Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Atassa (Read 1448 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Atassa
Feb 20th, 2016 at 8:24pm

An atassa or atassia is a wooden war club used in the south eastern portion of N America. 

The earliest reports call it "like unto a falchion, but made of wood".  This was a description from the DeSoto expedition from 1539 to 1542.  The "gunstock" war club used in "Last of the Mohicians" is an example but a very late one.

I am wondering if any of our European members have seen one while poking around in a museum.  It may have been called a waster or wooden sword used by the Indians of Florida. 

If you stumble across one, if possible, please take and post a picture.  Length, width and what type of wood that it is made of would also be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Atassa
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 11:29am

new one on me.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 3:45pm

Not too many survived, and most of those were very late 17th century on, the majority were actually 19th century.

I'm hoping someone on here knows of a small municipal museum that the family of Sir Forthwith, a famous 16th century scoundrel, I mean explorer, donated back in the day and there is a case full of NA artifacts that he brought back.

Sort of like what the 19th century explorers brought back from Africa and India and suchlike as reminders of a misspent youth.

I've talked to some of the experts in the field, there really isn't much.  Some drawings and paintings, and that's about it.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2016 at 5:52pm

Interesting these names:

Atlatl
Atassa
Atassia

The "weapon" is in Finnish "ase".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)