Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diy vaccum jig (Read 1803 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Diy vaccum jig
Nov 23rd, 2015 at 8:51pm

Hey y'all, ol' Tommy boy has another query!
I've had some experience vacuum molding plastics and am looking to try leather molding. I'm going to make a vacuum jig to do this instead of molding by hand but I am still in the research stage.
Have any of you tried vacuum forming with leather before? Or even better, made your own gear for it?
I imagine leather probably is easier to do the actual molding than plastic but probably not as clean detail... Right? Lol thanks ahead of time!

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: Diy vaccum jig
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2015 at 6:21pm

I have thought about doing vacuum forming of plastics like kydex for sheaths and tool holders.  I have seen neat setups that used large air tanks and small vacuum pumps to draw a vacuum in the tank to hold until you are ready to form. Dump a quick valve and it pulls the sheet over the buck in one quick blast.  Seemed way more effective in pulling stubborn shapes that may not otherwise make a fast seal.  I know nothing about using leather and how techniques would need to change to accommodate for it's specific attributes.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 12:09am

I'll have to check into whatever system you're talking about Arcane. I have found a few online that use a shop vac but I don't know if that would be powerful enough for veg tan leather.
I think I can make a vacuum box for under $30 minus the vacuum so I'm gonna try it.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 4:39pm

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 10:28am

I've seen guys in the cosplay world do some vaccuum forming just using a shopvac and a pegboard as the main components. Heat up the sheet of plastic in the oven, place the positive molds on the pegboard, and voila.

I'm sure it's slightly more complicated than that but you should be able to cobble a low cost version together. Take a look at guys who make their own storm trooper armor. You might find some good mockups looking down that way.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 7:57pm

Ongoing right now. Arcane, that is an interesting set up and a great suggestion.
I've worked with what you're describing PerpetualStudent and it does work pretty well for plastics.
I'm thinking I'm going to buy a cover sheet for it kind of like in the video. That way seems to use less material per job although I bet they're expensive to buy at first... Or at least I think so.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2015 at 9:13pm

Probably just sheet rubber from mcmaster carr

Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 11:01am

so how d you treat the leather so it sets ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 11:35am

Honestly, I just soak the leather to make it maleable and let it dry. It dries quite stiff but that's how it holds the shape.
I must also mention it doesn't work with all leathers. Veg tan works really well but soft leathers and oiled leathers don't work very well.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 6:41pm

So far it's looking like my sucking machine options are a slightly modified air compressor or a shop vac. I plan on buying one used too.
I imagine the air compressor would be more powerful so I might go for that

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 7:02pm

Have you looked around craigslist for a used vacuum pump for hvac/refrigeration service?  I see them go for $50-75 pretty often.  They pull down to levels that a shop vac and piston air compressor could never dream of touching.

Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2015 at 5:59am

I haven't but I will be looking at those too now. I'm going to try and finish it by the end of this week.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)