Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Long Sling topic (Read 2566 times)
Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Long Sling topic
Sep 15th, 2015 at 8:56pm

Hi guys, i have just been trying to use my long sling a bit more often recently and i was wondering what little tricks you guys know, after firing for a while on this past Sunday i found that my best shot comes nowhere close to the record, in fact i was barely reaching half the distance. So thoughts? heavy pouch vs light pouch, length for a 6ft person i always wondered how long a long sling should be for a persons specific height, pouch type? Huh

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Dusansky
Tiro

blah, blah, blah...

Slovakia
Re: Long Sling topic
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 7:43am

The longest sling i had tried was approx 4m to the pouch. But it was unshootable. But my longest sling what Im shooting have 1,5m. This sling is made of youcca, light split pouch to 3 strands and covered with leather.

IP Logged

Zamorskym
Tiro

Slinging concrete!

Czech Republic, Mělník county
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 2:21pm

I have similar problem. I am used to slings 75cm long.If using a sling aprox. 1m long, I cannot reach the same distance as with the previous one. I lose around 20%. I sling usually to 200m (+- 30m) with my sling but  I hardly reach 180 with the longer one.
Where do  people like me make the mistake? Is it the air drag (paracord+leather pouch) or the technique or did the better slingers know other physics than me? Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 5:35pm

I'm thinking drag ... minimal diameter cords .... minimal pouch ... + slightly heavier projectile to drag the pouch and cords around.

P.S. record set with very thin, long sling and a lifting body, aerodynamic, dart like projectile.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 8:41pm

I'm guessing you're able to perform better with a short sling amigo. the super long slings are gonna be hard to control but you can get them to sling farther if you spin them faster and transfer that energy into the last spin/throw.
BTW, I've been slinging a lot longer than you and you've got my distances beat! I am being generous when I say I canget 150 meters. I've never measured but I'm pretty sure. I was slinging out into the harbor once and some golfer said it looked like 300 yards distance but I don't think he was a right. Great job man

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 11:12pm

How long is super-long ? I've also used a 4m sling, as has the founder of this site. I think it doesn't generate distance, it allows for the throwing of very heavy ammo to normal distances

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 8:31am

Long slings are best for generating tall tales…   Wink

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 7:06pm

It does depend on what you mean by long-- my Balearic sling reaches from finger to shoulder, which is quite normal for Balearic wovens (see attached pic).

But if you're speaking of say 4m long: mine had a wrist loop rather than finger loop; part of the problem lies with drag, i think-- my long long sling was made of big nylon cord and cloth, and just moving it around required a lot of energy.

IP Logged

Zamorskym
Tiro

Slinging concrete!

Czech Republic, Mělník county
Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 1:03pm

IMO the lenght depends on the dimensions one´s body.
For me a medium sling is something like the distance between a hanging loop finger and tge ground (pocket ligtly touching it). Anything significantly shorter or longer is not medium.
But you may see it in a different way.

I think, that slings longer than cca 1.5m (5ft) are hardly controlable. 4m must be a real beast Grin

What are your oppinions?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Kick)