Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Sling bullets from ancient Cyprus, one very big (Read 17296 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Sling bullets from ancient Cyprus, one very big
Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:53am

does seem weird - maybe it was easier to make.

or maybe they worshipped advacado trees Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 11:50pm

Isn't an almond section the best aerodynamically ?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 2:48am

Thearos wrote on Feb 24th, 2016 at 11:50pm:
Isn't an almond section the best aerodynamically ?

Naw, not really. Not in my experience anyway. I had a meat baller that would make almond cross sectioned ammo and it was markedly inferior to bullet or egg shaped. Didn't seem to release as smoothly and flew strangely half the time.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #18 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 7:24am

Interesting. We are speaking of the "(American) football" shape, yes ? By bullet shaped, what do you mean ?

Maybe the almond-cross-sectioned projectile is optimal IF you get the release just right  ? Or is ti to achieve maximum penetration on impact ?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #19 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 3:00pm

Might have something to do with increased penetration.  Not sure about the release being different but anything is possible. Or like CA said, might be easier to mold in large quantities. It was used a lot so we can assume it was effective enough to offset it's problems but it would be a mistake assuming it was the best shape just because they used it. History is replete with poor weapon design that was used widely by various cultures.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 10:51am

I'm pretty sure Masi said egg shaped ammo flies the furthest and spins truest.
Right Masi?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #21 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 3:15pm

Yes, I'd like to hear more about this. I would have thought a rugby ball shaped bullet would have been the perfect shape aerodynamically

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #22 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 2:44am

The shape of the stone has everything to do with even contact with the pouch upon release. Pouches are typically football shaped at their base, not perfectly round, thus a football shaped stone or lead glande makes optimal contact with the pouch upon release. No room for the projectile rocking one way or the other when you are rotating the sling before release.

If you know how to throw the aerodynamics of the stone mean little in the long run, unless you are using a ridiculously flat stone which has no business being in your pouch from the get-go.

..also this is why Balearic split pouches work best for all types of stones. There are only two contact points to mess you up so if you have a decent stone it's all about proper placement.  Wink

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:44pm

Thearos wrote on Feb 26th, 2016 at 3:15pm:
Yes, I'd like to hear more about this. I would have thought a rugby ball shaped bullet would have been the perfect shape aerodynamically

My money is on you Thearos. Rugby shape or slightly enlogated rugby shape perhaps. Seems like the most aerodynamic shape.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #24 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 7:17am

I agree the football shape seems the most aerodynamic to me too. I think what Masi said about the egg shape is that if you shoot it with the fat end towards the front it helps make the flight more stable. It has to do with how it spins and how much wobble the shot has

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #25 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 2:27am

You guys think the oblong football shape was used because it was more aerodynamic... Do you guys know anything about ballistics? Shocked

I throw stones and shoot guns daily. I know what I'm talking about, otherwise I wouldn't be opening my mouth.

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 3:34am

At the moment no one has the kind of scientific evidence needed to prove beyond a doubt any theory of what works best. Thats a long road right there, and we have barely scratched the surface.  Ballistics for bullets don't translate perfectly to sling thrown projectiles because of the inherent differences between the two weapon systems.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 4:45am

..To claim a football shaped stone was thrown through the air because it was "most" aerodynamic is a ridiculous statement. Whether a stone was thrown from a sling, shot from a gun, or bounced off your mom's ass, we are talking about flight through the air. It's called physics and it does not add up.

As I said before, the curvature of the glande or stone has EVERYTHING to do with even contact with the pouch upon release. It has nothing to do with the aerodynamics of a wobbling football shaped projectile flying through the air that goes counter to everything humans have achieved through ballistic knowledge to date..  Wink

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 5:12am

Flight through the air yes. But there is more than just it's flight through the air to take into account. Such as how well it can be released from a sling realistically. What shape shoots best from a gun does not necessarily work well form a sling.

A long, narrow pointed cylinder, I.e. a bullet is not the optimal shape for a sling proprojectile so claiming secret knowledge based on shooting bullets does not add up. Ultimately everything you say may be 100% right. You just don't have the evidence to back it up yet. No one does. Science has nothing to do with how sure you feel you are, you need repeatable,  verifiable testing taking into account all the variables. Such testing does not exist yet. Physicists and engineers have been testing bows for 100 years and we still can't agree on everything. Slings have a long way to go.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 6:29am

Sounds like this is a new idea to you Hunts but it is worth being open minded about it.
I think an egg shape would have great surface contact with a pouch whether it's a solid or split pouch. I suppose if you're arguing for better contact you should try a solid pouch too. An egg will fit great in either.

I also think if you know how to throw you will find a big variance in ammo. Once the projectile leaves the pou h it's down to shape and design to see how far it can carry the energy you imparted. So if an egg shape gives more stability it will fly straight further before it starts to wobble and lose its speed and trajectory.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man)