Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sling bullets from ancient Cyprus, one very big (Read 17294 times)
johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Re: Sling bullets from ancient Cyprus, one very big
Reply #45 - Mar 17th, 2016 at 10:57am

Mark-Harrop wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 6:56am:
Getting a biconical to release cleanly and rifle-spin correctly from any sort of helicopter/sidearm throw is difficult due to pouch orientation and the tendency for the cords to twist when you "break" your wrist.

wide grip and practice can fix this. if my sling cords twist i stop the rotations, cause i know it will be a wild shot, this happens rarely.
also be smooth.

if the projectile rotates around its axis then probably the teardrop is better than biconical, for subsonic speeds. but the differences are small.
sources:http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0151.shtml
http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/6454/what-is-the-ideal-shape-for-a-rock...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ArW-sA8NsQ

teardrop probably gains less lift for the same angle of attack
which is good and bad

teardrop would be a good way to disable enemy splitpouchers in battle from re-throwing your ammo back at you accurately  Tongue

for terminal ballistics i think the biconical is the best

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #46 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 3:21pm

I would gladly take the 150g glandes in my sling pouch.
I made a lot of ammo from clay awhile ago. From sphere to oval to biconical. I weighted them all at 130 grams, and afterwards I regretted not making them heavier. Most stones I pick these days are in the 150 - 180 g range. Yesterday I threw a 280 gram smooth rock that just fit in my pouch, and it worked, although it's very tiring. I love the sheer destructive power when they are smacked against a rock wall. It is very satisfying. I also love to throw big rocks as far as possible.

Yes, my arm gets quite sore and tired after doing 50 balearic slinging throws with big stones like this, but that's because my muscles still have to adapt. I find that doing a Greek sidearm style helps reduce the strain a bit. It also happens to be my most accurate style. But I think Balearic is just much more fun.

I can really see the usage of heavy ammo in battle. When the enemy advances close enough (as in 100-150 meters) I see no reason not to pelt them with heavy rocks or glandes. It would really suppress them. Doesn't matter if it's high or straight trajectory. Any hit on the head, even with steel helmet, is gonna give you a bad day. Any body part for that matter. Only the Roman Testudo formation would be effective against it. Than you must aim for the legs, which will be hard. I am glad those days are over...

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #47 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 12:43pm

I reread this thread since it got upped. Did Huntsman initially believe that football shaped bullets rotated in flight like a helicopter rotor ?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #48 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 12:59pm

If you throw them wrong, they sure will.  Ask me how I know that one.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #49 - Feb 1st, 2018 at 12:48am

Mark-Harrop wrote on Mar 17th, 2016 at 6:56am:
slow transition to release without twisting the cords
The quote is in regards to the figure 8.

The pouch motion from a figure-8 release has nearly the same mechanics as side arm, or any other release. In the figure 8, the pouch still has to rotate 180 degrees (axis along the cords) within 180 degrees of the throw rotation (axis through the hand, parallel to the ground and perpendicular to the direction of throw).  Watch David Morningstar's slow-mo videos. The pouch mechanics are nearly identical for all the throws. This particular argument for figure 8 doesn't hold water.

The only method that I can think of that doesn't require the 180degree spin of the pouch is the apache style.

I agree that the figure 8 is closer to a throw in some senses and in that manner seems to fit human biomechanics better, but I can chuck a stone 220m (maximum) with sidearm, and I have never done the same with figure 8. It is just how one practices, and I mostly practice sidearm. (personally, I think figure 8 is wasted motion.

John R.

IP Logged

Plumbata
Tiro

Wyoming
Reply #50 - Feb 16th, 2018 at 1:10pm

I've seen a 400 gram biconical blunt-tipped lead projectile also from Cyprus (shorter length versus thickness at middle relative to the more slender example shown here), which may well have been made for use with staff slings.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #51 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 2:29pm

Plumbata wrote on Feb 16th, 2018 at 1:10pm:
I've seen a 400 gram biconical blunt-tipped lead projectile also from Cyprus (shorter length versus thickness at middle relative to the more slender example shown here), which may well have been made for use with staff slings.

Well, A 400g projectile can still be slung with a sling quite effectively, although you could probably throw it further with a staff sling, but not more accurate. I've thrown a 420g rock against a stone wall and it still has enough power to shatter in many pieces.

Here member Timpa throwing a 5kg brick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HzzudOV7D0

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #52 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 3:16pm

I've regularly used a 500g or so rock with a hand sling but you can't really do that all day long with no consequences. Sling length has an effect where I find shorter slings put less strain on your arm.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)