Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
watches! (Read 1987 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

watches!
Apr 17th, 2015 at 7:25pm

Got myself a new watch yesterday after the old one stopped working properly.
Any watch fans in our ranks?
This one is not as flashy as my previous watch but I like it a lot! Feel free to post a pic of your piece too.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: watches!
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 7:26pm

The pic sucks its green if you can't tell

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 8:45pm

My favorite. Simple, inexpensive and accurate.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 10:22pm

I'm a bit of a watch collector. Most of the presents I've gotten from my father have been watches, but I've only bought two for myself.

A Seiko 5 Sport with an automatic movement
And a Timex Expedition that I put on a ZULU strap.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 8:59am

I have not worn a watch since I started carrying a cell phone.  They have always been problematic for me...Police work tended to be rather hard on them....
I still have a nice Seiko "eco-drive" around that the wfe bought me years ago...I haven't worn it in years.
Still keeps time though...Never needs to be wound....Just a light source.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 1:04pm

The "never needs a battery" is a nice bit of marketing for the Solar and Kinetic watches, but it's not strictly correct. They continuously recharge their capacitor or battery, but the capacitors tend to wear out after 20 years and the batteries after a little less. I do really like the Seiko Kinetic that I inherited from my Da, though. It combines the best of automatic and quartz movements, but it caught me off guard when the thing stopped ticking.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

LightSlinger
Funditor
slingingsport

All things in Moderation...
Except for Slinging..

Hanford, California
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 11:26pm

Bikewer wrote on Apr 18th, 2015 at 8:59am:
I have not worn a watch since I started carrying a cell phone.  They have always been problematic for me...Police work tended to be rather hard on them....

Know what you mean Bro.  I work at a Juvenile Correctional Facility and I've noticed that room searches are super hard on em.  Unfortunately, we cant have our cells in the units, so I gotta wear a watch anyway.  I usually stick with the cheap walmart watches you can get for $12.00.  They look pretty good, keep time, and I don't really mind when they get banged up.

Slinging Sport Rank: TIRO.   Highest Merit Award: Sling Crafter 3
I am a Demi-Mod...  
PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!
 itty-bitty living space
"A sling is a dependent weapon, relying on you for basically everything but mechanical advantage..."

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 6:27am

I have a Swiss army pocket watch. I don't like having a watch on my wrist. Good quality and keeps perfect time.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 1:49pm

I went through a phase of having a pocket watch. But they are murder on the lining of your pockets.

So i don't actually carry a watch as such.

Given that my car has a clock, as does my ebook, organiser and every computer i work on.

the times I might actually need a seperate and specific time source are so infrequent - I just don't see any point in carrying one any more.
last case scenario - ask someone what the time is Smiley Everybody else seems to have a watch lol

Plus they always used to get caught up in the innards of computers.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 3:15pm

Don't have a need for a watch since I carry my cell phone almost every where. Last time I wore a watch regularly was around 2001.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 9:24am

My grandmother gave me a watch as a High School graduation (1964) present. A self winding Bulova Presidential ... very thin gold case ... very elegant. I'd put it on and in 3 or 4 days it would be stone cold dead. My families  jeweler / watchmaker would wind it,  put it on and it would run for weeks then he would give it back. I'd put it on and once again in 3 or 4 days dead .... repeat above scenario until I tired of it and selected a different watch. ... Go figure ....

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 12:33am

Like Bikewer and Morphy I haven't worn a watch since the advent of cell phones.  I had a fairly nice collection of them too.. it's a shame.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)