 31" because that's the length of my arm, give or take a couple inches. (measured from shoulder to outstretched fingertips.)
For me, that's a nice overall range for jack-of-all-trades. (I don't like having to swap between dedicated "short" or "long" slings) But for some people, that would be a long sling Wink

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Jason
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:53pm

I used my newly created sling (pics to come). Didn't take long to get the hang of it. Just throwing tennis balls. I do need to make a small adjustment, so it holds balls a little more level.
I'm getting the direction i like most times, I'll try to get more accuracy later on down track once I'm consistent

IP Logged

Xenovora

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 5:38pm

Paracord split pouch 18 inch sling works good for an indoor practice sling if you don't have much space indoors using practice foam golf balls from Walmart or wherever.

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2016 at 7:32pm

My Rockman sling is slowly disintegrating from the release cord. It started out at about 26" and is now down to about 22", maybe less. The release cord now measures 18.5".

I don't know if it's a culmination of practice, the sling getting shorter, or both, but am getting a lot more accurate than I expected a few weeks ago, so I suspect the shorter sling is a help.

Not that I'm good, but that I'm becoming consistently less bad with less effort. My casual shots keep landing in a smaller area, my 'aimed small' shots are likewise doing better, but what's improving the fastest is the lack of serious wingers. And this using both figure 8 and abbreviated Balearic (1 windup and release).

Was just about to braid a new sling and am wondering if I should start it out smaller. Had intended to make a beefier, longer 4 strand similar to the LaMancha sling. Maybe I make a shorter one...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15, Rat Man)