Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chiaraje question (Read 5724 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Chiaraje question
Reply #30 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:40am

Heres a challenge for anyone willing to test out the theory.

Pick up a random group of stones. Triangular, jagged, ugly stones. Poorly shaped and inconsistently weighted. Sling with them at a 4 ft. square target 25 meters away for a week or two, one slinging session a day. Keep detailed notes of your groupings. Not just whether you hit the target but the size of the groupings.

Then switch to perfect and consistent ammo, again sling with them for a few weeks and keep detailed notes on grouping.

Then get back to us with the results.

A stone does not know it's being accelerated by a sling or a hand or a cannon for that matter. Aerodynamics do effect a flying projectile. It may be that the target is too big to notice or there is a bit of confirmation bias going on. But aerodynamics don't cease to exist because the stone was accelerated by a sling. Once it's in the air, all the same rules apply.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #31 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:19am

Morphy wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:40am:
Heres a challenge for anyone willing to test out the theory.

Pick up a random group of stones. Triangular, jagged, ugly stones. Poorly shaped and inconsistently weighted. Sling with them at a 4 ft. square target 25 meters away for a week or two, one slinging session a day. Keep detailed notes of your groupings. Not just whether you hit the target but the size of the groupings.

Then switch to perfect and consistent ammo, again sling with them for a few weeks and keep detailed notes on grouping.

Then get back to us with the results.

A stone does not know it's being accelerated by a sling or a hand or a cannon for that matter. Aerodynamics do effect a flying projectile. It may be that the target is too big to notice or there is a bit of confirmation bias going on. But aerodynamics don't cease to exist because the stone was accelerated by a sling. Once it's in the air, all the same rules apply.

I'd love to take up that challenge, sadly I can only sling a few times a week  Undecided

Yesterday I was slinging ugly, uneven stones into the distance. Quite weighty as well. They weren't elongated or flat, but still ugly. With all my distance throws, I hear a lot more buzzing and wizzing compared to throwing smooth glandes or smooth uniform rocks. Here where it's very windy (The Netherlands) they often even take a curved flight from the spin effect, and almost never go straight. That's enough for me to know they are far from as efficient. It's almost impossible to throw accurately with a sling past 40 meters when it's windy using jagged rocks if the wind is anywhere except in your back. If you live in dense mountainous area or deep inlands where the wind is almost zero, I can understand you will have a completely different experience when throwing uneven jagged rocks. But in windy places it just makes sense to throw smooth, aerodynamic uniform ammo, so that your trajectory is not curved to the sides but straight. They have much less drag.

Also, when throwing the uneven jagged rocks, I just barely touch the 200 meters at max. They lose more energy more quickly. Although I do use a short sling ( just past the length of my arm)
Glandes however go much(!) further.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #32 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 8:00am

It's a traditional ceremony between two neighbouring village folks.
So it a tradition to them,a good party, a bit of showing off,and proving which village is better Tongue and a good action filled event.
So main point is definitely not to kill the other dudes. If it happens, it happened. Everyone knows the risks,and assumes risks.
A Sling can be anything from a piece of rope to a deadly weapon. The one who wields the sling, his skill and his intent turns it into one or the other. If a Rifle is discharged, even if is just from dropping it on the ground,can kill . A sling is different..

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #33 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:04pm

@JH - I agree JH, and I think you're being more generous with your comparison than I would but yes it certainly makes a difference however you look at it. I tend to think wind or no wind, it factors in.

My experience in slinging with wind is : slinging against the wind is almost pointless. Slinging with it is a lot of fun and slinging with a cross wind is actually pretty cool to try and get your shots to drift sideways into your target at impact.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)