Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Survival situation (Read 4468 times)
Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Survival situation
Reply #15 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 7:32pm

Where ever you guys decide to hold this, let me know.  I will show up with some of the big buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken on the fourth day or so.

I don't know if this is still true but Domino's Pizza used to deliver to grid coordinates.  May be something to keep in mind until the batteries in your phones die...

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #16 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 6:09pm

I think around day 4 some of us will look like a bucket of chicken to the other survivalists.  Still, I would give it a try assuming I had no family to leave behind when the inevitable happens.  Not sure if adventure is the right word but it would certainly be interesting. That and some day competing in Mallorca.  Cool  Mans gotta dream right.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Feb 1st, 2016 at 7:31pm

Forget the tv survival comedies. The hunter/gathering lifestyle is totallyly different requiring a different mindset. We would be going out to live reasonable lives, not literally running back to...
Only takes a dozen or less compentent people in abo tech, hunting, tracking and widcrafting skills Cheesy

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 2:12am

Over the last 7 months I have been eating a Paleo diet.  It was very hard to give up some of my food addictions so I know what Bill is talking about with the salt and stuff. But it's amazing what the body can get used to.  I also think it would be cool to go out with some heirloom seeds and have a little garden out there. That would be a project for a longer test period because 3 months wouldn't get you much in returns from the garden.

Over the years I've used many ancient skills. Like drop spindles and making all sorts of different things with just a knife. I think it would be great "fun" assuming I survived the first month or so.  It would be fun to really put these skills to use.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #19 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 6:29am

Love to, but right now I have some medical issues that would make that too rough.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Feb 2nd, 2016 at 4:13pm

I stated earlier that I was too old for such an adventure.  My age isn't the real limiting factor.  It's my meds.  I need certain meds to function so I'll ask Morphy.. in your scenario can I take a months supply of my legal medications?  If that's the case then I'm in.  I love the outdoors, am reasonably strong and fit for someone my age, and have a very good knowledge of edible plants plus other survival skills.  Otherwise I don't know.. maybe I could cut it but I'd be in a lot of discomfort.  I'd probably pass without the meds.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #21 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 1:50pm

Yes meds are all ok.  The main idea is to step far outside the norm and do something that is memorable that involves our mutual love of primitive skills.  Taking meds wouldn't inhibit that in any way.  Donnerschlag posted a video on the survival sling question thread that has a guy who is basically living like I'm talking about except he's probably not doing it full time. He's got a little garden, a nice hut, and enviable primitive survival skills. That's what I would like the try some day.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 5:00pm

Cool beans.  I'm in then.  It sounds great.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #23 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 6:48am

can it be on a really nice tropical island. No hurricanes, no pirates, no giant spiders, no poisonous snakes but lots of medium sized constrictors (good eating), Lots of fresh water and maybe wild pigs.
'cos that'd be a great holiday Smiley
Plus you could make your own seasalt, oh and there'd have to be plenty of wild garlic. Not sure I'd want to survive without garlic. And maybe it could be on an island that got a little radiation back in the fifties from all those atomic bomb tests, so that there would be some really weird plants growing.
One that had a thick yellowy sap that was exactly like butter - you can't have fresh seafood without garlic and butter Smiley
ANd onions, and some reallly way out fungi with fireproof caps that worked exactly like frying pans.
And maybe in the second month a visit by some unfeasibly desperate amazons. Yeah i could get into that Smiley

Hmm, I suspect I'm not really getting into the spirit of this Wink

It'd be interesting that's for sure.

But would I like to do it in england ? with the shitty weather, rain, cold and just lack of beaches and seafood and rabbits that are smarter than you and gamekeepers coming after you for poaching their birds and people calling the police after you've 'harvested' the ducks from their ornamental duck ponds  ?
Not a chance in hell Smiley

I wouldn't die - but I certainly wouldn't enjoy it and I'm too old to do crap I don't enjoy !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 10:03pm

You can make butter or hickory nut butter fairly easily.  Mash the nut to goo on a rock.  Put the mashed nuts in a pot and simmer.  The oils and the meat will float up to the top to be skimmed off.  The shells will stay on the bottom.  Don't know how they would taste on seafood, it's pretty good on corn.

And be prepared to mash a lot of nuts to get not a lot of butter.

You can fry stuff on a flat rock after you dry it.  Otherwise, it will crack or possibly explode.  You can also use a board as a reflector, it isn't frying but it's not quite baking, either.

And if the desperate Amazons show up, I don't think they will be quite that desperate.  Even if they must get impregnated to save their tribe, they will take one look at me and decide that they really aren't all that desperate.  Sad

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #25 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 12:32pm

I'd be making moonshine for the Amazons.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #26 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 6:58pm

c_a, you've obviously thought about this quite a bit. Roasted wild pig without garlic would be a sin.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #27 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 11:42pm

Plenty of wild leeks where I live, feral hogs, too.

I actually do this for fun.  Except I usually limit it to just a weekend.  That way, if I don't catch, kill or root up something, I won't get too hungry.

And doing it next to a river or stream with modern fishhooks and lines is almost too easy.  A dozen limb lines or a couple of set lines and you will almost always have several fish.  Interestingly, if you eat nothing but fish, you will get the trots, so you have to find something to go with it.  Cress, Dock, Cattail shoots or roots, depending on what time of year, berries, roots, shoots, put it all in a pot and simmer.  Some, like the dock, you will have to cook separately because it needs to be prepared correctly, so you will need two pots.

By the fourth day, you will be surprised at what you will eat.  And how much time you spend getting it.

Hint:  Trapping is a lot more effective than hunting.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)