Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Of tennis balls and spin (Read 4111 times)
HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Re: Of tennis balls and spin
Reply #15 - Aug 16th, 2016 at 1:58pm

@Blowgunman 123 and Parmenion

Any added insight helps, and yes the more I dial my shots in the more I realize every change I make, whether winding up with my elbow away from my body or with elbow close to my rib cage, the orientation of my hand on release etc, changes impact point.

Part of my issue I believe is that my retention cord is looped around my pinkie and ring finer and runs lose out of my grip. So not only changing the orientation of my hand changes the spin, it also changes how well the contact of the retention cord is across the bridge of my hand on the follow through.

I suspect this may be the bulk of my remaining issues but have been unable to get good results with an index or middle finger loop as opposed to the cord running in my hand.

Or maybe it isn't, as I had the same issue even after adding length to the retention cord and wrapping it around my hand with a constrictor knot, securing where it exits my hand right at the base of my index finger.

More practice....

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #16 - Aug 17th, 2016 at 4:00pm

Doing some more experimenting tossing balls for the dog. I tend to step forward and to the left. When I consciously stepped straight forward into the cast my full power tennis ball shots now go straight forward.

Have to test this out with heavier shot - not sure why the same principle would work both ways.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 5:07am

Stones absolutely spin coming out of the pouch. At least mine do. A true backspin is attainable. It's all about your hand position as you release. I am fortunate. I'm not the best slinger here but many of our members have trouble getting a pure backspin on their projectiles. I have no problem with this. It's very much like riding a bicycle. Once you do it just one time it becomes very easy and simple to do.

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #18 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 7:52am

I cut a hole in some of my tennis balls about the size of a quarter to keep them from bouncing so much.

Didn't help with the bounce but they do sink in the pool now!

Also, if I orient the hole facing out the top of the pouch I can see they are doing a nice backspin - the hole is visible the entire time in flight. I'll just use a Sharpie and color a large dot next time.

My shots drifting to the right must simply be spinning off of horizontal.

Next up I need to point the hole out the bottom of the pouch and see what wrist contortions are required for a rifle spin.

IP Logged

HeavyHanded
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Upstate, NY
Reply #19 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 7:18am

Making progress now.

By marking up my tennis balls I can clearly see how the spin is effected by changes in wrist orientation. For the most part it is about as one would expect, but the orientation on wind-up is also part of the outcome.

Anyway, using a figure 8 I can get very close to a rifle spin - the tail is about 30° off side to side (canted left) on most shots, some are nearly dead on. I am bringing the shot overhead at closer to a 45° over and down with palm turned out as I might throw a javelin.

This is yielding a big improvement already in speed, straightness of path, and distance - even relative to a solid backspin.

I'm also using a new to me simplified single cord sling design that seems to be working very well, will post some details in another thread.

IP Logged

Vlad
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 1:46pm

I have made a discovery on the way of delivering a rifle spin while slinging.

I shift the last revolution of the sling into a different plain. It can be either parallel to the original plain, or it can be  achieved by rotating the axis of the last revolution around a centre.
Dan's preferred style is one example of this way of slining, but it works with different styles, for examlpe hellicopter or figureight, es well.

When I think obout it, I see this is another way of describing the same problem, as the wrist orientation thing. My way feels more holistic to me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)