Send Topic Print
Tornado (Read 2805 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Tornado
Jul 1st, 2015 at 2:02pm

Hey, Guys!  One week ago today we got slammed by a tornado here in the Delaware Valley.  My small town was hit pretty hard.  Luckily there were no deaths around here.  No one in my neighborhood was injured.  My house was pretty much spared, with just a couple of pieces of siding pulled away.  The shed was unharmed.  My big trees in the back took a terrible beating.  3/4 of my big, beautiful Swamp Maple was obliterated when the top half of a giant pine tree broke off and came crashing down on it, propelled by super high winds from about fifty feet above.  The ensuing wood avalanche took out a couple more healthy trees before the whole mess came down on my back chain link fence.  I'm just about to go back there now and cut more trees out of the disaster.  My poor Husky pups, Pandora and Magni, are going mad without their yard.  Hopefully today I can get enough debris out of the way to put up some temporary fencing to keep them in until I can get the chain link repaired. 
    I just took Pandora to the local dog park.  Same deal; big trees down everywhere.  We were without power for four days.  Many are still out.  A wide area was effected. Initially a half a million were without power.  It could have been worse but loosing most of that giant, beautiful Swamp Maple is a shame.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Tornado
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:21am

We had a tree apocalypse here several years ago with a hurricane too. A lot of people were selling the lumber and general leaf clean up was insane. Here an image of a park by the shore after the event.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 8:22am

Ratman, hope your clean up goes well and smoothly

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 3:37pm

I got the temporary fence up so the pups could run free for the first time in a week.  I couldn't take them to the off leash dog park because Pandora is in her first heat and she has terrible social skills besides. I have to stand guard over the temporary fence the whole time because they can easily slip underneath.  Tomas, you couldn't give firewood away around here.  There are tons of it everywhere. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the fence.  I might put in a claim on my homeowner's insurance.  I never fixed chain link before and I'm not sure how difficult it is.  I took a video of the mess.  I'll try to get it posted here soon.  Let's try this:
https://www.facebook.com/roochiePoochiePoo/videos/vb.1181860730/1020692841830724...

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 3:39pm

The link worked for me.  Let me know if you have any trouble.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 8:23pm

It worked.

Glad to see that you made it through with just some property damage.  That mass could have came down on your house and that would have been real bad.

I've never worked with chain link either, I have worked with net wire, so maybe this will help.

Set your posts first if you have to put them in concrete, use a tight line to get them straight in line.  If you are going to drive them in, you will need to tighten up the wire, first.  You will need a come along or a winch to re stretch the fence.  Put two boards on the fence, one on each side of the wire with at least three bolts, and attach the cable to to retighten the wire to the wood.  Thread the pipe at top on before you tighten up the fence.

I'm glad to see that you and yours made it through OK.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 4:47am

Hey Ratman
Glad you and your pack are all safe. Never been in a tornado thank God just a couple of hurricanes.😄
Stay Safe
Bigkahuna

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 12:31am

wow that's big damage to your fence. I'm glad nobody got hurt your fence got pwned. So you have to watch your dogs so they don't skip out on you, o well you have gorgeous dogs. I added ya on FB Rat Man Wink

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:18pm

That tornado touched down in swedesboro. Nj.  20 mins from me. We lost power for 5days. On the road  where my gf lives. A oil truck  slide and took out 7 telephone poles. Looked like apocalyptic movie.
Ryan

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 6:53pm

The Swamp Maple that got mostly destroyed saved my neighbors shed.  Thanks for the advice, Bill. bk, though New Jersey doesn't normally get tornadoes I've been in three here.  One was a really big beast that hit my home town of Pine Hill in the sixties.  Luckily it didn't touch down in a populated area.  It skimmed over our house destroying many big trees.  You could see where it cut a channel through the treetops in the woods but didn't quite reach the ground. Another was a mini twister that hit the nearby  town of Blackwood when I lived there. That was in the nineties I believe.  What made that one memorable for me was that it passed directly over my property and I was able to look right up into the funnel. That's quite a sight!  Quite a large area was effected.  A lot of eastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey got slammed.  Three is plenty.  I don't need to be in any more tornadoes, thank you.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 4:16pm

I finally got all of the brush out of the  fenced in part of the yard.  It made a pile for the township to pick up about fifty feet long, five feet high and six feet wide.  Lots of branches. The bigger logs I'm keeping for the fire pit.  I still have the woods part of the yard outside of the fence... there's just as much wood debris back there as was in the fenced in part.  It's taking me a while because I'm working by myself.  Eventually I'll get it done.  I want my nice yard back.  Tornadoes can really suck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner)