no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Chiaraje question
Feb 5th, 2016 at 10:23am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RmjIXhdLbk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds2wiMjWEmk
there are lots of videos
I dont understand, how they dont kill each other?
they miss all the time?
they are underpowered?
also they seem to be at close distances so they are within range of sling

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Chiaraje question
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 11:03am

I have never been there but it is dangerous! I imagine a lot of them aim low and don't shoot to kill. Still, I'm sure there are lots of injuries and some deaths perhaps.
Rockman lives in Peru, he would be the guy to ask

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:43pm

The reason there aren't more injuries is because they plain jane suck. I'd be knockin em dead no problem. Despite this, I've never seen anything so dangerously lame but awesome at the same time..  Cheesy

Thanks for posting these videos !

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Jareth_Atian

Slinging Rocks!

San Jose, CA
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 2:50pm

Hum. Doing a quick web search shows that there *have* been a bunch of deaths and serious injuries. That having been said...the Chiaraje isn't a war, it's a ritual. They aren't trying to kill each other but rather intend to demonstrate their prowess and mental fortitude. According to one of the articles that I read, at the end of the ritual they all go out drinking, comiserate about their aching bruises and show off their new scars.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2016 at 8:22pm

I think back: Chiaraje will produce a better crop?
Finland is being boring, and trust only the fertilizer. Smiley

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 5:19am

HuntsmanSling wrote on Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:43pm:
The reason there aren't more injuries is because they plain jane suck. I'd be knockin em dead no problem.

Their goal is NOT to kill each other...

And if I'm not mistaken, they don't wait the evening to drink, that may also explain why they have some difficulties to aim :p

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 5:30am

Caldou wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 5:19am:
HuntsmanSling wrote on Feb 5th, 2016 at 1:43pm:
The reason there aren't more injuries is because they plain jane suck. I'd be knockin em dead no problem.

Their goal is NOT to kill each other...

And if I'm not mistaken, they don't wait the evening to drink, that may also explain why they have some difficulties to aim :p

O please. It's a weapon dude regardless.

You're telling me you watched those videos and actually think those bone heads know what they are really doing. It's obvious, they can't intentionally hit the broad side of a barn let alone intentionally aim and hit the lower body of their "opponents," while jumping around like rabbits, also "drunk" as you say Roll Eyes

That's like me shooting my rifle at you in the dark and saying my intention is not to kill you. It's a weapon and anyone would be a fool to believe my intent was not to kill you.

They ARE trying to hit each other and they are throwing as hard as their little arms can muster. Only problem is they don't know how to aim so their "intent" is really up to chance and has nothing to do with their goals.

As I said before, dangerously lame yet entertaining. It seems to me some of them are putting a lot more effort into trying to injure one another then it would take me to kill them left and right all over the field. Their effort and choice of weapon reflects intent to kill however there are few deaths PRIMARILY because of their lack of skill. AKA plain jane suck Wink

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 11:17am

they remind me hooligans.they really want to get hit(but they don't say it) till they get really hit. It's also like the theatre hooligans play, who carry deadly weapons but they use it only if the others use it . if one hits the other fataly and then we have escalation.
people are strange

a thought about those who are close to the "enemy" is that they dont throw waiting for the opponent to make a move or throw first and then hit them or chase them away

@HuntsmanSling they might be more accurate than we think and throw only to the legs or miss on purpose or even dodge stones someway thinking they cheated death Tongue. and yes its dangerously lame as you said. A lot of things people do are.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 1:49pm

I think we make the assumption that since they live in Peru, a slinging culture, they must be very good slingers.  I doubt that. There are probably some very skilled  slingers among them but most of them seem pretty inexperienced. Just based on what I see.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 4:34am

johan wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 11:17am:
@HuntsmanSling they might be more accurate than we think.

Nope. Just a bunch of inaccurate idiots. You've watched the videos... Inexperienced, dangerous fools who clearly don't take slinging seriously outside this event. Probably all messed on boose(as admitted), peyote, and home grown shwag ganja. Tongue

However, I do agree with Morphy that there must be some slinging diamonds in the Peruvian ruff. At least I HOPE Wink

From what I've seen they are brave, however despite their courage they are recklessly irresponsible AND untalented with their weapons and thus an embarrassment to the international slinging community.

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 11:56am

@HuntsmanSling yes you are right. When i first saw the videos i was like "WOAH! Look at that mob slinging. Cheesy" After a while i was come on nobody is droping dead  Huh, and then i felt embarassed because it made me think that sling is just a toy and can't hurt anybody Sad . But we all know it isn't true...

in such mobs even statistics would say there will be at least one  slinging a stone to the head(or neck, solar plexus, groin etc) of another person even if both are drunk.

I can't admit that there are any slinging diamonds that they are actually aiming others, if we say there is one talented slinger aiming people then there should be a lot of deaths.

that's why i said "they might be more accurate than we think"

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 3:19pm

they're definitely more drunk than you think Smiley

The other thing you need to remember is that they most likely only use their slings this one time of the year.

Take the balearic slingers - the good ones are very good and practice regularly.
But many of the slingers taking part in the competitions, don;'t really practice between competitions, are not good slingers and do it as much for the camraderie and social aspects as for the slinging.
And yes - booze is also drunk Smiley

I got quite tipsy at one comp last year.  And still - with one hit - managed to beat quite a lot of the locals.
Hell pep ribasribas - the head of the federation, has not used a sling in living memory whistle
My main goal this year is to get pep up to the line with a sling in his hand and a rock !

So there will be good peruvian slingers and they most likely will not be trying to kill anyone.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 1:20am

Agreed, there has to be some skilled slingers among the Peruvian people. I mean for an entire culture to love slinging and not have a few skilled slingers would be shocking. I also agree with you guys that none of these skilled slingers are flexing their skill at this event, otherwise it would be a massacre.

However, I think that the more skilled you are with a sling the more you respect its lethality as a weapon. It's a process of understanding. As a result I believe that from this skilled pool of Peruvian slingers there is an even smaller fraction actually contributing to this ridiculously dangerous event. They simply know better, and like myself, are shaking their heads at these videos. Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2016 at 2:45am by HuntsmanSling »  

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 11:13am

OMG I totally forgot to make the post to this year´s Chiaraje.

The festival takes place in January. The objective is to capture strategic high points in the field, then defend it.

If you check some of the older videos, you will notice that the ammunition they´re using are simply random rocks from the field, these are irregular and angular, badly suited for slinging.

Coupled with the fact that these guys are totally drunk and lack of serious practice, the whole thing quickly descends into a drunken brawl rather than organised fighting.   

Other that the sling, the other weapon they use is called a liwi, a flail type device consisting of a handle, rope and a blunt object on the tip. If you see guys making sling type motions at near point blank range, they might be using this weapon.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 1:50pm

Rockman's comments seem to show that the point is not to kill or hurt opponents, but to drive them off bits of terrain by showering them / threatening to actually shower them with stones, then to drive off any attempt to recapture ground by showering, etc. I.e. when the stones start getting too close or too accurate, people bug out, then come back with more friends to try to drive you off.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)