Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question: bow wood tension or compression? (Read 1761 times)
johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Question: bow wood tension or compression?
Dec 25th, 2015 at 2:13pm

Please name any woods/trees you know is good for the back and what is good for the belly of the bow.

The only thing i know is that bamboo is good for the back(tension).

For example where would you put : black locust, cypress, mulberry,cedar, european beech, maple ,ash,chestnut,Buxus sempervirens,Quercus coccifera,Ailanthus altissima,Juglans regia.

back or belly? tension or compression? Huh

Last 4 have scientific name because i don't know how you call them in your region.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Question: bow wood tension or compression?
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 10:35pm

Those woods are all over the place honestly. Fortunately, barring any really bad injuries to the wood, most weaknesses can be overcome in design. I believe one of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible (check the table of contents before you buy it I guess, or just buy all 4!) has a chapter on bow wood that could answer all of those questions.

For example, I know BL can be weak in compression (it chryssals), but I've made a bow from it and I've seen many others and as long as it has wide belly and an even tiller. Cedar can also be weak in tension so it is often sinew backed. However, if you look around Primitive Archer forums, you can almost always find one bowyer "breaking the rules" of bow making with a design that "shouldn't work" but does because of proper handling of the wood and perfect tiller.

Regardless, if you are new to bow making, I would recommend picking up the TBB series before you get started on a new staves, it'll save a lot of breaking and you can learn a lot more. I know I didn't directly answer your question but I think that'll be better in the long run, hope it helps.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 11:10am

Most of those woods will make a bow.

However, they won't make the same kind of bow.  Some will make "D" cross section bows, some will make flatbows, and some will make good "English longbow" style bows.

But a lot will do poorly if you make the wrong kind of bow for the type of wood you are using.

As Dan suggests, check out the Bowyers' Bible series, there are lots of discussions of what wood to use for what design bow that you are making.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 2:57pm

Not too sure about Cypress or the scientific named ones but the others are well known bow woods. There are two ways given in the bowyer's bible series for understanding a given woods properties enough to help you design a bow from it. The first is in part one and I believe is called A Standard Bending Test or something. The second is in part 4 and uses specific gravity to give you a general ballpark on how to design a bow from any given wood. Both are probably not for the casual bowmaker but if you're inclined, they are options.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 11:19am

Pretty sure that Seminoles and southern Creeks used cypress for bows.

I'm guessing that they used 100+ year old trees  with clean wood.  Most cypress that I have seen is very knotty.  Or they could have been made from the underside of a large limb.

Jim Hamm's book, "Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans, Vol. 1", has some pictures of cypress bows.  Even though they are suspected to be made for tourists, the design looks like it will work for that wood.

Cypress is a ring diffuse connifer just like cedar or juniper.  So, a design that works for those might work for cypress with a little tweaking.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner)