Send Topic Print
Cornwall Calling (Read 1463 times)
Playonwords
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Cornwall Calling
Oct 11th, 2015 at 6:07am

Just to say "Hi"

Found slinging.Org because I was interested in the impact (kinetic energy) of various thrown and shot weapons and slingers seem to be actually aware of this.

Archers tend to talk about draw weight of their chosen weapon, ignoring the fact that draw weight only tells you how much force is needed to hold the bow at full draw! Without knowing the mass and recovery time of the arms of the bow and string, the mass of the arrow and the departure velocity draw weight is meaningless.

The only figure for kinetic energy for an atl-atl I could find gave the ridiculous figure of 61 ft lbs derived from a very low figure for release speed and a total cock-up in the simple 1/2 mass times velocity squared calculation. Even using the supplied figures at this site gave a correct calculation produced 88 kg m per sec (636.5 ft lbs).

So, here I am

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Cornwall Calling
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 7:20am

Welcome from N.S!
There are a lot of math related threads on here I'm sure you'll find a lot you like:)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 7:02am

also a few little programs around.
Matthias wrote a couple of useful little bits of software. You might need an oldish pc to run the though.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 9:36pm

One of the moderators (I can't spell his handle but it starts with Masi) is an engineer of some sort; Wanderer also is a boffin; and the regretted Aussie, now departed, was also fascinated by the maths and physics of "stone age ballistics"

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2015 at 11:16am

If wanderer is also a boffin then I guess that makes me the first boffin on the list. (I gladly accept the title.) You're in the right place, Playonwords, if you like running the numbers on traditional weapons.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 7:03pm

Hello

I can count on my fingers if I have to, but whatever you do, don't make me take off my shoes.   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)