Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sleeping in a hammock instead of a bed. (Read 5758 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Sleeping in a hammock instead of a bed.
Reply #15 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 12:33pm

I think you might wind up making a free standing one. I much prefer the idea of bolting one into a stud but when I was looking around I hit enough horror stories of pulling out of studs that I think I'd install a crossbar attached to multiple studs, and bolt the hammock to it, just to be on the safe side. But that kind of alteration doesn't mix well with renting. I saw a bunch of ideas here:

http://www.hammockidea.xyz/hammock-stand/

The tension ones seem cool, but I'd probably go with a more pedestrian http://www.hammockidea.xyz/hammock-stand/wooden-hammock-stand-signals-hammock-st...

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #16 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 9:21am

@perpetual... Thanks for the link Cool; some of those can be built by someone with average wood butcher skills (no cabinetry or lamination involved).
P.S.
I also found a few on Pintrest .. searched for hammock stand.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2016 at 9:05am by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #17 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 1:10pm

You might be interested in this too Steven

http://sectionhiker.com/portable-hammock-stands-for-camping-by-derek-hansen/

Apparently there are a bunch of collapsible stands and this guy seems to have done a nice blog overview of the types. If nothing else it'd give you some search terms and ideas.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

SoLar
Tiro

!skcoR gnignilS

Canton, MI
Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2016 at 11:45am

Tomas-Sorry I didn't realize I never responded. But sleeping in a taunt hammock isn't as comfortable as leaving slack and finding a comfortable position.

http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/hammock-angle/

I also remember reading somewhere that a hammock that is to tight, hanging at a more elevated angle than 30°, then it puts dangerous stress on the hammock and trees.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:31am

I've been sleeping in a hammock for a few months now, a nice large canvas one. It took some getting used to but now I love it

Yesternight however I again slept on a regular bed. This morning i woke up stiffer than ever, I can hardly raise my head from the stiffness in my chest and back area. ouch

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 3:07am

I think that the same happens in reverse.
Your body likes routine

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Kick
past-moderator

Finland
Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 3:31am

We recently got a MASSIVE hammock as a wedding gift. It's a Honeymoon Hammock from Ticket To The Moon (you've undoubtedly seen them around in sports and camping shops). It's fantastic but I can see why they call it the Honeymoon Hammock. It can fit two people, but that other person has to be someone you really really like Cheesy I'm hoping to get a tarp for some rain cover and test out how comfortable it is with some sleeping mats for some camping trips. The one problem is always sliding into the middle which I hope the sleeping mats will help prevent. If I can solve that then I may just want to live in it because it's so comfy and relaxing.

https://scandinavianoutdoor.fi/ticket-to-the-moon/varusteet/teltat/riippumatot-j
a-kalusteet/honey-moon-hsparkling-gold/

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 3:45am

A good tarp is the DDtarp. I have a more expensive lighter weight tarp by RAB but all my friends got DDtarps and for the price I think it’s the best option unless you really really need to save weight or pack space. My RAB tarp is awesome but it’s expensive.

Sleeping mats is a rabbit hole im yet to get out of. Still use a super cheap yoga roll mat until I decide what to get

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 4:51am

I have a dd camping hammock but its not nearly as nice as a traditional canvas hammock, the balance is not right. This is not to do with the nylon but its due the suspension system, it doesn't balance it right like a traditional hammock does with many ropes. I am glad it was not my first hammock or I wouldve never gotten another one.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 5:50am

I also have a Tentsile Stingray tree tent. It’s a little bit of a gadget gimmick but it’s awesome for long stays in the right spot. Not at all suited to most of my outdoor adventures but it’s pretty awesome when it’s worth packing.

So many hammocks on the market these days, not sure what’s best but I definitely want a bug net with the next one I get. I’m almost due a new one too.
I imagine that a canvas one is comfy but not very pack friendly

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man)