Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Half Hitch Water Bottle Evaporation Cooler (Read 2018 times)
asemery
Funditor

Half Hitch Water Bottle Evaporation Cooler
Aug 2nd, 2015 at 8:25am

I saw this idea many years ago at a horse/mule drawn plow contest.  The half hitching around the glass protects the bottle from bumps.  When the covering is thoroughly soaked in water evaporation keeps the water inside several degrees cooler than water inside an uncovered bottle.  Tony

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Re: Half Hitch Water Bottle Evaporation Cooler
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 10:08am

Great post. That's is extremely clever. I would be concerned that the fibers would swell, and being that they are interwoven would squeeze and possibly crack the jar, no?

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 1:57pm

How do you start and how do you finish?

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 4:37pm

HuntsmanSling wrote on Aug 2nd, 2015 at 10:08am:
Great post. That's is extremely clever. I would be concerned that the fibers would swell, and being that they are interwoven would squeeze and possibly crack the jar, no?

Thar has never happened. 
Bill Skinner wrote on Aug 2nd, 2015 at 1:57pm:
How do you start and how do you finish?

[Stormdrane has some nice projects in halfhitching and some links.
http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/2009/12/half-hitched-paracord-can-koozie.html
http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/2010/05/half-hitched-paracord-water-bottle.html

"Creative Ropecraft" has a section on half hitching/needle hitching.  Note what he says about aamount of cord required.
http://books.google.com/books?id=QlDj7-OmTGAC&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=half+hitching+...
Pictures here are easy to follow - text is Swedish
http://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2003/09/14/transa-flaskor         Tony

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2015 at 10:51am

Thank you. 

That takes a LOT of cord.  Shocked

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2015 at 2:25pm

I grew up in an era of evaporative cooling. Damp wash cloth in front of an electric fan .. Swamp coolers .. wool covered canteen (damp the wool) .. Crock of water sweating and cooling on the counter .. All work  Cool surprisingly well.

Then we got a window unit that eventually morphed into a central unit and life has never been the same.

Can't believe I left off canvas water bags! Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2015 at 1:04am by Steven »  

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2015 at 2:39pm

My wife grew up out west where swamp coolers exist- I was raised on the east coast where the heat is humid and swamp coolers aren't used.

I have heard that putting a water bottle in a wet sock and whirling it around your head will do a superb job of cooling it down though.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 3:19pm

Steven wrote on Aug 3rd, 2015 at 2:25pm:
I grew up in an era of evaporative cooling. Damp wash cloth in front of an electric fan .. Swamp coolers .. wool covered canteen (damp the wool) .. Crock of water sweating and cooling on the counter .. All work  Cool surprisingly well.

Then we got a window unit that eventually morphed into a central unit and life has never been the same.

Can't believe I left off canvas water bags! Embarrassed

My central air went out for 38 days between June and July this summer. The maintenance techs who tried to install a new outside unit discovered that may apartment was miswired. They had to redo all of my electric wiring (and some of my plumbing) in order to safely finish the A/C installation. I became very familiar with evaporative cooling. Cool rag on the forehead, pan of water by the bed (for my feet), electric fan blowing over a pan of water (powered by an extension cord snaking out of my window), etc. I was very surprised by how livable my apartment was, even in triple digit temps.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)