Send Topic Print
Wild food (Read 15407 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: Wild food
Reply #60 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:18am

It's not poisonous when ripe.  The plant is, but not the fruit. Also, just because it's poisonous to us, does not mean it's that way to animals. Squirrels can eat acorns off the tree when we can't. Also, poison ivy only affect us, not animals. This is why you shouldn't assume if animals can eat something then we can.
  Deer, rabbit, and other herbivores love the mayapple and it's fruit.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #61 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 6:26am

Plantain is high in iron, Vitamins A,K and C. It grows in lawns and fields everywhere. It can be prepared like spinach. I really would cook it as the older leaves are tough.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #62 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 9:09am

Here's another edible plant...  sometimes.  What we call the Inkberry and the South calls Poke Salad is also edible, as long as you choose only the immature plant.  Once it tops about 18" it becomes toxic. It is VERY plentiful around here. Also the berries can be crushed to make a very good natural purple dye.

Inkberries.JPG (50 KB | 27 )
Inkberries.JPG

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #63 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 5:17pm

It's Poke Salat or Sallet, which is a cooked mass of greens.  If they aren't cooked, they are a salad.

To start with, every part of the plant is poisonous but the roods and berries are highly toxic.  And they cannot be made safe to eat.  Nor can any part of the plant be eaten raw.  And the older the plant is, the more toxic it is.

To prepare, and as some people get sick from handling, you may want to wear gloves.  Pick a grocery bag full.  That will make about two servings.  Maybe.  You are going to really cook them down.

Put in a pot and bring to a roiling boil for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on how mature the plant was.  The older the plant, the longer you boil.  Dump the water and rinse with cold water.  Dump the cold water.  Add more water and bring to a roiling boil for the same amount of time.  Dump the water and rinse with cold again.  Dump the rinse.  Bring to a roiling boil again for the same amount of time.  Dump the water and rinse with cold.  Dump the cold.  Now, cook it like collards or spinach, add salt or other spices and fatback or bacon.

My favorite way is after the three boils and rinses is to take the greens and fry them in bacon grease.  Dump them and let the grease drain and add the crumbled up bacon.  And salt and pepper to taste.  And eat.

Poke Salat is in the nightshade family, as is the Irish Potato and the tomato.  It's safe if you prepare it correctly and not very if you don't.  Usually, if you eat some raw leaves, you will get stomach cramps and the runs like you wouldn't believe.  You'll be puking and pooping at the same time.  The berries usually kill any children that eat them.  The roots will kill adults.

The Poke Salat Festival was in May in Arab, Alabama, which is just outside Montgomery.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #64 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 6:10pm

In addition to the plant kingdom, fish and crayfish will round out your diet. All you need are a couple traps that are easy enough to make if you can net or have any manufactured netting.
If you don't know much about crayfish, look them up. Think you will be surprised at how nutritious and plentiful they are. A renewable resource that only has to be boiled once Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #65 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 9:30pm

We had Pokeberry right near my house in Springville , CA. And no I was never hard up enough to bother. Three boils just to eat a plant that may not make you puke your guts up. I will pass. I will give you credit Bill. I never had the courage to try it. Right down the hill was my glorious stash of stinging nettles which were delicious (and safe) raw or cooked. Down the river from that were my cattails and a nice fishing hole for small mouth bass. In the field by my house, Blewits. Life was good.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #66 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 6:19am

Speaking of cattails, they are almost completely edible. If you peel the stalks down to the core, it can be eaten. It tastes just like cucumber. The roots are  full of carbohydrates, and can be cooked like potatos.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #67 - Jun 25th, 2017 at 11:53am

That should be "roots" not "roods".

Better be careful with plantain, it is a pretty good laxative for a lot of people.

It does have very good antiseptic qualities, crush or chew it into a paste and put it on a wound to prevent or fight infection.

Stuff like poke Salat, you have to wonder who was desperate enough for food to figure out a way to prepare it.

This is no longer a wild food but the leaves of the sweet potato are edible when cooked and taste like spinach.  Younger, tender leaves taste better but all of them can be eaten when cooked.  Boil them after washing with just a little sea salt and eat with rice.  And shrimp or crayfish.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #68 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 5:04pm

There is quite a bit of wildlife floating around of that I have never heard of before and would also have never thought about eating it... I might give cattail a go.

I used to go after walnuts and hazelnuts. When I came across them I also enjoyed the seed of the common beech. However, the birds and squirrels were usually faster than me. And while googling its english name I just learned that it is slightly poisonous.

I also enjoyed all the different kind of berries: elderberry, forest strawberries, raspberry, blackberry, european blueberry, barberry, common sea buckthorn.

For greens I recommend the common daisy, especially the buds and petals.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #69 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:15pm

Thanks for enlightening us, Bill. I stand corrected. I grew up believing that the Inkberry bush or Poke Salat was always completely poisonous. Only a few years ago did I learn that it could be edible. My old prejudices rule here... I have never felt any desire to eat this plant. Things would have to be pretty bad before I resorted to it, but still this is good info for just such an emergency.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #70 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:21pm

This is one of the many plants I've always eaten but don't know the name of. We only ever ate the seed tops, which have a peppery, sweet taste. In an emergency it could be used as a pepper substitute. It is VERY common around here.  Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Edit: I'm using my phone now. I'll shrink this picture when I'm back on my computer later.

20170628_191635.jpg (6785 KB | 23 )
20170628_191635.jpg

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #71 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 6:26am

Capsella, or poor man's pepper. Good for when you forget pepper when camping.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #72 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 11:45am

Thats a new one for me. There are mushrooms that taste like pepper and garlic but Ive never seen that particular plant. Is anyone else sort of fascinated by the idea of trying "new" fruits and vegatables that have tastes completely unlike any fruits/veggies that we are used to in the western world? There are a few tv shows Ive seen that will talk about various fruits that are almost unknown here and I would love to try them. The names escape me at the moment though.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #73 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 1:17pm

If you are not allergic to peanuts, try the ground nut, Apios Americanos (sp?), also called Indian potatoes.  They taste sort of like peanuts but with a texture more like a slightly under cooked turnip. 

They have a rough surface, scrub them with a brush to get all the dirt off.

Sometimes called hopnis.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #74 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 7:24pm

Morphy;
When I was stationed in Korea there was a fruit there they called the Korean Pear. I believe it's more commonly known as the Asian pear. It's a very big fruit about the size of a grapefruit. It's crunchy, juicy, and has a taste something like a cross between an apple and a pear. Wonderful! I hated leaving them behind. Korea's climate is similar to ours here in New Jersey so I'm pretty sure they could be grown here. I should have smuggled some seeds out.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrus_pyrifolia#/media/File%3ANashi_pear.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)