Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Practical applications of slinging. IE hunting. (Read 2694 times)
Ripperx91b
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Practical applications of slinging. IE hunting.
Mar 16th, 2016 at 4:48am

I have searched many times and found very few practical instances of slinging. I was wondering am I the only one that hunts or are there others? 
I frequently have to cull rabbits to prevent issues and recently started using my sling to do it, I am not an expert but I am at a point where I either  get a cleanly killed bunny or a total miss. The largest thing I have killed  with a sling is a coyote  (with penetration) at 60 yards but I have dissuaded a feral burro at 80 with a bean bag. (My bean bags are recovered from less lethal  shotgun shells during training)

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: Practical applications of slinging. IE hunting.
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 10:13am

60yards and penetration ! wow Cheesy

how far can you throw for distance?
and you must have pretty good accuracy

i 've thrown at birds flying close to me but when i got really close to hitting them after some throws i stopped. i wouldn't eat them... so it's a hobby for me.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 12:02pm

I've never hunted with a sling because I'm pretty sure it's a rather brutal way to take down large game though I can't say I haven't killed a few coyotes with my .308 when I lived in North Dakota.. but that's a little different because the coyotes are dead before they knew what hit them.

Ripper, when you took down that coyote at 60 yards with penetration were you using a football shaped stone/piece of lead?

How long did the coyote live after you tagged it with the projectile from your sling?

Thanks

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 6:10pm

I've thrown rocks in the bushes near feral pigs to run them off a couple of times.  I got the idea to try it from a guy that chased off a black bear with a sling while walking his dog. 

As far as the pigs, the rock buzzing through the air and cracking and banging on branches and tree trunks made the pigs take off quickly.

And while I would have tried to hit one of the smaller piggies if it were by itself, they were always accompanied by momma, and she looked more than large enough to kill me and then eat me.  And I wasn't going to take a chance of hitting her with a rock and it not disable her.

I have also missed a whole bunch of squirrels.

In the case of the pigs, I threw roughly egg sized rocks that I picked up at the river, I threw golf ball sized clay glandes at the squirrels.

IP Logged

Ripperx91b
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 1:24am

The coyote was a bit a fluke he was after a neighbors chicken coop and the sling was quicker at hand than a gun. It was a stone around 6-8 ounces chalcedony from a wash 3" long 1.5" diameter rounded oblong cylinder and is a normal example of what I throw. The tote was only about 25 lbs he made it about 15 feet and was gone.
       I can hit about 200 meters for distance more sometimes less others. Like I said accuracy wise I either hit a rabbit or miss entirely and spectacularly.  I tend to use a big projectile because I desire clean kills. I use a sling because well slinging is great and the rabbits have a better than 50/50 chance with my abilities.

IP Logged

celron
Tiro

The rock flies.

Apopka, Florida
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 11:53am

Hunting with a sling simply isn't humane. It isn't very efficient or reliable, either - nowhere near as consistently deadly as, say, a bow or a rifle. Slings kill purely by impact force. There can be penetration if the ammunition is shaped correctly (if I remember correctly, Greek physicians had special calipers designed specifically for removing sling bullets) but the lethal factor is definitely the impact force.

Animals are far more resilient than most people realize. Simple impact force alone is insufficient to dispatch most forms of game. That fact combined with the plain lack of consistency inherent to slings make it a poor hunting weapon. Historical records show it being used either as a weapon of war or a tool for shepherds and farmers to drive off predators. There are of course exceptions to this; Apache stories claim their warriors were so proficient in slinging they could take down deer with a well-placed shot to the head, and similar stories of slinging prowess persist in other Native and Meso-American traditions.

Unless you are proficient enough in the use of a sling to nail deer in the head with perfect consistency, I would not rely on it as a hunting weapon.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 2:54pm

Use one of Lobohunters broad head glandes or even just a needle point glande and you will get lots of penetration. A 1.5 inch diameter hole through the vitals should get the job done fairly quickly. I agree though blunt ammo is only suitable for small game.

IP Logged

Ripperx91b
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 7:27pm

Celron ,I have spent enough years looking at wound cavities and blunt force trauma as a medic and a hunter to tell you that to my eyes there is nothing inefficient about a sling. A slinger may be inneffective but carfully chosen ammo and game it is a hell of a weapon. Blunt force trauma is extremely effective just needs to be enough for the job at hand. Anything that is under 20 lbs goes down very quickly.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 6:20pm

I love to hear first hand accounts of the damage that the sling produces on a hunt. It's a difficult weapon to use but I feel a well placed shot from a strong throw would get the job done most of the time.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:48am

It's been used to hunt birds, as suggested by ancient representations. I assume the movement of the sling drives the birds up, and the slinger had shot with enough lead that the flock flies into the stone, which has a good chance at bringing a bird down by the shock. Otherwise, using the sling to scare off big animals is also pretty historical.

Like Parmenion, I've taken shots at pigeons and partridges and gotten near misses; but the thought of smashing the life out of a bird, or maiming it and leaving it to die, just to test my sling, did not appeal.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 5:39pm

Rabbits are the only thing I've aimed at. Had a few near misses. However I plan on using the meat and fur if I get one. 
No killing just for the sake of it.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark)