Send Topic Print
Bay Area Slings (Read 4419 times)
Jareth_Atian

Slinging Rocks!

San Jose, CA
Bay Area Slings
Feb 28th, 2016 at 2:30am

Hey, all.

As I think that I've mentioned before, I suffer from chronic insomnia....and when I can't sleep, I make stuff. Braiding slings is quiet enough that I don't disturb my housemates and my cat loves 'helping' me keep track of all my strings/cords. Smiley

My collection of slings is getting too large, so I've set up an Etsy shop to sell off some of my stock! I'm planning on focusing primarily on selling synthetic cord (tarred bank line or braided, bonded mason line) slings that I've braided (or woven) by hand.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BayAreaSlings

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!
If

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Bay Area Slings
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 9:13am

I've thought about selling slings before but I would never be able to offer competitive prices. It's a lot of work and art and thought that goes into a great handmade  sling.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 12:57pm

competitive is a relative concept for a handmade original object.

uwe charges 50-70 euros for his slings and each one takes around 15 hours to make.

So not much per hour but a decent return on original material cost.
you have to try and balance things out.

Also bear in mind that if you sell a sling - you have money that you would not have had if you hadn't sold that sling.

It's all relative Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jareth_Atian

Slinging Rocks!

San Jose, CA
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 12:38am

I've decided to shut down the 'custom sling' aspect of my shop...I'll still occasionally be making slings and putting them up on my site, but Bay Area Slings will (for now on) sell only completed slings that are already in stock.

If you have any requests of suggestions, though, I'll definitely consider adding any interesting ideas onto the queue. Smiley

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BayAreaSlings

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)