Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sleeping in a hammock instead of a bed. (Read 5760 times)
SoLar
Tiro

!skcoR gnignilS

Canton, MI
Sleeping in a hammock instead of a bed.
Nov 26th, 2015 at 9:32am

I recently got a large one and am enjoying sleeping in it, diagonally of course. Does anyone else sleep in a hammock instead of a bed? If so do you have any tips about set up, or just an account if you have tried it.

For anyone who hasn't, I'm curious if you would try it given the opportunity. Or if you have any experience with it besides trying to sleep in one yourself. Thanks for reading  Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Sleeping in a hammock instead of a bed.
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 6:24am

I sleep in a hammock all the time now. i find that, despite my chiropractor's  warning, my back doesn't hurt like it did in a regular bed.
  It will stretch out eventually, but washing it takes care of that. There are metal frames for them also.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 4:41pm

Hammocks are great and many south american indigenous tribes have uses them for centuries if not millenia.
Myself, I would use one for camping instead of a sleeping bag. If I were to try and use it long term I would try and tie it so it would have minimal slack to get a more "supportive" hammock.
I've often looked at the other end of the spectrum with Japanese bed styles. They basically just use a thick rug. This really appeals to me cause I find sleeping flat on the floor very therapeutic.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 5:17pm

I used to use a hammock tent when I was bike camping. Could string it up with or without the tent and it has a fly for rainy weather. It's comfortable and really helped my chronic back pain Smiley Horrid in cold weather Sad

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 11:29pm

I sleep in a bed at home, but I do like to lounge and camp in a hammock whenever I get the chance. I've toyed with buying or building an indoor hammock stand to use a hammock as a spare bed, but I haven't gotten around to it. Some college friends of mine rented a house and slept 2-3 people per bedroom using hammocks. It saved them a lot of money in rent compared to my apartment, but they were always fighting over bathroom time in the mornings.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Jareth_Atian

Slinging Rocks!

San Jose, CA
Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 9:18am

I don't often sleep in a hammock when at home, but I use a tent-hammock all the time when camping; with a tarp, underquilt and top-quilt, I've stayed toasty warm in well-below-freezing temps. There's some great info on camping-hammock setups at hammockforums.net

If I ever end up having the space available, I'll probably end up setting up a hammock indoors for napping, too.

IP Logged

SoLar
Tiro

!skcoR gnignilS

Canton, MI
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 5:11pm

Tomas wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 4:41pm:
If I were to try and use it long term I would try and tie it so it would have minimal slack to get a more "supportive" hammock.

If I'm not mistaken I don't believe it is ever really recommended to pull a hammock tight for sleeping, or relaxing, in. It's best to let it have plenty of slack. If you want to create a flat surface underneath you, which you probably do, you can sleep in the hammock almost diagonally to the two points the hammock is secured by.  Smiley

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2015 at 11:51am

I sleep in a hammock all the time at home, and I feel that it gives me better recovery after a tough workout. It's also really comfortable.

when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 6:00pm

I think that iif my back was normal I might give it a try. My miserable back is very particular since my army days when I spent too many nights sleeping on the cold ground. Actually I haven't slept in a bed for like thirty years. I am a floor creature. If I don't sleep on something rock hard in a few nights my back starts to give me grief. The house I live in now is built on a cement slab which suits my quirky back the best. Personally I'd be afraid to try sleeping full time in a hammock. For a short nap I think they're wonderful.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:19pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2015 at 7:28pm

SoLar- I didn't know that. Any thoughts on why not to tighten?

IP Logged

SoLar
Tiro

!skcoR gnignilS

Canton, MI
Reply #10 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 9:45am

Tomas, if you tighten the hammock it will constrict around you but that isn't very comfortable and makes it hard to lounge and stretch out comfortably. Also no matter how tight you make it won't create as flat a surface as lying in it diagonally. I believe it just doesn't work out how you would want it too and isn't very comfortable. As long as the hammock is loose, and depending on the width and length, it should be more comfortable to lie in it from slightly to very diagonal.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #11 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 10:55am

Hammocks! Cheesy
slept in hammock at my last vaccations for 6 days.It's nice.The only protection was a sheet (the ones you use at your bed) hanging from a string just above the hammock, this protected me from cold breeze, mosquitoes and bird droppings.

I wanna try sleeping in the wild ,mountain forest, but there are wild animals (possibly boars) and humans (more dangerous) so i'm thinking of doing what this guy did :
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/39585-Sleeping-50-Feet-High-i...

Also, physics say that a tense hanging hammock needs more strong rope.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 2:15pm

that tree hammock guy is NUTS !

Given I piddle a couple times a night these days - just no way in hell I could do that Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 8:56pm

I sleep in a bed at home but my girlfriend and I have gotten a pretty significant amount of use out of the two person ENO hammock I got her last summer. I've set it up on steep hill sides, overlooking a cliff, under a pier on a beach, etc. Super versatile and really comfortable.

There was a kid in my dorm last year who grew up as a missionary kid in the bush in Kenya who got permission from the RD to set up a hammock in his room because he couldn't sleep as well in a bed. He had three set up, two which he popped out the drop ceiling and used structural supports, and one from the bed to the closet.

There's a lot of options. Good luck.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 9:29am

My daughter got an ENO double nest at for Christmas l'll probably have to build a hang in her apartment.
Anyone seen a plan for a study frame.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)