Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Slinging and the Magnus effect (Read 14007 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Slinging and the Magnus effect
Reply #15 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 6:44am

oh yeah - clockwise Smiley

You can adjust be moving your hand just before release. hard to explain but I can definitely get an anti clockwise and left hand curve spin.

You release with a sort of left side downward slash.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #16 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 4:35pm

the topic about the most "grippy" pouch reminded me about this topic and that if you have a more "grippy" pouch you will get more curve. So on the flip-side if you want to have no curve or as little as possible make sure your pouch has the least amount of friction/grip with your ammo and you should remove a lot of curve. Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2015 at 5:55pm

In my view, Larry Bray throws the backspin up, in this CA film, in time 10:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBKje_xJPU8

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:28am

Exactly, Parmenion. Achieving a nearly perfect back or frontspin may seem difficult at first. The beauty of  if is that once you do it a few times it's much like riding a bicycle. You will quickly find yourself doing it with no thought or  effort at all. It's just a matter of getting that initial feel for it. The payoff is watching your golf balls fly over the hills and far away, as if they had wings. As for front  spin, it gives your projectiles a very sharp, ground hugging, line  drive type shot that bounces forward and continues to hug the ground. I imagine such a shot would be very useful for  hunting.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #19 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 4:24am

Yes, people who play airsoft , will have a good visual on the magnus effect Cheesy
Permeniontotally nailed it. I would like to add some pictures,but remember these were clay eggs filled with tracer comp. So as the composition was burning away it changed the balance point of the projectiles, sometimes dramatically affecting it's ballistic plane.
One interesting thing, that i still don't fully get is how one of the pictures, the release angle was tilted, so the whole ballistic path is tilted, and not in a vertical plane. Only thing i can think of is gyro stabilization fighting gravity, but still doesn't sound right..

tracer.jpg (45 KB | 91 )
tracer.jpg

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #20 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 4:27am

wanky ballistics (tracer burning away,changing center of gravity)

tracer_2.jpg (55 KB | 105 )
tracer_2.jpg

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 4:28am

Tilted ballistic path according to release angle  Huh

tracer_3.jpg (37 KB | 111 )
tracer_3.jpg

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 4:38am

Seeing the last picture, you can imagine how much lateral drift that means to the right. Probably around 15m or 45 feet,at ~150m (450 feet) range. Compared to a vertical drop,that is.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #23 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 2:32pm

I've noticed this in thebpast as an impediment to my own accuracy at times. Sometimes I know I release with less than perpendicular spin and it's clear that it affects both the flight path and the trajectory since your losing energy  to lateral drift.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #24 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 11:53am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3jnOIJg4k you probably have seen this video.
This doesn't talk about magnus force but a similar force caused by rough and smooth sides of a ball .Pretty similar to magnus force. Laminar flow and turbulent flow is what changes the direction of the ball in both cases.  Wink

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #25 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 7:27pm

vetryan15 wrote on Nov 25th, 2015 at 10:15pm:
I am not knowledgeable on physics and of the sort. But what exactly is the technique on how to put a backspin on a sling throw?
Ryan

For backspin and thus accuracy do this:

With your last rotation speed up your rotation to keep up with your hip rotation as you step. Your step and hips should lead all your throws and your arm will follow naturally. See, the twist of your hips leads to a twist of the stone, AKA "backspin."

This also yields maximum power and zero injury because it utilizes the leg and back, assuming you warm up with arm rotations/ stretches and such. I personally believe this is a forgotten technique that was once passed down from father to son back in the day because I've discovered it after 100,000+ stone throws over the years and it absolutely works so damn well. Smiley

This will drastically help you, I guarantee it. It will make you a powerful and straight shooter.

I admit, this technique primarily pertains to 10-40 yard throws, but also yields to more accuracy AND distance with lobs as well. Also for those of you wondering, for 10-40 yard throws I used a 25.5 inch Balearic split pouch sling. I've used the same exact sling for years and have built a relationship with it, as you should, with your sling.

Hope you try this technique because I know it will help.

(also I suggest utilizing this technique assuming you are using Balearic sidearm which is my preference) IMO other forms are under-powered because they simply cannot utilize the lower body as effectively and thus ARE silly because we are using a weapon after all and it should be used as such. I mean don't you want to use the most powerful form??? Wink

Cheers

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #26 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 2:03am

Balearic the most powerful?

Grin Grin Grin Grin

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #27 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 2:50pm

You cannot use the lower body as well with other slinging forms and this is where the Balearic form exceeds other slinging forms in power.

The lower body and back is where the real power is. Anyone who knows anything about sports science knows this to be a fact. Ask any quarterback, pitcher, javelin thrower etc.

I suspect your laughter is a result of your inability to master Balearic form Mr. Mark-Harrop. Ask yourself, why do the Balearics most frequently use the biggest ammo of all other throwing styles? The answer is they have the power to utilize heavy stones because the Balearic form utilizes the lower body BEST.

So instead of tapping a bunch of laughing smiley faces as your defense (like some adolescent teenage girl I might add), why don't you show me a video proving your point or try to express your opinion in some sort of educated manner...  Roll Eyes

Good luck.

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #28 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:07pm

@Huntsman. Thanks for the information
Ryan

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #29 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:59am

Lets see some speed measurements...

Or some distance shots.

We can settle this like men.

Well, and old one with a bad shoulder and a young one with a bad attitude.

Wink

Really bro, a little rivalry is a good thing, don't take it so personal.

Speed and distance are a good measure of power, lets see what you've got.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Chris)