Turkey prep (Read 1569 times)
Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Turkey prep
Nov 25th, 2015 at 8:37am

Thanksgiving approaches .. Smiley..
I'm deep frying a turkey and it is time to begin the prep ...
Dust off and ignite the propane stove burner to make certain it works.
The bird is nearly thawed out and it is nearly time to brine the bird .. Cool..
Anyone got a good simple brine recipe?

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Turkey prep
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 4:13pm

I tend to dry brine my meat. If it were me, I'd rub the thawed bird with 1/3 cup course ground salt per 10 pounds of meat (inside too) and then let it sit for an hour per pound of meat.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 6:03pm

When dry bribing do you rinse it off before frying

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 7:06pm

No, you should not rinse off the brine before cooking. You'll undo most of the benefits of preseasoning the turkey if you do.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 6:47am

If roasting rinse off and pat dry.

deep frying - you want the bird as dry as possible I would think, water and hot oil is not a good combination.

I'd most likely just wipe the excess rub off - after all it's mostly salt.

never fried a turkey but I have dry cured an awful lot of meat, ham and bacon  over the years Smiley

Also use it as an opportunity to get some extra flavour into the bird - so rather than just salt. Mix in some sugar, herbs and spices as well.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 6:01pm

I ended up wet brinning about 20 hours ... Salt.. Brown sugar .. a couple jars of pickling spice* .. zest  of lemon and  zest of a couple oranges.... Well drained and flavor injected.. Buttery Cajun  .... once oil was hot took about 80 minutes cook time ...I'll try dry brine next time
PS it's tasty

* McCormick Mixed Pickling Spice

Cinnamon, Allspice, Mustard Seed, Coriander, Bay Leaves, Ginger, Chilies, Cloves, Black Pepper, Mace, Cardamom, And Sulfiting Agents.

Bird was 20+ Lbs. and too large for my pot very little free space tween top of oil and lip of pot .... way dangerous .. a little oil was splashing over and running down the side of the pot .. big fire hazard .. every time I moved the bird to check temps. the gas was shut off .. pot was in the middle of my back yard nowhere near any structures. Still .... I think next time I'll scale down to a 12 - 15 Lb bird that shouldn't take as much oil ...(4 Gallons)  and be much less fire hazard.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2015 at 11:13pm by Steven »  

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 6:46pm

Cajun injector. 

Big damn stock needle with your choice of whatever you plan to inject in the breast and thighs.  Not much point in injecting dark meat.

You can inject whatever you marinade the meat in, except cut way back on the salt.  And run it through a blender so you don't clog the needle.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 12:00am

I'm a minimalist when it comes to most meat. No herbs and spices, just meat and salt. I find that most good cuts of meat don't need any added flavors. That said, I do inject meats with a wet brine before smoking because of how drying it is to cook low and slow. A dry brined turkey, though; that's allowed to sit uncovered for many hours before frying turns out amazing without needing any other help. And if it's a wild turkey, it turns out even better. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a dry brine, Steven.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 1:35pm

One more onerous turkey duty to mess with....
Turkey soup with egg noodles.   .
One of my favorite leftovers

Made noodles last night.  Boiled the carcass all morning
for the broth.  Saute   Carrots, Celery till caramelized
into the pot. Pull the turkey and shred  add noodle and
Shredded meat... Tadah  soup

It's tasty if I say so myself...  mmmmm.. good.

Boiled bones do make the best broth

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 2:28pm

My favorite way to use leftover turkey is King Ranch Turkey Casserole. Dice an onion, mix it with a can of rotel tomatoes and green chiles, a can of cream of chicken soup, a can cream of mushroom, and a can cream of celery. Layer corn tortillas, pieces of turkey, soup base, and mild cheddar cheese in a greased baking dish, and bake at 350° F until the cheese is melted and the sides are bubbling.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 10:21am

mmm homemade turkey broth is excellent. I made mine the day after. I'm really conflicted about using the crock pot. On the one hand it's really convenient to leave the bones in water overnight and have stock in the morning. On the other hand waking to the smell of turkey stock everywhere is not my favorite...

Last night we made Turkey Tortilla soup with some of the stock, a tradition on my wife's side.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Rat Man)