Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Slinging and the Magnus effect (Read 14043 times)
Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Re: Slinging and the Magnus effect
Reply #30 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:52am

If you want to talk sport science, there is a reason the fastest pitchers in baseball pitch overhand, not sidearm. While a few side-armers have reached 100mph, they don't last long. Quarterbacks also throw overhand, javelins the same as well.

That is a video I did comparing an overhand fig-8 to an overhand throw. Its basically the same motion.

Also, one of the drawback of Balearic when going for distance is that as you increase your release angle up toward 45, instead of the competition oriented flat release, you compromise your power.

Not so with fig-8.

The Balearic style is a direct result of a 20m competition.
Google Assyrian Slingers, they are very clearly slinging overhand, because Balearic also doesn't work in a tight military formation, slinging down from a parapet...or up at one either.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #31 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:50am

we are off topic now....

@Mark-Harrop Yes you are right. I too have concluded to fig 8 pitching style.But ocasionaly do others to relax and warm up.

About the video the last throws seem to have very good form but the first throws and the pitch probably were very stressfull on the arm (bad form). You rotate your torso before your arm reaches correct position scap load . According to this guy ( http://www.yougoprobaseball.com/pitching.html ) its harmfull. At the last throws you seem to fix the problem. Wink

Also every man is different, a good style is the one you can do repeatedly the same way(accuracy & consistency) without hurting your body.

Who would want to reach 600m with one throw and never sling again? 

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #32 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:29am

Now now Mr. Harrop, you seem to be forgetting something. I did not mention baseball to argue overhand was less effective than sidearm. I mentioned baseball to support my thesis that the lower body is key to power. And let me tell you that Balearic sidearm is miles different than baseball sidearm which you are using to refute my claim.

Let's not forget that we are using a sling here with a stone in it.

Balearic sidearm is not specifically sidearm. It is Balearic sidearm which entails a different range of motion in perfect sync with the lower body to produce extreme power.

See Balearic sidearm is really a combination of overhand AND sidearm motion together in conjunction with the lower body. This is the secret to Balearic sidearm's power. It is also MUCH more ergonomically efficient than Figure 8. I suspect that's why you're elbow is giving you problems as you yourself admit Mr. Harrop.

As Parmenion says, "a good style is the one you can do repeatedly the same way(accuracy & consistency) without hurting your body."

See in Figure 8 style all the pressure is exerted on the elbow in a hinge action as you throw. In Balearic sidearm it is a fluid motion where every muscle and tendon is in harmony. Balearic is equal to the power of the whole body while Figure 8 is limited to the strength of the elbow even if the lower body is effectively used.

The Balearic throw also starts from behind, comes over the head and finishes in a side/ overhead combination. Because the throw starts from behind there is maximum time for the lower body to be fully utilized and is not limited by a hinging elbow as in Figure 8. This is equal to the "work" part of the physics power equation.

Also you are right, Figure 8 is better in line formation because it requires less space and it works better if you are throwing down from a castle as you say. So go ahead and have fun in your castle with all your lines of slinging friends that I guess hang out in castles with you? lol.

Mark-Harrop wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:52am:
The Balearic style is a direct result of a 20m competition.
Google Assyrian Slingers, they are very clearly slinging overhand, because Balearic also doesn't work throwing up at one either.

The fact that you think the Balearic style came from a 20m competition is shocking. It's been used for combat and hunting for thousands of years and you think its origins are for a 20m competition...

The fact that you think Balearic style cannot "throw upwards" at a target is also shocking. You just change the angle of rotation. You CLEARLY don't have a clue and should do more research before continuing to comment about the Balearic form..

I too enjoy a healthy debate Mark and I'll be honest you made me scratch my head for a second, but just a second Wink

I'm standing firm that Balearic is more powerful and through my research AND personal experience I know it's also safer on the body than the power limiting hinging elbow of Figure 8 style.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:40pm by HuntsmanSling »  

Figure8BadForm.jpg (43 KB | 101 )
Figure8BadForm.jpg

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #33 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 4:50pm

I will also be off topic, but when I needed to sling at some pesky Roman trying to invade us mighty Gauls from behind our wall, I slung apache style, even quicker than fig 8 and you need less clearance (is that the right word to use here ? ) before you shoot.

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #34 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:42pm

I can basically sling with some competence, but I have much problem with "chasing the slack", so that my shots are really not quite as powerful as I'd like. I can see the point about the Balearic sidearm, but I find it hard to be accurate with it. I shoot helo+ overarm, but if the vectors aren;t just right, the shot is slack.

I like Huntsman's vid of himself shooting Balearic sidearm, in that he looks exactly like some of the Balearic guys.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #35 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 5:28am

@huntsman im trying to understand why balearic is better than fig 8. But I see they are the same on the shoulder joint.balearic is more like helicopter style but with canted torso toward the throwing side. The only style with allmost zero stress(rotational) on shoulder is Timpa style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnDsffy6G2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwxuwGDyVGs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtZakKT5FE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7aAz9Y2fbg
these vids show that at the throw the mechanics of balearic style are no better than those of fig-8 or pitching.
Please explain what i can't see.
also some pistures of the vids

slinger1.jpg (448 KB | 96 )
slinger1.jpg

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #36 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 5:29am

And

slinger2.jpg (191 KB | 111 )
slinger2.jpg

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #37 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 6:10am

Alright gents, I have to say none of this relates to the magnus effect.

I met a guy through work last year who was actually invovled in university research of throwing styles and their mechanics. He said that yes, an overhand Style of throw is harder on the elbow not because of the angle when its loaded like you guys have pointed out in the pictures but rather because of the deceleration phase. Once you release, your arm continues into the follow through to slow down. With an overhead Style, the elbow and shoulder muscles(rotator cuff and forarm extensors) engage to stabilise and slow your arm's path. With and underhand throw such as softball(not necessarily the same motion as balearic) the elbow is swung at the hip joint and stabilized by snapping up against you side. So, underhand is the most ergonomic... I even asked him why they only have the pitcher in softball use underhand while everybody else on the field throws overhand. He replied if the pitcher threw overha d they would tire out too quick. Softball pitchers often pitch multiple games in a row and have less injuries than baseball pitchers.

For myself, I find fig8 very easy to apply proper mechanics to so I promote it. I also will say I've been working on my underhand but since I got used to slinging balearic Style I often find my underhand turns into a balearic... Muscle memory no doubt.
Personally, I find balearic harder on my forearm than fig 8 but that's my own experience.
Finally, in regards to the magnus effect! I get more spin from using balearic Style. So much spin that if I use trapezoid shaped rocks I can make them corkscrew through the air and almost around corners!
I would say, if ergonomics matters to the reader, do whichever motion you can do cleanest and work on conditioning your deceleration muscles.  Most throwing injuries happen in the deceleration phase cause we are muscularly imbalanced.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #38 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 7:43am

We can argue this all day....

The proof lies in distance and speed.

HuntsmanSling, you have devoted a lot of time to the Balearic style and traditional sling making. I understand your attachment to it and passion for it.
In your (only) video, you claim 70m at 190kph.

I get about 2 seconds of flight time (I'm rounding down) so thats about 35m/sec....or about 125 kph or 77mph....give or take.

As far as Balearic style in combat and hunting, I don't buy it. When slinging was used in combat, it was a ranged weapon fired in volleys (like arrows) or in hit and run skirmishing. Anyone who has ever been on any kind of battlefield knows that you want to limit your exposure to enemy fire, so standing still twirling a sling around would probably get you an arrow in the chest. Same thing goes for hunting...you'll just spook the game.
As far as the magnus effect and accuracy, a rifle spin is the way to go. An overhand motion is the best way to achieve this, like with an American football.
...and its not my elbow, its my right shoulder. I'm 50 and have had 2 shoulder surgeries (not slinging related) and arthritis. But I still manage pretty good for an old man with a bad shoulder and unharmonious technique (speeds at end of video)

I suggest if anyone wants to prove their point, they make a video.

Talk is cheap... and we all have smartphones and the internet.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #39 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 12:52pm

Myself, I've always found fig-8 hard on the shoulder and elbow. Wil be curious to see what Mr Jaegoor says, who is also very big on the hip as being the seat of slinging power.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #40 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 4:10pm

Tomas wrote on Feb 13th, 2016 at 6:10am:
I met a guy through work last year who was actually involved in university research of throwing styles and their mechanics. He said that yes, an overhand Style of throw is harder on the elbow not because of the angle when its loaded like you guys have pointed out in the pictures but rather because of the deceleration phase. Once you release, your arm continues into the follow through to slow down. With an overhead Style, the elbow and shoulder muscles(rotator cuff and forarm extensors) engage to stabilise and slow your arm's path. With and underhand throw such as softball(not necessarily the same motion as balearic) the elbow is swung at the hip joint and stabilized by snapping up against you side. So, underhand is the most ergonomic... I even asked him why they only have the pitcher in softball use underhand while everybody else on the field throws overhand. He replied if the pitcher threw overhand they would tire out too quick. Softball pitchers often pitch multiple games in a row and have less injuries than baseball pitchers.Most throwing injuries happen in the deceleration phase cause we are muscularly imbalanced.

In overhand, as in Figure 8 style, the arm is working against gravity to come up and over all the while pulling up a weighty stone against gravity. This fight against gravity occurs with a bent elbow and thus results in greater pressures on the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This pulling up against gravity to bring the stone up and over the back and down again is where the strain on the elbow and shoulder occur. Simultaneously this also results in decreased speed and a loss of power.

In Balearic form the arm does become bent but at that point the twist of the lower body is doing most of the load bearing work as it comes full circle in a more horizontal path rather than in a vertical path against gravity as in Figure 8 style. This is why Balearic shooting style is not only ergonomically most efficient but yields the greatest power most efficiently as a direct result.

I think this also answers your question Parmenion.

Mark-Harrop wrote on Feb 13th, 2016 at 7:43am:
We can argue this all day....

The proof lies in distance and speed.

HuntsmanSling,
In your (only) video, you claim 70m at 190kph.

I get about 2 seconds of flight time (I'm rounding down) so thats about 35m/sec....or about 125 kph or 77mph....give or take.

Talk is cheap... and we all have smartphones and the internet.

Here is a video of Luis Livermore, a Balearic slinging champion with international fame, who also "claims" to be throwing at 190 kph, yet he is using 200-250 gram stones, over a half pound. Simply amazing. He slings at 1:00 minute into the video. Considering that you can only throw 125 kph Mr. Harrop you might want to pay attention.

I have found another video clip of Luis Livermore launching stones out hundreds of meters into the ocean if you need to see that as well.

And my 70 meter throws in my personal video are not my maximum distance with a Balearic sling. Those throws are my maximum distance with THAT particular sling which is only 25ish inches in length. & if I angle up I can get another 20 meters on my throws but I sacrifice power which was the point of the video.

Everyone knows the longer the sling the longer range you have. With a 30 inch Balearic my range increases drastically, up to 180 meters and I drop my stone weight down to about 100 grams.

As far as Balearic style in combat and hunting, I don't buy it. When slinging was used in combat, it was a ranged weapon fired in volleys (like arrows) or in hit and run skirmishing. Anyone who has ever been on any kind of battlefield knows that you want to limit your exposure to enemy fire, so standing still twirling a sling around would probably get you an arrow in the chest.

Ever hear of bravery? The Balearic slingers have a rich history of being drafted as skirmishers by both the Iberian Carthaginians and later the Romans. It's documented.

The below Balearic Island documentary & written citations of classical accounts from classical historians, including modern day historical Balearic Island archaeologists, all support my claims regarding the existence of Balearic slingers in combat AND the Balearic style's ridiculous range/power. They used a short sling for close combat, medium for medium, and a long sling for distance attacks, all using the Balearic form.

Since you once again refuse to do your own research on the Balearics, Mr. Harrop, (why don't you use your smart phone? lol)

Here is a historical account from 123 BC regarding the Roman conquest of the Balearic Islands by the Roman Gerneral named Quintus Caecilius Metellus and their fight against the defending Balearic slingers.

It's a translated documentary supported by Balearic Island archaeologists and credited historians on the subject.

Skip through the beginning of the video. The two key parts are from 7:17-11:41 & from 11:42-12:41 where it describes the Romans failing in their first invasion due to the Balearic slingers raining shots down on Roman landing craft, killing the men aboard and even sinking the ships themselves before reaching shore. These are shots up to 300+ meters. They used close range shots as well as the invasion fleet got closer to landing which is also documented.

Here is another nice summary of classical historians Strabo and Pliny describing the Balearic slingers as military combatants LONG before any silly 20m competition that you incorrectly believe is the origin of Balearic shooting style Mr. Harrop.

"We know from classical authors that the Balearic Slingers were much admired for their skills in the use of the sling and their bravery (Pliny3, 5, 76) and, according to Strabo (III, 1-2), the Balearic Slinger was the best among all other slingers and far superior to the men from Egio, Patras and Dimo.

One disadvantage that the sling had as a weapon was that the slinger required many years of training and experience, more so even than that of an archer. For this reason, the use of the sling as a weapon was restricted to those ethnic societies that were specialized in its use (i.e. the Balearics, the Rhodes etc.) who, in turn, were hired as mercenaries.

Continuing with the peculiar aspects of slingers, Strabo paints a very clear description of a slinger in battle. He mentions that they went into battle without body armour carrying their goatskin shield  in one hand and a fire- hardened javelin in the other, and sometimes they also used a spear with a small metal point."
(Ethan Leuchter)

I hope this sheds some light on the power, range, and speed of the Balearic slingers. I hope it also puts to rest any notion that the Balearic style originated from some 20m shooting spectacle of modern times. At this point, if anyone denies the documented rich history of Balearic slinger's being used in combat then you are simply in denial of the TRUTH. Wink

As far as the magnus effect and accuracy, a rifle spin is the way to go. An overhand motion is the best way to achieve this, like with an American football.

I have proven it with a video and videos of other Balearic slingers who are professionals. Why don't you show us a video where you aren't slinging a dog toy in a 20 ft apartment... Roll Eyes

And saying that the spiral on an American football proves that overhand is better for the Magnus effect, lol! Have you even thrown a football before? it has laces so the hand can deliver the spin on the ball with the follow through, and again, an overhand throw with a football is miles different than a sling with a stone in it. Stop comparing completely different things to try to squeeze some sense into your dis-proven theories regarding figure 8...I'm not denying figure 8 has ballistic spin, just not near that of Balearic slingers.

If you want to see the amount of spin you get with the Balearic form take a tennis ball. Draw a fat black line around the tennis ball. Throw the sucker and you can see the ballistic spin.

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2016 at 4:00am by HuntsmanSling »  

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #41 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 11:52pm

I would add that one problem I have, and I've seen, with helo+overhand is that upon release, the body tends to rise (by 5-10 cm). I used to think that this was smoothness of action. but having watched vids, I am starting to think that it's wasted energy and slackness.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #42 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 12:55am

Thearos wrote on Feb 13th, 2016 at 11:52pm:
I would add that one problem I have, and I've seen, with helo+overhand is that upon release, the body tends to rise (by 5-10 cm). I used to think that this was smoothness of action. but having watched vids, I am starting to think that it's wasted energy and slackness.

Indeed. I completely respect the Figure 8 style in its own right but it's like using a .38 special vs a .44 mag when compared to the Balearic style.

&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #43 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 2:32pm

Wow HuntsmanSling...

Clearly, you should be able to set the world distance record with your .44 Balearic magnum. I'll wait for the video.

I'm glad you acknowledged that as your angle of release goes up, your power goes down. Maybe we are making progress here.

Here's another one for you. Make a lead glande and use your Balearic split pouch to launch it. There was a reason lead glandes were used. They are far superior to rocks and represent the apex of slinging technology.

As far as American footballs, I can throw a spiral without using the laces. A sling is simply an extension of your arm. There is no magical power that stems from the Balearic Islands. As far as the "style" they used in combat, your opinion is conjecture. There are no detailed accounts.

I've also seen all of Luis videos. He's a big young guy, in great shape, and a professional slinger. I've also seen just about every Balearic competition video. Luis is the exception rather than the rule, and "Balearic style" seems to be interpreted differently by the Balearics themselves.

Maybe you should go give Larry Bray a class on the most powerful slinging technique, because his Byzantine (or whatever you want to call it) still has the record.

I never said fig-8 was the most powerful. You said Balearic was....and then went on to make some other metaphysical claims. The onus is on you to prove it. Using a 50 y.o man with a bad shoulder as the poster boy for ineffective fig-8 technique...and comparing me to Luis is silly. Try Brian Grubs...

..and slinging dog toys in a 20 ft apartment is about all I can manage right now. Thats how I practice. I live in a city in the middle of the the desert, and slinging space/rocks are hard to come by. Sorry you don't like my videos. I'll try to do better.  Cry

Making videos is a lot of work. I've made a bunch. I try to give back to the community. Here's a fun one...

Somehow, I get the feeling that if you were selling Roman slings, they would be the best and Roman slingers would be without equal.

Lets see what you've got. Put your money, and your product where your mouth is.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #44 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 3:18pm

I think that the debate that is happening here is not being viewed in the right way, through personal experience figure-eight works best with lighter slings and ammo, whereas balearic-sidearm is much more heavy ammo and slings. thus they both have they're place in the use of slinging, whether one is better than the other is for each person to decide what works best for them. Sure some parts of figure-eight are better for range and certain parts of balearic-sidearm are better for power, but what does it matter if one way works better for you use it. Just my 2 cents Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick)