Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ancient representations of slings on frieze of shrine of Athena, Pergamon (Read 2131 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Ancient representations of slings on frieze of shrine of Athena, Pergamon
Mar 16th, 2016 at 12:30am

I always wanted to find these, and stumbled upon them. Pictures not good alas. The shrine of Athena Nikephoros, at Pergamon, in modern W. Turkey, is surrounded by a columnaded gallery, decorated with reliefs that represent the weapons of the Attalid kings' enemies. C2nd BCE. Celtic shields, cavalry helmets, swords, spears, bits of warships. Among these, there are objects which have been identified as slings. They seem to have braided cords and leather pouches. But it's difficult to make out. I'll have a look at the publication.

http://arachne.uni-koeln.de/arachne/index.php?view[section]=uebersicht&view[layo...

http://arachne.uni-koeln.de/arachne/index.php?view[section]=uebersicht&view[layo...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Ancient representations of slings on frieze of shrine of Athena, Pergamon
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 7:36am

interesting they look like the real thick herding slings. Christian has something very similiar from tibet (I think).

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 7:43am

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 12:24pm

In one of them, the pouch is a flat diamond with a central rib. Sewn leather, to prevent stretch ? In the other, the pouch is clearly cupped-- as on a Aussie pouch or a Rockman job or a woven pouch.

If these are really ancient slings, they are the only representation of pouches-- in a particular work of art, namely the very realistic representation of weapons in a triumphal monument (for instance, the type of celtic helmets represented are the same as those found archaeologically).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 8:06am

weird picture.
not sure that tringular thing is a sling pouch - looks a lot more like a hair barret to me.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar)