Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Survival sling question (Read 8697 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Survival sling question
Feb 2nd, 2016 at 2:50am

Maybe you guys can help me out. So lately I've been working on a design for a survival sling. By that I mean an easy to make but well made/made to last sling. This question is largely hypothetical as there is about a hundred things I would make in such a situation before a sling but play along if you want. I went with a split pouch because it's easier to make quickly from just fiber. I have some other things I'm going to add to it and I will possible detail them in another thread but the main question I have is what would you guys use in this situation to protect the pouch from wear? Assuming you had no access to leather right off.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Re: Survival sling question
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 4:12am

Well in a survival situation I wouldn't care about the structural longevity of my sling, more about putting food in my belly. Wink

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Cavemanzhi

Teaching stones to fly!

Cambridgeshire, UK
Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 5:18am

I was actually putting together a post about a similar topic but I never actually got around to posting it. whistle

I make a habit of always keeping a bit of paracord on hand, so I'm not sure if this is what you're going for, but I think it's pretty close.

Anyway, I replaced a lot of the laces on my shoes with paracord but for times when I wear sandals or if my shoe are too nice to have paracord laces, I have a loop of gutted paracord that I wear as a bracelet.  It's about 7' long and it can be folded in half and just 3 knots turn it into a quick sling!

"Sir, that guy is stealing stones from the rock garden again."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 6:50am

well given I was in a survival situation I'd want a sling that could handle the widest selection of ammo.
ie: large heavy rocks for bringing down larger animals, a handful of small rocks for birds.

Anyway you look at it you want a solid pouch.

You could material from your own clothing quite easily, weave a mesh insert into the split. Or use the one you always have in your back pocket Smiley

But versatility would be my main aim.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 7:51am

Leather pouch with paracord release and retention cords. This setup would be very durable yet if one part broke it would be very easy to replace without braiding. It's also light and small enough to be carried in a pocket comfortably.

when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 11:21am

Oh, didn't see the no leather. Fashion something out of a bandana or duct tape for the pouch.

when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 12:13pm

All good answers. Technically I guess you could use a back pocket of your jeans. I had not considered that.

Assuming, hypothetically, that you were making it out of just materials you could gather from the wild? Is there a suitable substitute for leather? You definitely could make a solid pouch. That would work. My only thing is in my experience in make fiber from the quickest sources of natural cordage, it can really wear down due to abrasion quite quickly.  So solid pouch or split, I am still running into that problem of abrasion resistance.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 3:40pm

You only need the frail woven pouch until you bag something with enough leather on it...
But you can weave a separate pouch (or several) to be able to remplace it once it is out

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 4:38pm

I would want something that was very comfortable for me to use plus I'd want it to be versatile.  For longevity either paracord or polypropylene would be fine.  They are almost impossible to wear out.  As far as a sling I felt comfortable and consequently confident with it's sort of a toss up between a Rockman and a modified pj.  Which I made would depend on what mood I was in at that moment I guess.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 5:11pm

If I were here in az mtns, I would make a sheep shank sling out of yucca or dogbane fiber. When and if the fiber wore out, I would make another Wink Happens that I have some yucca to spin and will try to make time to make the sling and post it this weekend. Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 7:18pm

What about boiling up some tree sap and lining the pouch with a thin layer as not to hinder flexibility?

You could even go a step further by rubbing in some dirt into the sticky sap once it is applied. I've heard of people doing this on the bottom of their feet when without shoes. Not exactly Nike tennis shoes but hey you do what you gotta do Wink

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 11:26pm

A Rat Man-esque TSSS from reverse-twisted natural cordage seems to work rather well  Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE

I've never had an issue with narrow pouches, but weaving the TSSS' pouch wider than usual could help those that need width to handle a variety of odd ammo.

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 3:39am

That's got to be the best slinging video I've ever seen. Thanks for posting that Donnerschlag. Is that you in the video?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 9:45am

A sheepshank fiber sling Cheesy Think this was filmed in Australia. Anyone know the tree genus/species?

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 11:13am

Duct tape is the answer to lots of questions about improvised slings with solid pouch Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15)