Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Customisable Glande Moulds - round or pointy ends, text, any size. (Read 2125 times)
Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Customisable Glande Moulds - round or pointy ends, text, any size.
May 21st, 2015 at 11:16am

Okay I've rewritten my mould script and made it fully parametric. That is to say I can make any size from small spheres to hand sized pointy ended glandes.

These moulds will be 3d printed in PLA.
PLA is polylactic acid.
It's an environmentally friendly recyclable plastic made from corn syrup - among other things.
It's a hard, durable plastic that comes in a variety of colours and won't poison your dog or small children should they choose to try and eat it (Dream's crunched up a few bits of pla with no noticeable effects).   
It's available in a variety of colours, very easy to print with and extremely durable - and that's all you need to know Smiley

Should anybody want one, I can also make flexible moulds from polyflex flexible pla. An amazing, bendy, stretchy super tough material. This may be of use for making wax glandes, though it does have a fairly low heat deformation point around 60c I think. But cool and soft wax would be fine.
It's a thought. I'll make a flexible test mould soon to see how feasible it is.
But for the time being think hard, durable plastic.

At the moment I have two types of mould available.

1)
Round ended glandes with or without text.

Available in any size - just remember: the smaller the glande the smaller the text. I will print small glandes with text at a higher resolution - but even so there are limits.  Round ended glandes come with a skirt cutter customised to the size of the mould.
Text on rounded glandes is limited to 12 characters.

2)
Pointy ended glandes with or without text

I haven't yet worked out how to make a pointy ended customised skirt cutter - as a result pointy ended mould sets will be cheaper than rounded ended ones. Until I work out how to generate the cutters Smiley Hopefully it won't take long 
Text on pointy glandes is limited to 9 characters.

To work out what size glande you want, I need just two measurements. Glande diameter (height/thickness) in the centre and the overall length.
So to put this into perspective.
In the picture below the pointy glande is 15mm diameter and 35 mm length.
The rounded glande is 25mm diameter and 54mm length

If you want a spherical mould, I just need the diameter and yes you can have text on spheres.

So I think that's the basic details.

Now to the all important - 'what's this going to cost me then ?'

Bear with me, as there are a variety of options here and I'll try to cover them all (lol).
All costs and payment are in Pounds sterling. Payment is via Paypal only - which will convert currencies for you.
Costs are plus Post and packing - which will be as low as I can keep it and - obviously - dependant on which country you live in.   

Mould Pricing

Round Ended Moulds

£8 for a set (two halves) - up to 60mm length and up to 30mm diameter Or up to a 50mm sphere
£10 for a set - up to 90mm length and up to 50 mm diameter Or up to a 70mm sphere
£12 for a set - 90 -120mm length and up to 60mm diameter Or up to a 100mm speher
Anything larger - we'll talk Smiley
£1 to add text to any mould half - no matter the size. Text is limited to 12 characters - spaces count as characters.

For a single mould half it's half the above pricing.
All moulds come with a custom sized skirt cutter

Pointy Ended Moulds

£7 for a set (two halves) - up to 60mm length and up to 30mm diameter Or up to a 50mm sphere
£9 for a set - up to 90mm length and up to 50 mm diameter Or up to a 70mm sphere
£11 for a set - 90 -120mm length and up to 60mm diameter Or up to a 100mm sphere
Anything larger - we'll talk Smiley

For a single mould half it's, half the above pricing.
Skirt cutters are free ONLY with a full set of two mould halves and otherwise are £2 each.

Add £1 to add text to a mould half - 9 character limit for pointy glandes.
They don't come with skirt cutters - yet.  Which is why they're currently cheaper - you have to cut the skirt off with a knife, screwdriver, long fingernail etc

REPEAT ORDERS

For all repeat orders of the same size and text moulds there will be a £1 reduction for 2 halves and £0.50 for one half. As I'll already have the rendered files ready to print. 

Once I've done a few orders I'll have an idea of postage.
Here's the current Royal Mail costings.
I usually use royal mail International Standard: small parcels - I will use tracked on request. I have never yet lost an international parcel - tracked or otherwise.
Weight wise a mould set of 30mmx55mm with skirt cutter will weigh around 40 gms plus the padded envelope and any packing to protect the cutter. I've ordered a sample of a new super tough material, that if works - I'll make the cutters from and they won't need protective packing. 
Larger orders will be sent in boxes not envelopes.

Colours Will be whatever I have on the printer at the time, unless requested otherwise- I'm happy to use a specific colour - if I've got it - failing that I'll offer you a choice. The small pointy mould above is printed with wood coloured pla. This is semi-translucent and my current favourite filament. Just ordered another roll.

I think that covers everything.
Any questions or moulds not covered by the above, ideas for new types of mould etc - feel free to PM me.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2015 at 7:53am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: Customisable Glande Moulds - round or pointy ends, text, any size.
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2015 at 5:57pm

Would you sell the file? Save a few stamps that way. My neighbor is a tool and die machinist at S&S cycle. They have all kinds of prototypers and cnc machines. I don't know if they could use your file or not though.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2015 at 7:47am

Hmm, I think for this particualr product - no.
I will be uploading .stl files to a pay-for-file service fairly soon.  But probably not these particular files.

The point here is to make a few quid selling moulds. Not selling a file so you can make as many of your own moulds as you like.

Nothing stopping you doing that yourself anyway. But the problem with digital content is that once it's out in the 'wild' so to speak' it will get shared and disseminated and I won't make anything out of that.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2015 at 5:23pm

...says the man who couldn't believe that he actually had to pay for software... Wink

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2015 at 12:44pm

lol - true, but to be fair the software I bought is hands down the best layout and slicing software you can get. And it really does improve your 3d prints to  a noticeable degree.
So while I did grumble about it, I do believe it was money well spent and I don't begrudge giving it to the people who wrote simplify3d.

It's not like photoshop where you can get a dozen opensource programs that are better and easier to use and free.

I'm currently working on a balloon stuffer for making jaegoors sand balloon ammo (I just don't feel right saying 'rusty balls')
That file will be a freebie as the sand filled balloons are probably the best easily made ammo for slinging competitions.
So the idea is a tough, easily printed gedget for stuffing sand quickly and easily into balloons.

MK1 is just about to start being made.
Once I've got one working then the .stl file will be available for anyone anywhere in the world. If you don't have or know someone with a3d printer - you can use a printing service.
The MK1 uses 57 gms of plastic. So should be fairly cheap to get printed.

It's horses for courses Smiley
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2015 at 3:52pm by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2015 at 8:08am

New teardrop moulds available:

teardrop-glande.png (13 KB | 125 )
teardrop-glande.png
teardrop-glande2.png (18 KB | 125 )
teardrop-glande2.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris)